Page 90 of 408 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Ummm, how is the case size different? I thought it was only the chamber and the pressure....
    For some reason I thought the case was slightly different... looks like Im wrong on that one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    For some reason I thought the case was slightly different... looks like Im wrong on that one
    You are right, just need an expert to chime in. I believe 5.56mm cases are slightly longer. Maybe the shoulder dimension also?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that the cases are dimensionally the same. There are several discussions about it on this forum. 5.56x45 ammunition operates at a higher pressure than .223, and the 5.56 chamber designation denotes a chamber with the correct dimensions to safely and reliably handle the higher pressure ammunition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a interesting thread...I have one Bangor produced Smith...A LNIB K-22.. pinned bbl, 6" target trigger,hammer WO rear sights, Partridge front, excellant shooter, excellant trigger, I used to have a 4" M-19..another excellant shooter..sadly, it was sold when I needed cash...
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MookNW View Post
    Last weekend. At gun store in Lakewood, WA
    Customer: You must love your job
    Guy behind counter: Just like a pedophile workin in a daycare. Wait, better, a pedophile that OWNS a daycare.

WTF. WTF. WTF.
    That is some of the most tasteless, retarded shit I've ever heard anyone say. What a moron.
    I think jokes about abusing children should not happen shows what might be lurking inside a person !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I don't go to gun stores as much as you guys... but I was in a store because my father was looking for his first firearm lol. As he is buying his new-to-him Russian SKS from the 50's I walk over to the AR display just to see if the prices have come down since I bought mine... Started talking to one of the sales people who told me amungs other things that 5.56mm is just the European designation for the american .223" beacause they use the metrick system in Europe... I told him that the case is slightly different in size to which he said "No" then I said the pressures are different and you should not shoot 5.56 ammo out of .223 chamber to which he said "no its the same thing so you're okay"

My GF asked me to stop because she hates when I get into arguments... lol So I stoped and walked back to the other counter where my dad was.

Mind you this was the same guy who would not let my GF hold a M&P9 because she did not have an NJ Firearms ID card. He would let me hold it, but would not her her touch it... when 3 other gun shops in NJ let her handle the weapon without even asking. Mind you one of the ones that let her handle the firearm which is also where we shoot at, and had about 3 uniformed police officers in the shop at the time who said nothing. So its not against the law to let her hold it as that tard said. Needless to say I bough the G19 that she will be using from the store that let her hold it. lol.
    The first thing doesn't really constitute stupid. 5.56 is the metric standard NATO. It's a metric load. It may differ from the .223 but someone not knowing this doesn't win them the award of "stupidist things heard at a gun shop".

Second, just because an officer is in the room and decides to not address something, doesn't mean that what they aren't addressing is legal. If NJ is anything like NY it IS illegal for your girlfriend to hold/fire/or be in any form of possession of a firearm without the NJ card. Just because three or fifty officers at a gun range enjoying some time away from work decided not to address this doesn't change the law.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallguy View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that the cases are dimensionally the same. There are several discussions about it on this forum. 5.56x45 ammunition operates at a higher pressure than .223, and the 5.56 chamber designation denotes a chamber with the correct dimensions to safely and reliably handle the higher pressure ammunition.
    I'm not an expert either, but I did read on this forum somewhere that the cases are the same externally, however internally I understand that the case has less volume than a .223 round. Meaning of course that the case walls would be thicker to handle the higher pressures of the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman2000 View Post
    You are right, just need an expert to chime in. I believe 5.56mm cases are slightly longer. Maybe the shoulder dimension also?
    No sir. They may be slightly larger AFTER firing because the of higher pressure and looser chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrhazzrd View Post
    I'm not an expert either, but I did read on this forum somewhere that the cases are the same externally, however internally I understand that the case has less volume than a .223 round. Meaning of course that the case walls would be thicker to handle the higher pressures of the 5.56.
    If that were the case the brass would weigh more...they don't. I have heard that this is the case with .308 and 7.62x51, but I haven't measured or weighed them to see.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Ummm, how is the case size different? I thought it was only the chamber and the pressure....
    Ding ding ding. You're correct, I've measured and weighed unfired .223 and 5.56 cases...no difference whatsoever at least that my scale and calipers could pick up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I renewed my CHL this past weekend at the local store. Let me tell you, all you LEOs, military, and contractor-types are a bunch of PUSSIES compared to one of the guys in that class. This dude had "above top secret" clearance. He was in the Air Force Special Forces as an intelligence officer and had been in the shit more times than he could remember. He had been shot in Vietnam (doesn't look a day over 40), stabbed by a terrorist, flew black ops with drones in Iraq, and is currently on a short leash with the government for consulting purposes.

Oh, I left out the part about the instructor having to tell him, "just push this button right here" when trying to figure out how to chamber his borrowed Sig 220. His explanation for not knowing how to operate the weapon? "We didn't have these in the sandbox. We never shot anything less than a 45."

Like I said, you guys ain't got nuthin' on this dude.
    You must have met Tony a guy I work with.. Only difference is that Tony was in the Navy and was hand picked by the Admiral to be a Navy Seal. He couldn't go of course because he was too valuable to his unit. I've got at least a million stories that he has told us.. As soon as his mouth opens I start looking for my waders to put on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrhazzrd View Post
    You must have met Tony a guy I work with.. Only difference is that Tony was in the Navy and was hand picked by the Admiral to be a Navy Seal. He couldn't go of course because he was too valuable to his unit. I've got at least a million stories that he has told us.. As soon as his mouth opens I start looking for my waders to put on.
    Sounds like a Tony I work with, actually. Small world... If my Tony ever walks into a gun store, you better believe he'll be generating material for this thread.

Page 90 of 408 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast