Page 32 of 408 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    since i've been on my new glock kick, i've been going into gun shops lately for the first time in a while. still won't buy, but its nice to be able to hold shit. then order something online.

been getting a lot of gunshop guys pushing pistons.. same lines- they shoot cooler, more durable, more reliable, dont ever have to clean or lube, etc. one guy told my buddy "the piston is what's made the AK47 the most reliable gun on earth."

dunno what's happened, but pistons have definately found their way down to gunshop level. i dont know how gunshops get their information.. perhaps some widely loved gun-rag started popping out articles on pistons recently? the few times ive ever glanced through a gun rag, it seemed as though the information they presented as "news" was an average of 2 years behind

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Piston guns on average are priced more than twice as much as DI guns, except for the new Ruger SR 556. Twice the price means twice the profit assuming a constant percentage markup. They're just trying to upsell you like car dealers or TV salesmen or anyone else who will make more if they put you into a higher priced product.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stopped at my local fun store Friday that had a display of S&W and Bushy ARs. Customer points at a Bushy and asks the owner "Ain't they better made than a Colt?'' Owner says" I think so." Customer then says" I don't even own an AR15 but I'm sure a Bushmaster is better than a Colt."

Feedback Score
    At the guns store:

While purchasing some Brownells 30 round AR magazines, I politely asked the employee if the are ever going to get in some Pmags. As he was busy ringing up the sale, he quipped, "Naw, those plastic mags don't seem to work very good."
    So, I buy them online or at gun shows. Their loss.
    Take care,

Mark

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    Sounds familiar.

Guy was asking about a Colt-"You dont want a Colt,you're just paying for the name.DPMS is top of the line,thats what all the SpecOp types are using".

I dont own a Colt(dont plan to)but...

Im pretty sure if it had been a Bushmaster,RRA,etc on the wall he would have said the same about it.

Maybe the dumbest though,was during the "AWB"...

I was standing at the counter when another customer a few feet away made some comment about the ban on "hi-cap" mags.The owner working behind the counter says "I dont think anyone should have more than 10 rounds anyway".I gave him a funny look and glance to my right to see two other guys giving him a similiar look.We all immediately walked out...i doubt the others ever returned either.

I tried to look the place up to see if it was still arround for an "anti-gun gunshops" thread awhile back.I found what i thought may be the same guy,but in a different location(same town,Milan OH),but i couldnt be sure.

They may have went out of business.:
    Anti gun gun owners are all too common. My uncle and I had a heated discussion about 16 years ago and I have not talked to him since. He believed that hunting rifles and shotguns were ok but those evil " assault rifles" and handguns needed to be banned. I made several valid points to the contrary and he just got mad. I was just 19 at the time. Anyone remember Zumbo.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker09 View Post
    heard this last thurs at a local gun store i was looking at a wilson combat ar15 the guy behind the counter told me that the guns were overrated because the people that built them are stuck up and they think they can charge what ever they please for them...
    He was right about that part. That only would have been dumb if he'd told you they were worth anything near what they cost.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker09 View Post
    heard this last thurs at a local gun store i was looking at a wilson combat ar15 the guy behind the counter told me that the guns were overrated because the people that built them are stuck up and they think they can charge what ever they please for them also then goes on stating that a barrett 50 weighs 19 pounds loaded after all that he sees that i am in my uniform and starts going off about because the army doesnt teach us proper marksmenship we just spray and pray thats why there is no 5.56 or 223 ammo in the us
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    He was right about that part. That only would have been dumb if he'd told you they were worth anything near what they cost.
    not sure how i missed that one- indeed, wilson combat ARs are gay.

great pistols, gay long guns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    not sure how i missed that one- indeed, wilson combat ARs are gay.

great pistols, gay long guns.
    Yes I agree. I love my Wilson CQB but a friend of mine bought a Wilson rifle and it came with Yankee Hill handguards (crap) and the JP trigger was set so the safety could be applied when the rile was not cocked (unsafe).
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Anti gun gun owners are all too common. My uncle and I had a heated discussion about 16 years ago and I have not talked to him since. He believed that hunting rifles and shotguns were ok but those evil " assault rifles" and handguns needed to be banned. I made several valid points to the contrary and he just got mad. I was just 19 at the time. Anyone remember Zumbo.
    Pat
    I run into them often now.Revolvers,24" shotguns,bolt actions,and bows are the norm here.

The thing that struck me was he had the nerve to say as much in front of customers.The place didnt really have a "fudd-shop" vibe either...quite the opposite actually.

Feedback Score
    I'm out of town this week, so I thought I'd stop at the local iron shop. I don't like to pick on gun shop guys, they were working hard. I did overhear something though. A guy was buying a stripped lower, that's pretty good. The store guy says that DPMS lower part kits are the best - I'm not going to argue with him, though he is wrong. He then tells the guy, "You want to try a trigger...."

He pulls out a DPMS carbine, one with the 5.5 inch flashhider, and says "Try this trigger. DPMS makes carbines with the best triggers. That creep will go away after you work the trigger in. And even better..". He pops the upper off the lower, "look, no shelf in the lower, so if you get a tax stamp you can go full auto." If I get a sear, I think I can spring for a real FA set-up rifle.

They started talking about assembling the lower, and since I don't like contradicting gunshop guys in front of customers about the other stuff, I suggested AR15.com for instructions and the tape covered vice grip method for pushing the bolt catch pin. Lord knows that I wish someone had given me that advice.

But the best thing I heard one of the guys say about some of the handguns was "I don't know." That is way better than injecting an opinion or making something up.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 32 of 408 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast