Page 102 of 408 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    It was also entertaining to watch the Insights instructor shoot down a bunch of the guys' myths in front of the class.
    Elaborate.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Complication View Post
    I've been trying to figure this one out. That's sarcasm, right?
    Depending on your stance, the big revolvers can hit you in the face under recoil. I have been tapped between the eyes by the scope turret of a Ruger Super Redhawk 454, 9.5 inch. And I have never shot really heavy bullets, 300 grain or really hot loads, hot as factory out of this gun. I have adjusted my stance by turning my body with my left shoulder forward which makes the revolver recoil more towards my right ear. I often use a face shield in addition to glasses as the blast is pretty severe and I can feel particles hitting and stinging my face. The revolver usually contacts the face shield at the end of recoil. Same is true with big single shots, the Contender and similar, with very powerful cartridges. Part of the problem is you have to bring the gun closer to your head than is normal with a handgun to get the scope close enough for proper eye relief.

I can't make out this photo.

[/QUOTE]

Other than the fact that he's a mall ninja, what is the funny? Is that an entrenching tool on his left hip?
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-05-10 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He has one of those flashlight/vert grip combos and right behind it is an AFG. Combined with the rest of his crap like his camo pants and spec ops shirt (not pictured), I thought it was pretty damn funny. Oh, and he was there representing a booth trying to sell tactical firearms training as their instructor.
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Depending on your stance, the big revolvers can hit you in the face under recoil. I have been tapped between the eyes by the scope turret of a Ruger Super Redhawk 454, 9.5 inch. And I have never shot really heavy bullets, 300 grain or really hot loads, hot as factory out of this gun. I have adjusted my stance by turning my body with my left shoulder forward which makes the revolver recoil more towards my right ear. I often use a face shield in addition to glasses as the blast is pretty severe and I can feel particles hitting and stinging my face. The revolver usually contacts the face shield at the end of recoil. Same is true with big single shots, the Contender and similar, with very powerful cartridges. Part of the problem is you have to bring the gun closer to your head than is normal with a handgun to get the scope close enough for proper eye relief.
    Sounds to me like you are doing something very wrong if you need a face shield to shoot that gun.
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Sounds to me like you are doing something very wrong if you need a face shield to shoot that gun.
    I'm pretty sure he's joking (or at least really really hope so).

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I am glad it was just not me. I was thinking any gun I need a face shield to shoot is a fun I don't want to shoot. Go ahead call me a wuss.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I am glad it was just not me. I was thinking any gun I need a face shield to shoot is a fun I don't want to shoot. Go ahead call me a wuss.
    I don't think it's the gun. If you need a face shield or are in danger of the gun smacking you on the head then you're:
    using the wrong stance/grip
    using the wrong equipment (a scope with improper eye relief, no muzzle brake, etc.)
    or
    have no business shooting that gun because you weigh 50 lbs.

Protective gear is supposed to protect you from getting shot, not from shooting your own gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I very much want to start a sister thread"dumbest gun "facts" you've heard in the military".

Any in favor? I've heard more wacky shit in my short 2years (soo far), then in all the gunshops and county fair gunshows ever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let's do it on this thread knight. It's about run out of steam.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Complication View Post
    I don't think it's the gun. If you need a face shield or are in danger of the gun smacking you on the head then you're:
    using the wrong stance/grip...
    True. Folks only get smacked once or twice then they try something different. It don't exactly give you a brain concussion but it's worth avoiding.

using the wrong equipment (a scope with improper eye relief, no muzzle brake, etc.)
    LER Leupold, no brake.

or
    have no business shooting that gun because you weigh 50 lbs.
    'Bout five times that.

Protective gear is supposed to protect you from getting shot, not from shooting your own gun.
    This ain't paintball me boy!

I've shot a couple of Hunter Pistol Silhouette matches, if I'm doing it wrong, a lot of other folks are too.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-05-10 at 17:36.

Page 102 of 408 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast