Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Sevigny, new F.A.S.T. Record (3.56s)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    While there is no question that Dave is incredibly gifted, he's also worked incredibly hard to get where he is. He credits his athleticism on his previous semi-pro hockey playing, and when he first got into competitive shooting he pretty much did nothing but dry fire every night. Someone once told me Dave didn't even own a television and didn't need one because he was too busy dry firing all evening long.

There are gifted shooters and there are hard working shooters, but to get where Dave is both in terms of raw skill and accomplishment you need to have both.
    Most of us could be so much better than we are - Dave is an inspiration.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    You know what really sucks about Dave... He's genuinely one of the nicest guys you'll ever run across AND he's a Steeler fan.

It's always a pleasure to watch him shoot and the fact that he never picked up a handgun until his late 20s blows my mind.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    This guy eats, sleeps, and(well, you get the idea)......with that pistol. Well done Dave. Is that drill strickly for an unsecured pistol draw, or is it considered single retention? I know I'll never come close to 3.5s with my triple retention duty holster.
    Don't be so sure. Check out the triple retention holster Todd uses later in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaiJ...eature=related

Mule

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What's funny is that the person whose shooting inspired me to actually concentrate on pistol work was none other then the person who is equally inspired by Dave's shooting -- posting it here for us.

I was shooting an IDPA "lite" fun match at Shooter's Paradise, and this guy from Sig was shooting a 357Sig, using defensive ammo and was shooting damn well. I was embarassed by how poorly I handled my pistol by comparison, and decided to inspire myself to take learning some pistolcraft.

Funny how shooting well can infect others with the desire to want to shoot well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleStacker45 View Post
    Don't be so sure. Check out the triple retention holster Todd uses later in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaiJ...eature=related

Mule
    We've had consistant problems with Serpa durability and retention. During retention exersizes, they are easy to rip completely off the belt, and easy for a person not familiar with the retention operation to figure out how to get the pistol out of the holster in under 10 seconds with their level 2 and level 3 models. A strong suspect can rip the pistol out of the holster too. They may be fast, but they are worthless as a serious duty holster. I'd rather use a strong single retention holster than my old Serpa that popped off my belt when I got out of my patrol vehicle to chase a suspect.

We have never been able to rip off a Safariland holster from the duty belt even with two strong trainers working together, and it takes most people who are not familiar with the retention operation of their level 3 models a minute plus to figure out the operation and get the pistol out of the holster. Unfortunately, it takes slightly longer to get it out of the holster, but with LEOs who do not always have the luxury of perfect retention skills when dealing with mulitple suspects or going hands on.....the tools of the trade need to be stronger and more secure.

However, l don't want to lead this thread astray. Once again, your skill is very impressive, Dave.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 02-19-09 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    We've had consistant problems with Serpa durability and retention. During retention exersizes, they are easy to rip completely off the belt, and easy for a person not familiar with the retention operation to figure out how to get the pistol out of the holster in under 10 seconds with their level 2 and level 3 models. A strong suspect can rip the pistol out of the holster too. They may be fast, but they are worthless as a serious duty holster. I'd rather use a strong single retention holster than my old Serpa that popped off my belt when I got out of my patrol vehicle to chase a suspect.

We have never been able to rip off a Safariland holster from the duty belt even with two strong trainers working together, and it takes most people who are not familiar with the retention operation of their level 3 models a minute plus to figure out the operation and get the pistol out of the holster. Unfortunately, it takes slightly longer to get it out of the holster, but with LEOs who do not always have the luxury of perfect retention skills when dealing with mulitple suspects or going hands on.....the tools of the trade need to be stronger and more secure.

However, l don't want to lead this thread astray. Once again, your skill is very impressive, Dave.

Oh well, I was just trying to help. Thanks for making me feel like crap.

Mule

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So...what kind of time does the average Joe record on this drill with 6 clean hits?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
    So...what kind of time does the average Joe record on this drill with 6 clean hits?
    http://pistol-training.com/drills/fa...acy-speed-test

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Training.com
    Ranking:

* 10+ seconds: Novice
    * less than 10 seconds: Intermediate
    * less than 7 seconds: Advanced
    * less than 5 seconds: Expert

If shooter is using a retention holster and flap (covered) magazine pouches, subtract 0.5 seconds from the recorded time. If shooter is using an open-top retention holster (e.g., Blackhawk SERPA or Safariland ALS) with no concealment, add 0.50 seconds to the recorded time.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleStacker45 View Post
    Oh well, I was just trying to help. Thanks for making me feel like crap.

Mule
    LOL.....don't. I appreciate the videos.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
    Without trying to sound snarky, it really does depend upon what you mean by "average Joe." Given the prerequisites for my classes, we're seeing shooters who are above average compared to the typical regular practitioner who is already head and shoulders above the average range goober.

Looking at recent classes, the average "best" run (of 4) for the students was 8.23 after factoring in misses. About 80% of those "best" runs were clean. Looking at only the clean runs, the average "best" is 7.64 seconds. I only have the "best" runs in my database -- I keep notes and scores for all students -- so I'd had to pull out the handwritten scoresheets used during classes to get more complete data. If I had to guess, factoring in misses I'd say the average score at the beginning of class is around 9 seconds. There are a lot of 3x5 misses the first time through.

I've put quite a few well known competitors & instructors through the drill and so far there are still only three coins out (00, 01, and 02). I keep the next coin in my range bag just in case someone wants to give it a try and makes it. If I'm going to an event with a lot of serious shooters, I'll actually bring along two or three just in case we get a chance to run the drill during a break.

Last edited by ToddG; 02-21-09 at 08:37.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast