Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Peer Pressure

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    I shot a 1911 for along time, since I was taught to shoot it by the original armorer mentioned in Col. Beckwith's book. Back then, and up until recently is was the optimal choice. Not so much today.
    I have decided to move on, more or less.
    No, Bob. Say it isn't so.

You were the one that I went to when I wanted to get back into 1911s.

Oh, the humanity

ToddG Guest
    Seems to me the OP has received a bit of hostility here. Undeserved, IMHO.

Dude came on here and admitted that he'd made some choices about his equipment based on internet hype and peer pressure. Anyone who thinks that is uncommon doesn't deal with a lot of shooters (or agencies, or military units). I've sat in meetings with firearms units trying to deal with SWAT teams who clearly want a different gun, any different gun at all, than the regular line officers in their department ... not because they need some other capability, but simply because they're SWAT and thus they need to have something different for the sake of being different because they're SWAT and SWAT has different guns because they're ... well, you get the idea.

A buddy of mine was recently issued a .40 cal pistol and while he knows he can shoot the 9mm variant a little better, and while he believes the 9mm is just as effective from a terminal performance standpoint, he's hesitant to switch to the 9mm because of: peer pressure. He doesn't want to look like the girly man.

I've brought large-caliber guns to LE training events in the past simply because "yeah, you can do that because you have a 9mm ... we have to carry forties" got really, really old.

If you don't think a lot of people have tremendous personal pride in their chosen sidearm, if you don't think that many members of M4C are walking around with visions of Excalibur on their hips, then simply start a thread that titled "I think (brand X) sucks as a fighting gun" and watch the hair fly.

Personally, I read the OP's message as a positive one. He's realized that in the past he drank a little too much kool aid or was worried a little too much about how he looked rather than how he shot. Now he's reassessing his equipment choices based on what works, which is what many people say but not many people do. I think it's commendable, myself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go finish putting the gold filigree on my M&P9.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Lights and lasers are being discussed almost as a fashion option...they are anything but.
    There are several reasons I don't have a light or laser on my gun, and fashion is not one of them.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Don't worry Ed. Bob's not abandoning his 1911 collection.(not yet, anyway) On the contrary, his point was not to roll with a 1911 "just cause". If you can't take advantage of it, it may not be the gun for you, and my not be worth the "head ache".

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've seen the same circumstances in the past in regards to SWAT and .45's, in this case G21's. I've also seen the mindset that upon having a 1911 in your hand makes you a better shooter.

I agree, I think he was making a point that he drank the kool-aid and chose a gun based on that vs. what would better suite his needs.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Todd "gets" the point I'm trying to make.

I'm not bashing anyone's decisions on what gun to carry and I'm not trying to advocate one platform over another.

The point I'm trying to make is that many of us often buy gear and carry things not because it works well for us but because we listen to the hype and peer pressure of others.

My department issues the M&P 40. Lots of you on this forum love this gun. I know I do. Only two people on my department's SWAT team and other "tactical" oriented teams carry this gun. Why? Because it is what is issued and they just want to be different.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    By the way, I don't mind a little heat from you guys. I posted this because I want to get people talking about it because I think it is an issue that people need to keep in mind when deciding what to carry.

Feedback Score
    Sometimes I get funny looks when I use a revolver at an IDPA match. Since I mostly carry a J frame, I like to shoot with something at least similar on a regular basis.
    It's only an "arm's length" gun if you're incompetent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought a 1911 two years ago, after not having one for a long time. I bought a Kimber Warrior and found that I shot it better and more accurately than any of my other handguns. The Kimber was a problematical gun and is now gone; but I now own two relatively high grade 1911s.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 02-16-09 at 23:28.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Sometimes I get funny looks when I use a revolver at an IDPA match.
    Correlation is not causation.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast