Page 13 of 408 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    I watched a guy buy a S&W AR-15 an Aimpoint, 500 rounds of ammo and a sling. He stated that he wanted one because HALO was so cool.

A fortified location near Fort Campbell, KY
    Feedback Score
    Remember, the counter has two sides. We had a couple guys come in a while ago, the first thing asked was "You guys have any Desert Eagles?" Upon seeing the Savage Model 10FCP on the wall, Gun Expert #1 proceeded to say "Bolt action rifle, huh? Scopes are for pussies. I can hit an oxygen bottle at a thousand yards, first time every time, with my Kar98 Mauser." When his buddy said "Wow, that's pretty cool. What kind of sights do you have on that rifle?" Gun Expert #1 says, and I quote.....

wait for it....

"Leaf spring".

today, a nice young lady came in looking for a pistol. The guy she had "helping" her gave us some new pearls of wisdom that hadn't been heard in here before. She decided she wanted a Glock 23 (he wanted her to buy the Kel-Tec) such as "She wants two boxes of ammo, one box of ball ammo, and one box of .40 Parabellum...you know, the hollow tips". His reasoning for wanting the .40 Parabellum? Because they had "more death power". Yeah, you read that right. They were "gonna go out tomorrow and whack some rounds out".

Ya can't make this stuff up. We have enough to fill a book. A really big book.
    Its all fun and games till somebody loses an eye. Then its fun and games you can't see.-James Hetfield

Expertise is nothing more than the basics done correctly.-Holy Roller

ATS Tactical Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The third sin the gun store commando committed, when I asked him what to use for home defense ammo he whipped out his loaded Glock, waving it all over the store as he wrestled the magazine out of the gun. Then he showed us how he'd dremeled the hollow points of some common JHPs and expoxied primers into the bullet nose so they would, and I quote, "explode inside a guy like a grenade." But he could only sell us Hydrashoks.
    Apparently, this is a popular thing to do. I went into my local shop to ask the resident reloading expert about a problem I was having. He removes the magazine from his gun so we can compare some dimensions. Each bullet in the mag had a primer in the mouth of the hollow point with "just a touch of Bullseye underneath".

To his credit, he was correct in the advise he gave me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Could you PM me which shop that is you're referring to?

ETA: I knew it, The Firing Line. Yeah, another place that likes to treat repeat customers like crap. I won't go in there again.
    Ridge-runner and Decodeddiesel-

There are a couple of regulars at Firing Line that are pretty good. I was there a month ago and there was kid behind the counter talking about suppressors, and since I've been looking into it recently, I think he was all wrong about everything.

I did sell a Bushmaster I had when I moved here thru them. It was there for about 6 months and I hadn't heard from them. I stopped in and it wasn't on the rack. I asked if it had sold, and they said yes, just yesterday and they were going to call me . sure.

Besides Jensen's, any good gunstores in Denver that won't give me a story to tell on this thread
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Latest one. Moron GI (Chuck) was in Shooter's in Fayett-nam stating. "My 14.5" M-4 barrel isn't pinned I just JB Welded the flah suppressor on." Mind you the local ATF agents were in there 5 minutes prior!
    Last edited by BigPaulie; 02-27-09 at 22:34.
    “Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism” - George Washington
    “From My Cold Dead Hands” - Charlton Heston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the dumbest things I've heard was a gunstore clerk telling some customers and other clerks that failure to clean a new firearm before shooting it will result in reducing the gun's lifespan by half. He was amazingly precise about the effect of not cleaning a new gun.

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was told to me be a firearms instructor who used to work at a gun shop. One day a customer came in with nothing more than a rifle scope, put it on the counter, and asked to get it sighted in.

I make a distinction between ignorance and stupidity. Some people just don't know about firearms, and a smart, helpful clerk may be able to educate a customer. But it's different when stupid people spout-off as though they are an expert, and such people can be found on BOTH sides of the gun counter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    All from the two trips, about three years apart, at the same gun store in Portland called The Gun Room:

"We don't carry HK or Glock SHIT here. they're total junk. worthless. they're plastic and fall apart within a few thousand rounds. in fact, they were originally designed to be disposable- use them for a few magazines and throw them away."

---------

After I comment on how the well-used 20 "post ban" bushmaster HBAR in my hands was not worth $2250, Dickhead replies: Well see if you can do better than that. There's no quality AR in any configuration new or used for less than that.

Me: Uh, 6920s generally go for less than $1200 (keep in mind this is pre-obamanaton... remember those days? wow).

Dickhead snickers: I said "quality" AR.

Me: Colt IS a quality AR. but whatever, I just had some time and wanted to see what y'all had in stock. I build my own anyway.

Dickhead: Don't build your own, that's the absolutely worst way to get a gun- you'll spend three times as much as this Bushmaster for an inferior gun that'll jam up every time you shoot it.

Me: Uh, I DO build my own, and I've always been able to do it for around $1,200 and have a better weapon than any box gun and it's the way I want it the first time."

Dickhead: No, trust me. It can't be done. I've seen people try a thousand times, it cant be done. Trust me, I was a machinegun dealer for 30 years.

Me: I just said I DO, HAVE, and will continue to build my own.

By this point we're the center of attention in the shop. Our words are growing louder and less kind, and customers as well as other shop employees are watching. I proceed to list parts, their sources, and their prices and add up a fantastic gun with rails AND aimpoint for a little under $1,500. I tally up for him, as he stands there watching me, on my PDA calculator, every part from muzzle device to buttplate. When I finish and show him the total on my screen he says:

"See, I told you you couldn't do it."

I felt my face scrunch up and looked at him like he'd just sprouted vines out his big floppy ears and left without saying another word.

The Gun Room.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow...would've taken all my self control to not grab him by the ears and feed him a mouth full of countertop

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPaulie View Post
    Latest one. Moron GI (Chuck) was in Shooter's in Fayett-nam stating. "My 14.5" M-4 barrel isn't pinned I just JB Welded the flah suppressor on." Mind you the local ATF agents were in there 5 minutes prior!
    hmm.. can we get an NFA expert opinion on JBWeld as a perm attach option? if you can solder it on, I would imagine JB would certainly work too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post

After I comment on how the well-used 20 "post ban" bushmaster HBAR in my hands was not worth $2250, Dickhead replies: Well see if you can do better than that. There's no quality AR in any configuration new or used for less than that.

Me: Uh, 6920s generally go for less than $1200 (keep in mind this is pre-obamanaton... remember those days? wow).

Dickhead snickers: I said "quality" AR.

Me: Colt IS a quality AR. but whatever, I just had some time and wanted to see what y'all had in stock. I build my own anyway.

Dickhead: Don't build your own, that's the absolutely worst way to get a gun- you'll spend three times as much as this Bushmaster for an inferior gun that'll jam up every time you shoot it.

Me: Uh, I DO build my own, and I've always been able to do it for around $1,200 and have a better weapon than any box gun and it's the way I want it the first time."

Dickhead: No, trust me. It can't be done. I've seen people try a thousand times, it cant be done. Trust me, I was a machinegun dealer for 30 years.

Me: I just said I DO, HAVE, and will continue to build my own.

By this point we're the center of attention in the shop. Our words are growing louder and less kind, and customers as well as other shop employees are watching. I proceed to list parts, their sources, and their prices and add up a fantastic gun with rails AND aimpoint for a little under $1,500. I tally up for him, as he stands there watching me, on my PDA calculator, every part from muzzle device to buttplate. When I finish and show him the total on my screen he says:

"See, I told you you couldn't do it."

I felt my face scrunch up and looked at him like he'd just sprouted vines out his big floppy ears and left without saying another word.

The Gun Room.
    Geeze, ass-wads like that DESERVE crappy guns.

Be glad.

Page 13 of 408 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast