Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 45 Questions...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    G&R Tactical usually has the best prices on M&P's that I've found. Grant's pretty helpful, too...He might even be convinced to install sights for you.
    I'm having trouble locating the MGW tool so I asked Grant if he could install my sights. He wrote me back that he no longer does that.

I like dealing with Grant, but I have to pay Ohio sales tax when I do.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Wow, that's interesting.
    My local bunch of dumbasses (gun dealer) told me that the 45 ONLY came in the MID and FULL size, and they told me that the M&P9 mini compact had a 3" bbl!
    Anyhow, they also told me that the midsize 45 had a 4.25" bbl, and the full size had a 5" bbl.

Yet another reason it would be nice for S&W to at least have all the models shown somewhwere on their site, for comparison purposes...
    Here's a rundown of them by Hilton Yam for future reference:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    There are 3 sizes of the M&P45. The midsize has a 10 round mag and a 4" barrel. The compact has an 8 round mag and 4" barrel. The full size has a 10 round mag and a 4.5" (not 5") barrel.

The compact is the roughly G19-sized model.
    You're right. I completely forgot about the mid-sized M&P. Blonde moment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I'm having trouble locating the MGW tool so I asked Grant if he could install my sights. He wrote me back that he no longer does that.

I like dealing with Grant, but I have to pay Ohio sales tax when I do.
    Well, my friend, you are on the right forum. There are a lot of M&P sight tools here and I'm sure somebody would be more than willing to loan you one. I've got a deal in the works with somebody right now, but if I don't need the tool for him I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.

Feedback Score
    My only regret with my M&P45 mid is that it is not FDE.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score

Love my M&P's

Only have 1 picture of the work Dan Burwell did last year:
    • FDE Full Size to start
    • 10-8 rears
    • Triji front
    • "Melt" job
    • NP3 Finished slide/internals
    • 3.5lb trigger job
    • "Sharkskin" stippling in all the right places

**with a min. of a $65 trigger job, Dan will install your supplied sights for FREE! I like 10-8, Warren and Dan has some nice ones as well (have them on my M&P40C

New Black M&P45 Full is with Dan at the moment. Having trigger and "Sharkskin" done on this one as well as the Crimson Trace grips.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some good information here. Especially since I'm getting ready to add a couple of M&P .45's to the collection.

Feedback Score
    Well guys, I've finally decided on the model I want, and I'm going to order the MIDSIZE 4" M&P 45, in black, and with regular white dot sights, so I can add some of the Warren, or ??? other sights immediately.
    I am still trying to decide on whether or not I want the 1911 style thumb safety, and honestly, I was totally against it at first, due to the fact that I've always felt the striker fired guns were meant to NOT have a thumb safety.
    HOWEVER, the more I think about it, and after reading Hilton Yam's review, I am kind of thinking I might like it, to keep with my training with my 1911's.
    I do however, have one major concern, and that is the fact that everyone seems to say that the thumb safety is totally loose, and not tight at all.
    I have got to say that's very disappointing that S&W can't even get that right. There's no excuse for something that ridiculous.
    I have heard that some of the smiths working on the M&P's, are actually tightening up the thumb safety, but I have no idea if this FULLY corrects the problem or not? I do NOT want to find my safety flipping on and off without deliberately flipping it myself. Not for safety reasons, but for the simple fact that it would be a PIA to keep up with whether or not the safety is on, when I draw the pistol.

Finally, I would like to ask about all the different sights offered for the M&P line.
    -Are they ALL using the same dovetail found on the stock M&P, or do any of them require re-machining of the slide?
    Thanks.

P.S.
    Where the hell can I find a dealer who has good pricing like Grant does/did? Grant has nothing in stock in 45 (I think he had ONE or something?), and before I purchase, I wanted to ask if you guys could recommend a dealer who keeps GOOD stock, and has the best, or close to best pricing?
    Thanks.
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Well, my friend, you are on the right forum. There are a lot of M&P sight tools here and I'm sure somebody would be more than willing to loan you one. I've got a deal in the works with somebody right now, but if I don't need the tool for him I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.
    Thank you for your kind offer. I asked about borrowing or renting on http://MP-Pistol.com. No luck. It never occurred to me to do the same here. Live and learn.

I did buy one and successfully installed my new Warren Tactical Tritium 2-dot sights. Love them. I'll either sell the MGW, or rent it as I only own two M&Ps.

For the novice, there were a few things I think could have been explained better in the "no pictures" instructions. I am somewhat tool-challenged so I always go slowly the first time. I am putting together some instruction with pictures to remind me of what I learned and the mistakes to avoid.

I did learn about doing the removal in a plastic bag to capture the spring and cap under the rear sight. Still managed to lose the spring while installing the new sights. Was wetting my hair in the shower several hours later and found the spring. Got lucky.
    Last edited by HowardCohodas; 02-16-09 at 00:29.
    Howard

Feedback Score
    I do however, have one major concern, and that is the fact that everyone seems to say that the thumb safety is totally loose, and not tight at all.
    I have got to say that's very disappointing that S&W can't even get that right. There's no excuse for something that ridiculous.
    I can only speak for mine, but before I removed the thumb safety activation lever, I had no "looseness" problem.

P.S.

Where the hell can I find a dealer who has good pricing like Grant does/did? Grant has nothing in stock in 45 (I think he had ONE or something?), and before I purchase, I wanted to ask if you guys could recommend a dealer who keeps GOOD stock, and has the best, or close to best pricing?
    Thanks.
    I would highly recommend that to try Buds Gun Shop. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...cPath/21_39_71 I have had excellent results with them. Great prices and fast delivery. Grant also is great, but I would have to pay Ohio sales tax if I bought from him.
    Howard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast