Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wyoming to repeal CCW reciprocity for all but 8 states starting March 1.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm from Wyoming, living in VA.

Feedback Score
    Wyoming: Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Friday, February 20, 2009

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

Thank you for all of your calls and support!

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

I did not see a press release from the Wyoming Attorney General's office on the DCI wedsite. Press release above is from the NRA website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecor View Post
    I did not see a press release from the Wyoming Attorney General's office on the DCI wedsite. Press release above is from the NRA website.
    Did you read the link I posted? NRA-ILA did a phenomenal job here: http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html
    Last edited by NickB; 02-22-09 at 04:19.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    NickB,

I did see the post on the front page of the WY DCI website. Some how it didnt register as being a change from my last visit. Maybe I am color blind and the red quote caused the failure.

Thanks

The formerly gun-loving state of Colorado.
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad of the press release from NRA because, frankly, the WY DCI website just says what the original letter said: They're reviewing their reciprocity to see which states have similar laws to determine who gets reciprocity. Without the response from gun-owners and the NRA, I'm sure the next change to the website would have been posting the new, very limited, list of reciprocity.

Feedback Score
    The local paper Cheyenne Tribune Eagle ran a story today echoing what has been said by the Wyoming DCI. I get the feeling that they are testing the waters and went head first before really looking.
    http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/...p_02-22-09.txt

Feedback Score
    I just received the following e-mail from Christopher Crofts from the governor's office in Wyoming. It is two pages in length but from the first paragraph it is obvious the governor's office was overwhelmed with responses on the change in reciprocity laws.

Thanks to everyone who fired off an e-mail, phone call, or snail mail. It obviously got their attention. From this memo it looks like they're trying to figure if they can crawdad their way out of this by accepting states whose CCW requirements may be more stringent in some areas to "balance out" their softness on misdemeanor substance use in other areas.

MEMORANDUM
    TO: All the persons who have communicated recently with the Governor’s office concerning the issue of reciprocity of Wyoming’s Concealed Weapons Permits with respect to other states

Introduction:
    Thank you all for your interest and input on this important subject. Due to the large numbers of comments/inquiries we received, it is not possible to give each of you an individual response. So I will try to generally describe and explain the situation here, and if you have further questions or comments you may direct them to me at the email address to which this will be attached.
    First I would like to say that our Governor, Attorney General, Legislature, and most citizens of Wyoming are very supportive generally of all 2nd Amendment rights. But all of us in the Executive Branch of government are obliged to follow the law passed by our Legislature, regardless of our personal preferences. Here is a description of what happened, what the problem was, and remains, with an explanation of our plan going forward with this issue:

Background of the Issue:
    Current Wyoming Statues (§ 6-8-104) provides that persons from other states are immune from our law generally criminalizing the concealed carry of weapons if “the person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits, is a valid statewide permit, and the state has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general, including a proper background check of the permit holder.”
    The difficulty that has arisen recently has to do with scope and meaning of the phrase “laws similar to” quoted above, and more specifically with how the various states handle the issue of prior misdemeanor convictions for controlled substance offenses or other controlled substance involvement.
    Wyoming Statutes, in a further provision of the same section quoted above, provides that a Wyoming permit may only be given to someone “who has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971 [citing sections of entire act] or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances.” (Elsewhere in the law are other references to disqualification based on the person being an “unlawful user” of or having participated in “incidents involving” controlled substances.)
    Wyoming’s Controlled Substances Act is a comprehensive act, and it includes misdemeanor provisions concerning the possession of small amounts and/or the use of controlled substances. (It contains felony provisions too, of course, but they are not relevant to this discussion because a felony conviction will generally bar any possession of a firearm, concealed or not.)
    Several years ago Wyoming was reviewing the application of another state for reciprocity with Wyoming, and it was noticed that the state’s laws governing issuance of its concealment permits did not bar applicants in that state based on prior misdemeanor drug convictions. At that time it was determined not to grant reciprocity to that state because its laws were not deemed to be “similar” to Wyoming’s and for the seemingly obvious reason that it seemed inconsistent and unfair to recognize a permit holder (who might have a drug conviction) from another State, when the same person could not qualify for a permit in Wyoming. At that time it was determined to survey the laws of the other 49 states to see if similar inconsistencies existed.
    That survey was completed on January 23, 2009. The results showed that eight other states have laws similar to Wyoming’s, barring applicants with prior misdemeanor drug convictions. Twelve states bar applicants for some period of time, ranging from three to ten years after the conviction. Eight states disqualify for controlled substance “use” under varying circumstances. Four states disqualify applicants who are “addicted” to controlled substances, and eighteen do not appear to have any disqualifier for misdemeanor drug convictions, or usage or addiction.
    Based on the results of this survey, and the determination that had been made in 2007 when the survey was commenced, the Division of Criminal Investigation announced the change in Wyoming’s reciprocity policy that led to your concerns.

Current Status:
    Recognizing that this change potentially had far-reaching consequences, possibly causing other states to withdraw recognition of Wyoming’s permits, and because the survey and comparison for “similarity” had been too narrow in scope by only considering the controlled substance issue, the Governor and Attorney General decided to rescind that change and leave things in the “status quo” that has existed for several years while we study this further.
    The Attorney General plans to survey the other states again, and look not just at the controlled substance issue, but at the entire list of requirements for the issuance of a permit. He will then try to develop some understanding of what our Legislature might have intended by the word “similar” when they passed our statute several years ago, and do a more comprehensive comparison of the laws for “similarity” – looking further than the single issue of drugs. Obviously there will be differences from one state to the next, and that term (similar) will require some degree of judgment to be exercised by the Attorney General under the current statute. His survey may show that some states have more stringent requirements than Wyoming’s in some area other than drugs, and through some balancing or weighting of all of the criteria, he may decide that they are “similar” enough to satisfy the Legislature’s intent. He plans to complete that new survey, and arrive at some conclusion on that issue, prior to the time our Legislature meets next year. If it is his “determination” that some narrowing of our grants of reciprocity must occur under the current law, he will make that determination prior to the legislative session, so that they may change our statute if they wish.
    At this time I cannot predict the outcome of either the Attorney General’s review, or what, if anything, our Legislature might do with this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
    You don't change peoples minds by reinforcing stereotypes.

Feedback Score
    I got one of those too
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    Dear Jim,

In the past year you have contacted us to express concern about this subject. *We explained that because of some restrictive language in the Statue that authorizes the Attorney General (Division of Criminal Investigation) to issue Concealed Firearms Permits there was a serious question as to whether Wyoming could continue to grant reciprocity and recognize permits from many other states. *And of course, that would also adversely affect recognition in those States of Wyoming Permits.

Senator Cale Case of Lander has informed us that he plans to introduce legislation in the upcoming session of the Legislature that will amend the statute to fix this problem, making it clear that Wyoming can recognize permits from more states, and so that they can recognize ours.

Assuming that you remain concerned about this issue, we encourage you to contact your local legislators and ask them to support Senator Case's bill. * This is extremely important this year because this is a Budget Session of our Legislature, and it will require a 2/3 vote to introduce a non-budget bill. * The session convenes on February 8, 2010, and new bills will need to be voted for introduction within very few days after that, so it might be a good idea to contact your Legislators about this before they come to Cheyenne for the Session.

Thank you.

C.A. "Kip" Crofts
    Counsel to the Governor
    Contact your legislators!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
    You don't change peoples minds by reinforcing stereotypes.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567