Thread: Loads/ Ammo for 38 Super

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Loads/ Ammo for 38 Super

What are some decent loads/Ammo for 38 super? I just picked one up and I am looking for some decent ammo to shoot, ball and defense loads.

Feedback Score
    My .38 Sup is currently loaded with Winchester Silvertips. Yes, I know, the 1980s called and want their ammunition back.

The various ball offerings are pretty much the same. Perhaps your pistol will favor one over the others, but mine can't seem to tell much difference.

Some of the boutique ammo manufacturers offer Barnes copper hollow points. I haven't tried them, but if they are as good as they cost, they should be very good indeed.

The boutiques also offer 124 grain JHPs. This is probably the best choice between performance and economy. I say probably, because I am unaware of any gelatin tests done on .38 Super. Since it is much like a 9mm, only just a bit faster, I always figured anything good in a 9mm would be also good in a .38 Super.

Its a shame that the .38 Super has been neglected like it has. Few people use it for social purposes these days. Of course, more people might use it if more modern loads were offered at reasonable prices.

Feedback Score
    Ephesians 6:12

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Think Ill try these,Corbon DPX 1350 fps out of a 5 inch barrel, the commander is 4.25, so Ill lose a little bit of it out of the shorter barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I see that both Wilson and Baer 38 supers are featured in the American Rifleman for Nov. 2012.
    Wilson Combat Super Sentinel
    Les Baer Super Stinger
    Going to have to check out the Wilson Combat 38 Super with the Hornady 124 gr XTP at 1335 FPS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Underwood Ammo sells both the 124 XTP and 124 Gold Dot, both at 1350 fps, for about 25 bucks for 50 rds. The loads I've shot from Underwood have been good stuff, and give advertised velocities.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/38super...ntboxof50.aspx

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing driving 124 grain projectiles designed for 9mm, 200 fps faster, may result in less penetration. But that's just a guess on my part.

The .357 Sig at similar velocities doesn't perform much differently than a good 9mm.