Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Piston Rifles; LWRC or LMT?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    As an owner of pre-ban AKs in the US, and have played with select fire versions overseas, you still have a basic standardized system which is robust and simple. I would hope that if the piston system AR has a future, there would be a standardized system as well. A system that is easy to maintain.

I have noticed that both LMT and LWRC have their own rail system installed. Can most rail systems (i.e. KAC RAS) work as well or are there clearance problems with the height of the piston not found with the gas tube?

OH58D
    Quite possibly with any adoption of a 'Piston' system by the 'Government', the piston system would be standardized. Since no such adoption seems eminent by our government, no standardization of 'Piston systems' is in the near future.

About the rail systems on LMT and LWRCI, I can only speak about my LMT. LMTs 'Piston' rifle uses it's propriety MRP CQB upper which is a true 'monolith' one piece upper. These rails are milled from a single piece of billet aluminum and are extremely sturdy. That is the one quality of the LMT that drew me to it instead of getting the LWRCI. A person is stuck using LMT barrels but that is something I liked. Going with the LMT, a person can change calibers by changing barrel/BCG and the versatility is great. LMT offers .204 Ruger, 5.56 NATO, 6.8 SPC and in the future, I have heard that they are looking into 6.5G. I would really like to see them bring out one in 458 SOCOM. All are in a DI version now, but I'm sure in the future, they will be available in their own 'Piston' version. That is another beauty in going with LMTs MRP CQB system. You can change from Piston to DI and back again very easily.

I guess it's all in what you want or think you want in which rifle. I'm sure LWRCI makes a very fine rifle and I know LMT does, so I believe with whichever you go with, you won't be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post

single piece of billet aluminum
    It's not billet. It's a forging.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by couch_potato View Post
    It's not billet. It's a forging.

Yes, they are forgings and are very good ones!!! Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    I went with LMT

why ? I like them and sure both are great setups but when I was at a shop a guy had a LWRC that had a canted front sight ? and it was his second one !!!!!!
    every company has QC issues though so once I am perfect I can bitch but until then I give them a pass as LMT has had issues !

but it also gave me a chance to have one in hand and I just liked the looks and feel of the LMT in hand with its MRP setup over the other

I say choose the one you like and be happy

Feedback Score
    I went with the LMT also. Ive gotten to fire a few diff piston systems on active duty, I didnt see alot of difference in performance between the (limited) samples we had. I like the MRP CQB platform the LMT is built on. You can swap calibers, even go from piston to DI fairly quickly. Also Ive always had good experience with LMT and I appreciate the company and their bending over backwards to accomodate military customers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just shot the LMT MRP piston against the HK 416 for a day long test session which I will put up in a few days...

The LMT MRP is clearly the better gun of the two... we also have a LWRC first gen gun available, but I can not make the assumption against the M6A1 we have.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I recently ran one of my LWRC 10.5's through Larry Vickers 3 Day pistol/carbine class and the only problem I had was a couple of bad pmags otherwise it ran smooth. I went with the LWRC because I could get it in varying lengths such as the 10.5. However, I am sure that LMT is making a quality rifle & the MRP is very attractive. When they start getting the 12.5 out I might take a look at it.

Interestingly when asked LAV did say if you needed to go with a pistol set up that you could actually buy, go with the LWRC. I did not think to ask him about LMT's pistol setup, I should have since those are probably the most competing piston manufacturers.
    Last edited by Sigmax; 02-13-09 at 12:37.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234