Page 177 of 408 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    I had an experience similar to this.
    I was at a story and curious to look at the POFthey had just to see what the internals looked like. I asked to see it politely. He handed it to me. I looked it over and then pushed the rear takedown pin out and pulled the BCG out just to look at it. He and the other employee immediately started chewing me out.
    Idiot 1 "Yeah, let's not be taking our guns apart!"
    Idiot 2" If you went to buy a car you wouldn't lift the hood and start taking the engine apart!"
    Me" maybe not take the engine apart, but I would look inside AND I would take it for a test drive" as I shoved the rifle back in their hands and immediately walked out embarrassing them and with customers in the store following me out (I was in Mil uniform).
    Other have told me of the similar experiences at this store.
    I had a similar experience. I was in a store and I picked up an Uzi carbine. I go to unfold the stock and the guy yells, yes yells "HEY!!! Don't take that thing apart! Put it down!!" I just look at him and tell him, "Jeez, I'm just taking out the stock to see how it feels." He grabs it out of my hand and very irritably unfolds it and pushes it back into my hands, I think more pissed that I didn't burst into tears and apologize than anything else. Needless to say, he's never getting a dime from me.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I had a similar experience. I was in a store and I picked up an Uzi carbine. I go to unfold the stock and the guy yells, yes yells "HEY!!! Don't take that thing apart! Put it down!!" I just look at him and tell him, "Jeez, I'm just taking out the stock to see how it feels." He grabs it out of my hand and very irritably unfolds it and pushes it back into my hands, I think more pissed that I didn't burst into tears and apologize than anything else. Needless to say, he's never getting a dime from me.
    Pretty sure we have all been there.

Had a shop (Long since closed) that yelled at me and grabbed a Taurus 92FS clone out of my hands because I worked the slide. Started yelling about not being able to sell it as new if the slide rails showed any wear.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had an experience similar to this.
    I was at a story and curious to look at the POFthey had just to see what the internals looked like. I asked to see it politely. He handed it to me. I looked it over and then pushed the rear takedown pin out and pulled the BCG out just to look at it. He and the other employee immediately started chewing me out.
    Idiot 1 "Yeah, let's not be taking our guns apart!"
    Idiot 2" If you went to buy a car you wouldn't lift the hood and start taking the engine apart!"
    Me" maybe not take the engine apart, but I would look inside AND I would take it for a test drive" as I shoved the rifle back in their hands and immediately walked out embarrassing them and with customers in the store following me out.
    Other have told me of the similar experiences at this store.
    If you did not ask permission before taking the rifle down, then I believe you are at fault. At least in terms of courtesy.

I would not dry fire, nor would I take down a firearm without the consent of the owner/clerk. It has nothing to do with whether it will damage the firearm or anything of that matter. It is about respecting others property.

If you ask them if you can take it down, and they say "no" tell them thank you and leave.

Feedback Score
    I overheard a conversation at Fort Sam Houston's Outdoor Recreation Office while waiting to pay for some range time. One of the guys that acts as RSO at times and holds reloading classes was talking to another old timer. They were discussing home defense and the merits of using a shotgun and a revolver. One opined that he thought a shotgun is best for home defense and went on to say why. He then said he encourages people to use a revolver instead of a semi-auto pistol because "I can squeeze the trigger until the gun goes bang." I left before they finished because I had paper to punch.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    Idiot 1 "Yeah, let's not be taking our guns apart!
    As a matter of courtesy, when I’m handling a firearm that doesn’t belong to me, I ask the owner/clerk/guy at the gun show/whoever if he minds if I work the action/dry-fire it/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Had a shop (Long since closed) that yelled at me and grabbed a Taurus 92FS clone out of my hands because I worked the slide. Started yelling about not being able to sell it as new if the slide rails showed any wear.
    If he handed it to you with the slide forward, how are you supposed to verify that it’s unloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDoc View Post
    … at Fort Sam Houston's Outdoor Recreation Office … [o]ne of the guys that acts as RSO at times … said he encourages people to use a revolver instead of a semi-auto pistol because "I can squeeze the trigger until the gun goes bang."
    That is true. It is also irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Now I remember why I came to prefer taking my business to "by appointment only" shops, rather than wading into the mindless banality that passes for the norm at the typical local gun store. Did a simple handgun transfer last Thursday at a place downtown, and heard more bad information in five minutes than I've seen posted here all year.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    If you did not ask permission before taking the rifle down, then I believe you are at fault. At least in terms of courtesy.

I would not dry fire, nor would I take down a firearm without the consent of the owner/clerk. It has nothing to do with whether it will damage the firearm or anything of that matter. It is about respecting others property.

If you ask them if you can take it down, and they say "no" tell them thank you and leave.
    I can remember more than one occasion where I hear a dealer at a gun show chewing out a customer who took an AR apart and couldn't get it back together, or dropped the BCG on the glass countertop. I can see why they get touchy when people start fiddling.

Always ask before stripping a gun you're handling.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I can remember more than one occasion where I hear a dealer at a gun show chewing out a customer who took an AR apart and couldn't get it back together, or dropped the BCG on the glass countertop. I can see why they get touchy when people start fiddling.

Always ask before stripping a gun you're handling.
    Exactly. I had a customer launch a 1911 spring plug and spring over an aisle while almost hitting another bystander when he thought he could take it apart without the bushing wrench.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Now I remember why I came to prefer taking my business to "by appointment only" shops, rather than wading into the mindless banality that passes for the norm at the typical local gun store. Did a simple handgun transfer last Thursday at a place downtown, and heard more bad information in five minutes than I've seen posted here all year.

AC
    The combat pawn shop? That place... I respect the guys there, they're doing well and have a range and a huge selection. But I had to hold my tongue because they did not understand gun laws very well, but I didn't want my brother to get in bad with them since he goes there a lot to shoot.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

BEST thing heard at lgs!

Met a new guy whose working part time at a local gun store. (Turns out hes an fed) any how, i noticed he had on a BCM hat and i commented on it. We talked for 30 minutes! Man this guy really knew his stuff, told me about his seekins/geissele build and what ar's the guys on his team use. Damn i had never met a gun store employee so AR informed as this guy was! Sadly he posts on TOS, but he was one cool guy nonetheless.

Page 177 of 408 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast