Thread: Action Works / Mars Arms / Dawson Duty Colt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Action Works / Mars Arms / Dawson Duty Colt

Some of you guys followed my last post where I grumbled about 1911 peer pressure. I love the 1911 platform and carry one daily. This is about mine.

It took two trips to Don Williams, a trip to Steve Morrison and then finally one to Dawson Precision, but I finally got my duty 1911 just the way I wanted it.

This gun is very special to me. It was my first handgun and I bought it new in the box. Even prior to becoming a police officer I knew I wanted to carry it one day on a Sam Browne belt. When I bought it I never imagined that it would go through the evolution that it has.

Started out looking like this:

Now looks like this:

Rail added by Dawson Precision

What the bad guys see...

Yo-Bo Pro sight with .156 notch reworked by Steve Morrison

With Surefire X200 attached

This gun has received a lot of work. One thing that it did not have was the slide-to-frame fit tightened. I wanted it left loose for reliability. This gun is everything I need and nothing that I don't. It is my ultimate 1911.

Thank you Don and Steve!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice and basic.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    It's beautiful. Well done.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    saw this on LTW. very nicely done.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Very nice. I like that you stuck with the basic grips. In my opinion the standard checkered wood grips are the best thought-out solution--even after I have probably spent $300 on various 1911 grips through the years.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Don is one of the best gunsmiths alive and he is one of the nicest men I have ever had the opportunity to deal with. He built a full house Hi-Power for me a couple years ago. The thing ran like a champ but I eventually sold it to finance other projects and have regretted it ever since.