Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT Piston with Can

Feedback Score

LMT Piston with Can

Does anyone have a LMT piston rifle and they have a can mounted? Have you had any issues with it cycling the action completely and locking the bolt open on the last round? I am considering buying one and would like to hear from others who have tried this. I have an AAC M4-2000-08 that I would be using on it.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    I have a LMT piston and a can (Gemtech Halo) and if works great. I haven't really run it through the ringer yet, but what time that I have spent with it, has been fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 16" LMT MRP Piston that has +900 rounds with a Gemtech Halo with zero failures.....yet to clean it.
    My 12" conversions came in last week and I ran one of them this weekend with another Halo....400 rounds FA and SA, not one problem.
    LMT Pistons are Sweet!

Feedback Score
    I just converted my LMT MRP to a 12" piston gun with a GemTech G5.I could not mount the suppressor due to a clearance issue.Fixed it with a dremmel tool.I will shoot it tomorrow and let you know how it runs.
    Last edited by bigthunder223; 03-08-09 at 01:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigthunder223 View Post
    I just converted my LMT MRP to a 12.5" piston gun with a GemTech G5.I could not mount the suppressor due to a clearance issue.Fixed it with a dremmel tool.I will shoot it tomorrow and let you know how it runs.
    Could you post a pic of the problem/fix.

Feedback Score
    No before or after pics available.The tab on the front of the gas plug(used to remove the plug)prevented the suppressor from being attached to the mount.I removed the tab with a dremmel and refinished the plug.I am still able to remove the plug with my fingers.It may become difficult to remove when the rifle is dirty.If so,I will simply cut a slot for a screwdriver in the front of the plug.

Feedback Score
    Fired 120 rounds today through an LMT piston with 12" barrel and GemTech can.I experienced 4 FTF;all with the same magazine.The rifle was just as dirty as my DI guns after firing.I am not convinced there is a significant benefit to the piston system.
    Last edited by bigthunder223; 03-08-09 at 01:16.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    bigthunder,

Have you fired the weapon without the suppressor? Not sure if you are aware of this but even a piston gun will get dirty because the suppressor actually forces crap back into the weapon. Same thing happens with DI weapons as well.

Fired 120 rounds today through an LMT piston with 12" barrel and GemTech can.I experienced 4 FTF;all with the same magazine.The rifle was just as dirty as my DI guns after firing.I am not convinced there is a significant benefit to the piston system.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My buddy choked an LWRC gun after 1,000 rounds of no cleaning just adding oil. He also, like you, figured out that there is no substitute for cleaning.

Make sure you continue to document problems, if you have to send it to LMT they will want to know specifics.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    As a result of some gun trading I decided I couldn't resist the siren call of a LMT CQB MRP Defender Model Piston 16. I justified it further by the fact I should be able to easily sell it or the POF USA Carbine if necessary. I paid a somewhat reasonable price for it ($2100) given the current market conditions.

I sent my POF upper back for warranty work to repair the consistent failure to lock the action open on an empty mag UNLESS the mag had an Magpul enhanced follower. My POF will not run consistently when my AAC M4 2000-08 is mounted. It short cycles the action and never locks the action open on an empty mag even with Magpul enhanced follower mags. When I asked Mark at POF about this his reply was "what kind of ammo are you using?". Uh, Lake City XM193, Black Hills, PMC, handloads, etc. (Must be the ammo.) The other question was "which way is the piston facing? Single ring forward for a can, double-ring normal. It didn't seem to matter which way the piston was facing the gun was unreliable.

You can imagine my anticipation upon taking the LMT to the range for the first time. Was I going to have the same issues as I was experiencing with the POF? I was resigned to the same experience and I was extremely pleased and surprised at how the LMT functioned. In a word - Perfectly! I tried every mag I had including some beta Lancer mags and it functioned flawlessly as in no failures whatsoever. The next big test was mounting my AAC can on it. It made no difference it ran perfectly with all mags. I looked at the manual again to find out how to orient the piston for suppressed use and found out there is only one way that the piston fits. A big plus for the LMT design by not having to fumble with a little piece of metal.

As far as cleaning is concerned the BCG on both guns look as if they never require cleaning after firing several hundred rounds. Some carbon blows back into the BCG/receiver area with a can mounted and you'll want to clean this area every 1000+ rounds or more. The piston section of the LMT stays cleaner than the POF. In fact it doesn't even look dirty after firing the same number of rounds between the two guns. If you don't use a can you probably can get by for a very long time by only cleaning the barrel of the LMT.

I'm sure I will receive my upper back from POF in total reliable working order to bring it to the same level of reliability that LMT is producing out of the box. Knowing what I know now if I were trying to decide between purchasing the LMT or POF I would without hesitation buy the LMT.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast