Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ARs stored cocked n' locked?

Feedback Score

ARs stored cocked n' locked?

Most of our forum members are probably not military. Their main purpose for a M4 style weapon is defensive purposes. With that being said, what is the most effective way for a civilian to store their HD M4-style weapon and still have it remain accessible at a moments notice? God bless this great country, may she always remain the land of the free.

Feedback Score
    Full mag inserted, hammer down on an empty chamber.

MBR

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Unless I'm expecting imminent trouble, I keep mine in Condition 3 w/a loaded mag & the hammer down. All I need do is chamber a rd and I'm gtg.
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRMan View Post
    Full mag inserted, hammer down on an empty chamber.

MBR
    What he said.

Feedback Score
    Condition 1 just like a 1911 Semi Auto. Absolutely no negatives to having one in the tube with the safety on, and one less thing to think about when you need it NOW!

Feedback Score
    Condition 1 just like a 1911 Semi Auto. Absolutely no negatives to having one in the tube with the safety on, and one less thing to think about when you need it NOW!
    Except if you accidentally bang the buttstock, it could slam fire as the bolt will release and slam forward. Thick primers prevent this but you never know. Saw this happen too many times with blanks in an M16. And that was with military hard primers.

If you live in a neighborhood that requires you keep a full loaded, cocked, and locked AR, you need to move. The time it takes to rack the bolt and chamber a round takes less time than it does to read this sentence.

If you store your AR in a safe, all this is moot as it takes time to get the safe open. Loaded mag on an empty chamber is the safest method to store the gun.
    Last edited by TangoChaser; 12-07-08 at 01:35.

Feedback Score
    I keep my AR's with a mag inserted but the carrier is locked open and the ejection doors are open so all I have to do is release the carrier and I am ready to go. I keep the ejection doors open so if my girlfriend needs to use one for some god forsaken reason she can easily see the status of the AR.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not! What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Absolutely no negatives to having one in the tube with the safety on
    i can think of a negative, kind of a big one too.

want to keep a weapon with a round in the chamber, do it with a weapon with a firing pin block.

my nightstand SIG always has a round in the chamber. my HD AR is kept "cruiser ready"

we keep having to go over this too.... ARs are not drop-safe
    Last edited by Parabellum9x19mm; 12-07-08 at 01:41.
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum9x19mm View Post
    i can think of a negative, kind of a big one too.

want to keep a weapon with a round in the chamber, do it with a weapon with a firing pin block.

my nightstand SIG always has a round in the chamber. my HD AR is kept "cruiser ready"

we keep having to go over this too.... ARs are not drop-safe
    Firing pin blocks are not necessary when you are in control of your weapon. 1911's hadn't had them for years until the politicians made Colt do it on the series 80's. They're the only ones to do it because they're pussies!

AN AR is no good if you're not cocked and locked when the shit hits the fan. Period!!! Not enough time to remember to pull the charging handle.

Do you guys realize that from the time a BG knocks down your door, and you awake that it only takes 3 seconds for him to be in your bedroom??? And you still will be in a daze. Time is of the essnce. Worrying about a round going off because you dropped your gun shouldn't even figure into the warrior mind set.

Same goes for the 12GA. Shotty. 1 in the tube with a full mag.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Oh my.....here we go again. This has been discussed here before and I believe that thread ended up being locked. My personal preference is a loaded magazine, empty chamber, weapon on fire. Everyone is different and what they feel comfortable will vary.

Todd,

Your little 3 second rule is ridciulous and since no house or layout is alike doesn't hold water. In addition to any rifle or shotgun that is available my handgun is loocked and loaded and probably easier to use in a situation like you describe. YMMV.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast