Page 176 of 408 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    As far as I know, yes
    Then I submit my latest trip to Cabela's: A salesman was telling a prospective customer "There's no reason to have a forward assist or dust cover if you're a civilian."

Strangely enough, it was to help leverage the sale of a "bargain" AR. The customer noticed some differences between the Colt 6920 they handled and the cheaper carbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no "Luckiest Man Alive" thread and I don't think one is really justified so I'll post on this thread:

Luckiest man alive for 10/9/2013.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    That is true and further, 90% to 95% of ARs sold are sold into this market.

I could go on for hours and days and weeks about engineers. Example: You buy a transformer as big as a small house and weighing 1,000,000 pounds from Korea. You start thinking about how you are going to get it from the ship to the substation 25 miles inland the day it arrives........

Let's all be friends again and talk about something else.
    I have plenty of stories about engineers as well.

Not as big a scale, but:

4325sf retail banking branch; I sent the drawings of the foundation layout to the Civil engineer with the north arrow pointing downward since Architectural drawings should be laid out with the entry door on the bottom of the page if possible. Civil drawings are almost always drawn with the north arrow up. He does not look at my north arrow and produced his drawings with my building facing 180degrees the wrong way. Instead of sending me drawings to review as he is supposed to, he caves to the GC pressures to meet deadline and send the drawings to the field. I get a phone call from the GS saying my drawings are messed up. I go out into the field, they poured the foundations backwards. I tell the GC he is a retard for not looking at the Arch drawings which are more important, and fire the Civil engineer. :-D Maybe next time, he will look at my north arrow.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Speaking of civil engineers we built a 450 MW power plant for half a billion dollars. The switchyard had a two foot deep pond of water in the middle of it due to an engineering error. I suggested it be corrected by installing a culvert. The engineer looked at me as though I was insane and said "You can't operate heavy equipment in a switchyard!" My response, "Have you ever heard of a shovel?" A week and a dozen Mexican laborers later we had our drainage.

I always wondered about that "engineering error". I wouldn't have thought it would take a BSCE and a PE to know if you slope a yard down from the outside to the inside in you will have a pond. Sometimes folks get edjumacated beyond their intelligence.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 10-09-13 at 19:57.

Feedback Score
    A guy I worked with had a 1911 pattern .380. I asked him if he had shot it much. He said no, that he never wanted to have to clean it. So he was never going to shoot it so much that it needed cleaning. I begged him to learn how to field strip it for cleaning, but he refused.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Not to sound rude, but until you source parts, talk directly to the companies that make the parts, look at the TDP, assemble guns from said manufactures and FIX AR's for a LIVING you are not qualified to tell some of the folks in this thread "what is up" about brands of AR's.
    While I don't work on near the volume you do, I found this out the hard way when I first started in 2005. I'm not a gunsmith, but I have repaired, troubleshot, and help put together a wide variety of rifle, pistols and shotguns since I was in my twenties. What I found in relation with using mil-spec or known parts for ar15's is simply better parts that are much easier to troubleshoot. Use that to your advantage to lessen the headache you sometimes run into.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    There is no "Luckiest Man Alive" thread and I don't think one is really justified so I'll post on this thread:

Luckiest man alive for 10/9/2013.
    So did somebody get the old lady a taller front sight post?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    So did somebody get the old lady a taller front sight post?
    The only thing funnier than a gunshot wound to the head is montanadave!
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 10-09-13 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't help but to feed a troll at the LGS today.

I was told that semi-autos are less accurate than a bolt gun due to the floating firing pin. The guy that told me did so, in an extremely matter-of-fact fashion. I couldn't help but respond.

I asked him, "How does the bolt of an AR-style gun help with that? Doesn't it make sure the firing pin goes in a pretty straight line, and then doesn't the firing pin protrude only a little bit past the bolt face?"

His response, "we'll, yeah that helps, but the grouping is still affected. I've measured it"

"How much?" I ask.

He said, "Up to a half inch at 100 yards."

Ok, so when you consider every variable that could come into play, including shooter error, how much of an issue is this?

His response, "not much, very little, actually"

Wait, what?!?! I asked the question: (with regards to shooting a precision firearm) "do you consider a half-MOA to be an insignificant contribution?"

Him, "........well, ......."

My response pretty much shut up the whole store: "If I get to the point where, while firing in field conditions (non-bench rest), I'm worried about the off-angle movement of the firing pin in the bolt of my gun, causing an uneven primer strike, which then can be a direct contributor to an incomplete/uneven burn of powder, and thusly throwing the round off so far that the rifling of the barrel isn't able to overcome it.....well, I have bigger problems. Do you even know what you're talking about?"

I then walked out.

Pull Pin. Throw Grenade.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac5.56 View Post
    Wow, if I saw that sign at a gun store I would look at the owner and tell him to **** off, point at the sign, and walk out the door.

Here's one for you:

"Don't dare open the door, look inside, or ask to sit in the vehicle. If you ask for a test drive I'll kill you."

How stupid must this ass hat be. Tell us the name of the store and post a photo of that sign! Your post is in the top 15 for me in this entire thread and I've been reading it from the get go.
    I had an experience similar to this.
    I was at a story and curious to look at the POFthey had just to see what the internals looked like. I asked to see it politely. He handed it to me. I looked it over and then pushed the rear takedown pin out and pulled the BCG out just to look at it. He and the other employee immediately started chewing me out.
    Idiot 1 "Yeah, let's not be taking our guns apart!"
    Idiot 2" If you went to buy a car you wouldn't lift the hood and start taking the engine apart!"
    Me" maybe not take the engine apart, but I would look inside AND I would take it for a test drive" as I shoved the rifle back in their hands and immediately walked out embarrassing them and with customers in the store following me out.
    Other have told me of the similar experiences at this store.
    Last edited by steyrman13; 10-24-13 at 22:44.

Page 176 of 408 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast