Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Commander 9x23...

Feedback Score
    What are the odds, I thought I was the only one!!!!???? I picked up an old LW Commander in .38 Super to do the same thing with. I started last Jan. , I even matted the top of the slide and had EGW do the borders when machining for the 10'8 sights. Mine has a BarSto barrel though. Amazing how similar the concepts are though. Mine is checkered 25lpi (my 1st checkeing job, and matte job for that matter). Of course it won't turn out as nice as this, but it's mine anyhow. Great job on that one! Heirloom is what aspire to be half as good as, hopefully more. All because my Gander Mountain was clearancing 9x23 silvertips for $8- a box about 3 yrs. ago! This is just the inspiration I needed to get out and fit that barrel!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What a fine looking pistol.

Two-tone is not dead after all even thought you don't see them as much as in the past.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Jason,

As always, your works of art are stunning in their execution. I would love to just sit there and watch you as you recieve a gun from a customer, that gives you carte blanche to its design/outcome and tap into your mind as the ideas unfold. You are truly a artist of the mechanical tool we all call a firearm.

I have been a fan of the commander sized 1911 for as long as I can remember, especially since I started legally carrying concealed some 18 years ago. I have been through several different brands and finishes. I finally decided to open my purse strings a bit and 5 years ago purchased a stainless Wilson Combat Professional. I have never regretted the purchase and it is the only commander sized 1911 I have left. Even though I handload, because that gun is so fun to shoot it is expensive, as I never have a session that less than 100 rounds went through the barrel. I wanted something cheaper and of the same size to practice with. Practice, of course includes drawing from concealment and firing time and time again to become proficient, that if God forbid, I ever had to defend myself. I looked an looked and had made the decision not to go the .22 route. Then I came across this Para USA LTC. It is a light weight, alloy frame commander sized gun and in 9mm. I picked it up for a decent price and took it home. It was cleaned, inspected and relubed. A week later it went to the range with 300 rounds of 9mm ammo of different sizes and bullet configurations. I have found my backup commander. Having a match grade barrel and cleanly breaking 4.5# trigger is not a bad thing either. Sights are much better than those that were on previous Para's. The only thing I dislike about this gun is the finish really sucks a big one. I plan to have it refinished in the near future with something that will stick to the alloy frame and slide alike. I have carried this gun several times and though the Professional is my favorite, the lighter weight of this one is really noticable. The Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 holster is in my opinion the perfect IWB holster for the commander sized guns.

Last edited by tex45acp; 02-14-09 at 07:52.
    All it takes for evil to occur, is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Guys, thanks so much for the comments... they are much appreciate as is your time. Thank you!

The best part about this gun is the gentleman it's going to. He is currently out and about doing the good work of the country and, as in the past, it is my pleasure to be able to work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg View Post
    Nice. What mags do you recommend that can actually be seated with slide forward and 10 rounds in the mag?
    The mags I delivered with this gun were the Wilson Combat 9mm ETM. They are sold as a 9mm magazine but can be converted to fit the 9x23 by removing the plastic ‘spacer’ that sits behind the follower. As I said in another thread, this is not something the good people at Wilson may have intended (I don’t know) nor even want you to do but it works and worked very well in my guns.
    Last edited by Jason Burton; 02-14-09 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Great looking blaster Jason!

ToddG Guest
    Jason, I think I speak for everyone in the forum when I say a gun like that would make for an outstanding "50,000 rounds in six months" test. Right guys?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Jason, I think I speak for everyone in the forum when I say a gun like that would make for an outstanding "50,000 rounds in six months" test. Right guys?
    I cant think of a better pistol to test for 50k rounds. I am sure he can box it right up and have it to you by Tue.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

excuse my caliber ignorance, but what exactly is a 9x23 round????

Awesome looking gun, by the way

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Its like a 9x19, but 4mm longer and loaded to rifle pressures. 125 at 1500. Makes the .357 Sig look silly.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Its like a 9x19, but 4mm longer and loaded to rifle pressures. 125 at 1500. Makes the .357 Sig look silly.
    Actually, the spec on factory ammo from Winchester was 125gr @ 1,450fps from a 5" barrel, compared to 1,350fps from a 4" barrel for 357 SIG.

For an idea of what half an inch of barrel will earn you with a high pressure pistol cartridge such as the 357 SIG, see this post at SIGforum. Guns used were a SIG P226 (4.4" bbl) and SIG P229 (3.86" bbl). Testing two lots of Gold Dot and one of Winchester Range, the OP in that thread averaged 44fps faster in the longer barrel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast