Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ML2 on Ultimak...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I thought someone else in that class had an M2 die - wasn't it MILF Masta?
    Milfmasta's Aimpoint was on the blink. The dot would blink on and off on him when he shot. I'm not an Aimpoint expert but it sounds to me like more of a vibration thing due to a screw loose in the optic itself. I'm not sure if the optic had always lived on his AK or if he had it mounted on something else before putting it on the AK.

I was actually running a CompC in the AK class with my Vepr-K. I had no issues.

...that being said, the Vickers course wasn't an absurdly high round count course either. We did a good bit of shooting, but it was less than the 800 rounds I brought to the class. Over two days that's not a whole lot of shooting, so I didn't really heat the Ultimak up very much. If we were in a high round count course with tactical mag dumps as a part of the course would my CompC have melted down on me? I don't know.

My personal preference on an Ultimak AK would be the micro. The electronics in that little sight are much more advanced than the electronics in my CompC and I would be more comfortable with the improved electronics to handle the heat better than my CompC. FJB can correct me there if I am wrong.

The smaller size makes much more efficient use of the limited rail space on the Ultimak, which leaves room for mounting a good light. If you have the scratch, the micro is the way to go for the AK platform, IMO.

All that being said, I'd trust any Aimpoint on an Ultimak before any of the other RDS optics on the market.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 02-13-09 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've run my SLR-106FR through about 4 classes with the T-1/Ultimak combo and have NO issues.

That doesn't count standard range time.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okay, so T-1 it is. Now I just need to track one down.

Thanks for all off the help so far.

Matt

Feedback Score
    +1 with what Templar and JohnWayne have posted. The two CompM2 sights had bad switches unrelated to heat. I have ran the T-1 on an AK with a Surefire mount through a 400 round one day class in 105 degree AZ heat without issue. I now have an Ultimak Rail on the AK and will run it hard in a class in the near future in order to report on how well it performs. I don't expect the combination to have any issues.

JohnWayne is your CompC a C3?

S/F

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used the an Aimpoint Comp ML on a Romanian SAR-1 with Ultimak and had no issues. I didnt run it in any course, but my friends an I ran it fairly hard, firing 600+ rds in a day between the 3 of us.

However, with that said, my SA85 build I will not use an optic at all, but instead go with the XS setup.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I ran a 30mm Aimpoint C3 or M2 IIRC through a Vickers class (the 2nd one ever IIRC).....no problems to report. Those other donkeys probably forgot about that.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well, everyone is telling me that the three separate Aimpoint M2 series optics that I have personally witnessed have issues - while mounted on UltiMAK rails - were all a coincidence.

So I stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a M2 fail on my AK during one of the LL1 classes (the one where FJB) was attending. It would blink out during recoil and was attributed to a bad switch. About 4 months after that course I was running a T/E gun (M&P-15T) at a Pat Rogers class. The optic, another M2, had the exact same problem as the one on my AK. I was told that time that the switch was going bad due to people constantly turning the sight on and off. It was recommended that I turn the sight on and just leave it on in order to avoid the problem in the future.
    Last edited by NCPatrolAR; 02-26-09 at 11:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12