Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rohrbaugh 9MM

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Rohrbaugh 9MM

Has anyone herd of a rorbaugh 9MM? a co-worker baught one anf never herd of the company.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

Feedback Score
    http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html

A tiny 9mm pocket pistol. However, its size puts limitations on it. You cannot shoot +P or +P+ ammunition through it, it has a very slow twist rate to reduce recoil torque(anything over 115gr may have accuracy problems), and the recoil spring wears out fast. Due to the very light slide mass, it is much more dependent on the recoil spring for recoil absorption. I think Rohrbaugh rates it at 500rds or less before it needs replacing. There's several reviews around the net, and none of them really have raving reviews on it. Most testing claims it is very finicky about ammo.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 02-06-09 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    OK thanks for the info wow he said he paid 1,200.00 for it
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

Feedback Score
    I have an R9S Stealth.

The Rohrbaugh definitely has some peculiarities that must be considered. However, it does what no other pistol can do at this point - carry seven rounds of full power 9mm in a package almost identical to .380 class pistols.

The pistol is not without caveats, but it definitely has utility.

Tim
    Last edited by sigmundsauer; 02-06-09 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    I handled one back last oct/nov time frame at my fun store. It is a good looking weapon, but for the price, holly dog sh&t batman! I'll stick with my M&P9c thanks!
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    I handled one back last oct/nov time frame at my fun store. It is a good looking weapon, but for the price, holly dog sh&t batman! I'll stick with my M&P9c thanks!
    The M&P9c is a fine pistol, but hardly in the same size class as the Rohrbaugh.

Rohrbaugh ain't perfect, but it does what no other pistol can do at this point.

Making a 13 oz auto pistol work reasonably well with full power 9mm ammunition is a very, very tricky task. And although I will say that it does not work as well as any of my compact 9mm's (which are really just chopped full size pistols), I'm amazed that it works as well as it does.

Regarding the price. It is a very, very limited market. The high costs of investing in state-of-the-art CNC equipment and manual labor to produce such a niche pistol have to get passed along somewhere. If Rohrbaugh was able to sell enough of them to compete with mainstream handguns like the Smith 442, I am sure the price would be considerably less expensive.

But, again, it's the price of ownership for a pocket pistol that fires full power 9mm.

Tim

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Rohrbaugh

I think the Rohrbaughs are great weapons. I wanted no smaller than a 9mm for a carry weapon and my R9s more than fits the bill. I am a medium frame guy and the Rohrbaugh is very easy to conceal in a cargo pocket, even a front pocket of my pants or shorts. It suites my more than casual attire but always gives me that extra assurance that I have at least a 9mm.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of my co-workers likes his R9S enough that he bought a second one. I've never had the opportunity to shoot the Rohrbaugh, though, so I'm in no position to render judgement.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    I'll echo what others have said -It's a tiny little niche, but it owns the niche. For a wallet-size pistol in 9mm, it's the only game in town.

At over a grand each, I sold about 100 Kel-Tec P3AT pistols for every Rohrbaugh. BUT, every Rohrbaugh owner was happy with what he got, which I could not say about those who bought the Kel-Tec. I fluffed-and-buffed my Kel-Tec into operation, but it wasn't a Rorhbaugh. If you just had to have a 9mm pistol in your change pocket, it's the only thing on the market, and it does what it advertises, within the realm of expectations for pocket pistols, of course.

Not a lot of fun to shoot after 4 mags, but the half-dozen or so I saw all worked with 2-3 types of ammo, and shot right where pointed at 7 yards. If you can afford it, I say load it, get some practice, carry it.

Feedback Score
    A Kahr PM9 is only
    1/10 of an inch longer.
    1/4 of an inch taller.
    5/100 of an inch thicker.
    1.2 oz heavier
    It will handle any type of ammo you want to put in it and you can find them in the $650 range.
    Last edited by MarkC; 02-09-09 at 17:43.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast