Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec blues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Keltec blues

After a week of shooting my new Keltec PF-9 with various factory fmj and jhp rds, I experienced frequent extraction and feeding problems---not magazine related. My gunsmith refit the extractor, polished the chamber and feed ramp, and smoothed up the breechface. Now it shoots reliably but has developed another problem. The slide has become so loose in its fit to the frame that it moves up and down and side to side in an alarming fashion. Too, the bottom edge of the slide is digging into the side of the aluminum frame.

Keltec will have another try with this one when they receive it next week. Any comments?

Feedback Score
    williejc,

One thing about Kel Tec is they have one of the best customer service departments I have ever dealt with.

Right out of the box, my PF-9's point of impact was around 7" high and 7" to the left of point of aim. I tried 8 different rounds with different bullit sizes and configurations and I let 3 of my buddies shoot the gun and still had pretty much the same results. My slide was loose as well and the plastic magazine release button did not always work properly.

Two weeks to the day my dealer sent it to Kel Tec, it was back. It had a new metal magazine release button that works perfectly and a tighter slide....not 1911 tight mind you but much better. Best of all it now shot to point of aim out to 25 yards and made nice little 2" groups at 15 yards that only marginally grew at 25 yards, when I did my part. I now have over 1200 rounds through it and it has never failed to function in any way. It is my go everywhere gun usually carried in a Galco pocker holster you see here.

All it takes for evil to occur, is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!

Feedback Score
    I had three Kel-Tecs, all of them junk. They all went back to the factory three times each. New frames, new slides, etc., etc. Fewer than 200 rounds through any of them.

When they came back from Kel-Tec the third time, I left them in their boxes and traded them for Glocks. Best move I ever made!

If Kel-Tec pistols worked, they would be great, but they just don't work, and the primary criterion for any personal protection firearm is absolute reliability. Kel-Tecs are about as far from that as any piece of garbage ever made.

One Kel-Tec owner said he tried to make a pencil holder out of his Kel-Tec, but it wouldn't feed those either!

Get rid of it (them)!!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckskinJoe View Post
    I had three Kel-Tecs, all of them junk. They all went back to the factory three times each. New frames, new slides, etc., etc. Fewer than 200 rounds through any of them.

When they came back from Kel-Tec the third time, I left them in their boxes and traded them for Glocks. Best move I ever made!

If Kel-Tec pistols worked, they would be great, but they just don't work, and the primary criterion for any personal protection firearm is absolute reliability. Kel-Tecs are about as far from that as any piece of garbage ever made.

One Kel-Tec owner said he tried to make a pencil holder out of his Kel-Tec, but it wouldn't feed those either!

Get rid of it (them)!!
    I have had two, one was flawless out of the box the other after 100 rounds. (I didn't clean it initially or until after 100 rounds so that may have had something to do with it) Guess I got lucky! I carry one all the time as my bug or as a ultra deep cover gun.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    I have a P-32 and PF-9, both flawless.

Kel-Tec is plastic and rough around the edges.

A "Fluff & Buff" which is nothing more than a detailed cleaning and polishing almost has to be the first thing done to Kel-Tecs. Try a Google search or check the Kel-Tec owners forum for instructions.

In a perfect world, we'd all buy beautifully finished, individually tested, perfectly working weapons. But the fact is, a Kel-Tec is a semi-finished product.

Don't misunderstand. I think the Kel-Tec is very good for what it is and a value. But I also think every Kel-Tec should have Fluff & Buff instructions in the box it comes in.

Try the Fluff & Buff. If that does not work... send it back. Kel-Tec has excellent CS.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by LDM; 02-17-09 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    What's the issue?

This is like buying an Olympic Arms AR and wondering why it's a piece of shit.
    Last edited by markm; 02-17-09 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I called Keltec today about my PF-9 in this thread. The nice man said there is a 4-6 week turnaround. About +p ammo....he said no more than one magazine of it through the pistol during its service life and that +p+ is absolutely not to used. To me his message is to use standard pressure rounds only. I asked about slide wobble and learned that such is the nature of this beast.

If I had it to do over, I would not have purchased this pistol, but now that I have it, I plan to give the gun a chance. I may carry premium quality fmj ammo in the mag and a +p jhp in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    I've had a P3AT for about 3 months. Wanted a LCP but they were impossible to find, then cam the recall. After buying the KelTec I read a bunch of posts on the internet and was prepared for the worst. I did deburr the frame after buying it, lots of flash and sharp edges, but that's all I've done. No fluff and buff or polishing anything. Shoots where I point it and functioning is extremely reliable. Perhaps mine is the exception but after about 350+ rounds it is still running fine. It's definitely no Glock but I'm growing fond of it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Their CS does seem to get ample practice at what they do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What's the issue?

This is like buying an Olympic Arms AR and wondering why it's a piece of shit.
    LOL My stepdad had a keltec 9mm and that one was a pos jammed every other round .he sold it and bought a glock 30 after shooting mine .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast