Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corbon DPX 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP duty ammo vs. Fed HST as control

Feedback Score
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Can anyone suggest a good source for the HST ammo?

Feedback Score
    Federal Cartridge...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    cronus5116--I am quite happy carrying any of the following, depending upon which is most reliable and accurate in my specific pistol, as well as what is readily available in adequate quantities to ensure initial function check, zero, and carry use (minimum of 500-1000 rounds):

Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

FWIW, the HST is currently being used here--it is performing as well or perhaps slightly better in OIS incidents than the Ranger-T that was issued for the previous decade...
    DocGKR,

The PPD issues Federal HST in 9mm 147gr, .40S&W 165gr and .45acp 230gr and with 6800 officers it maybe a good source of OIS information.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Just keep a lookout for your favorite online stores. It rarely stays in stock very long now days. I'm shooting more .40 now days as it seems to be a lot easier to find what ammo I want on the market. Or you can go to a local gun store and they will put you on a waiting list for your ammo of choice when they get some in.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score

Streicher's Police Supply usually has HST in stock.
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Shawn,

The all copper Barnes XPB bullets exhibit conventional JHP deformation. They are efficient cutters; in addition, look at all that empty space between the extended "petals" when the projectile is expanded--not much drag/resistance there...
    Much like the 180 grain .357 Magnum Winchester Partition Gold...

Feedback Score
    .......the only area of concern was a propensity for the Barnes XPB bullets to have difficulties with auto windshield intermediate barriers. The Barnes bullets would frequently begin to yaw off course after only a few centimeters of travel in gel and would often veer to 90 degrees and exit the gel blocks in under 10 cm--this phenomena requires further study.
    Doc-

Steering forces induced by the expanded stellate form encountering anomolous (density) regions within the soft solid flow?

Kind of a 'rudder' effect if you will?
    Last edited by 481; 06-11-10 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    I know I've asked before, but I have never seen an answer - how does the standard pressure 124gr HST compare to the standard pressure 147gr HST and the 124gr +p HST? Specifically from a short barrel G26?

50 FPS difference between the standard pressure and the same weight +p doesn't seem like it would make that much difference in terminal performance. The heavier 147gr may make a meaningfull difference in penetration over the 124gr, I don't know. I do remember reading on this forum that the +p aids in feeding reliability, expecially if the gun is dirty or not gripped properly.

The only data I've seen on performance came from Federal and used a G17. That data actually made the 124gr seem to perform a little better overall than did the 147gr (standard pressure only, no +p versions were tested as none were available at the time).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How would the .45 auto rim 160 gr DPX compare to the BG and 4LD performance results of the .45 acp 160 gr DPX? I'm assuming the same, but we all know assumptions can be dangerous so I figured I would ask.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast