Page 181 of 408 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I was in a store a few days ago when I overheard a guy asking about how to purchase a full auto M16/M4. The person behind the counter (who is part owner) told the guy you can only buy machine guns if you are a dealer. So you have to get your FFL first, and then apply for a permit (WTF?).
    Ahhh, if only it was that easy ...

Feedback Score
    If we claim to each other that our defensive firearm skills are adequate, but don't challenge ourselves weekly with training regimen involving sweat-pouring, physically demanding fight skills to also include force-on-force variables with & without guns, knives, implements - we have no business recommending any defensive tools, tactics, or even discuss ideas involving such decisive life-changing predicaments.
    So unless we train like Tier 1 JSOC units on a weekly basis we have no business selling guns? That's a bit extreme. Unless you ARE on some special ops or crack tactical unit and are being supplied all the ammo and tools by taxpayer money, or you make in the high six figures to seven figures a year to afford all the time to do this training, chances are you can't afford to keep up the tip-of-the-spear elite training needed to qualify as a gun store clerk. I can't even afford the stuff I sell, much less hundreds of rounds of ammo for weekly training and hours of free time to train in tactical movement and hand-to-hand fighting...and I'm paid pretty well.

When asked for a defensive weapon, I tell customers to go with what you feel most comfortable shooting and I point out some quality choices (Glock, S&W, HK, Colt, DD...you get the picture). I didn't need to go through BUD/S or the Delta Operator Training Course to know that. If you want to learn how to use them and survive a fight, I'll give you some references to who can teach you.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 12-04-13 at 14:49.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I went into a LGS. It's a retail area and only 1 counter along the wall. Handguns in the case and rifles on the wall. My point is that I am literally 5 feet away from several different employees. I stood at the case right in front of the gun I was going to buy - a brand new Gen3 G19 for $475. Great price when everyone else is selling them for $600+. Now I understand that I don't look like the average gun owner that comes into these stores. I'm young, clean shaven, short hair. I ride a sportbike. But I'm standing at your counter...you could at least ask what the hell I was doing in there.

But instead I was ignored. And I sat...and waited...and no one even looked up at me. When one guy finally walked by me on his way to someone else, I said "Hey, can I buy this G19?" he said "Sure, let me find someone."

Another 5 minutes or so later some guy walks up to me, acts like I'm interrupting him and some 19 year old supermodel getting busy in the back room, and asks "Aight son...ya's wanna buy this one here?" I said yeah, can I see it? He said "Now hold on a minute boy, ya said ya wanted to buy it...not see it. Which is it? Cuz I'm not in the 'bidness' of makin' money off ya seein'". (There's my "dumb thing overheard at a gunstore" quote)

I asked him if he usually sold guns to people without seeing it first. He lied and said yes, hardly any of his customers want to look at guns. They know what they want and they buy it on the spot and that I was wasting his time.

I turned around and left without saying anything. I didn't want to waste anymore of his time.

What is it with these guys? They act like me wanting to give them money is so terrible.
    PM these douche nozzles name so I know where NOT to go.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sometimes working at a gun shop is like having front row seats to the parade of stupid.

I love hearing is "My friend's a gunsmith." Sure, they and every dickhead with a dremel tool and a screwdriver is a "gunsmith." I work on my own guns, but I know my limitations and I would never claim to be a gunsmith.

One Saturday, an older guy came in to sell some items to the shop's owner. Since the boss-man wasn't in at the time, I told him to come back a little later. When he came back, he brought his son whom I would guess to be 15 or 16. At one point the guy starts bragging about how his son knew what all the guns were on the wall before they even looked at the tags. (AR, AR, AK, AR, M1A, AR, Styer AUG, AR...yeah, real hard. )

The whole time they were there, they kept asking to see various handguns. I don't have a problem showing numerous guns to a customer. However, there comes a point where they're clearly just kicking tires and wasting your time. And if the shop is busy, I don't want to waste time on tire kickers. The kid was a bit squirrelly and his dad told him to calm down. At one point the other guy I was working with showed them a Smith & Wesson 29. I watched the kid like a hawk just waiting for it. Sure as enough, the kid did a 'Bogart', flicking his wrist to close the cylinder. As soon as the cylinder snapped shut I told him never to do that as it can damage the gun. I did so sternly but still, I think, rather politely. After they finally left (without buying anything, go figure) and with an empty store, my co-worker remarks "This is a gun shop, not a f*cking petting zoo!" Again, I don't mind taking guns out of the case but don't waste my time. The cases have glass windows for a reason.

Had another guy earlier that day ask to by a box of .45ACP ball. He had been in and conversing with us for about 15-20 minutes or so by this time. He was one of those LOUD TALKERS. When it came time to pay for the ammo, it went like this:
    Him: "How much?"
    Me: "$26"
    Him: "$20?"
    Me: "$26"
    Him: "$20?"
    Me: "Twenty Six"
    Him: "Oh, okay."

The fact that he a speaks a bit loudly and the "$20/$26" thing alone would suggest he's hard of hearing but, as I said, we had been talking to him for a little while and he seemed to hear us just fine then. I kind of suspect he was trying to get some sort of deal out of us. I've seen prettier women with bigger boobs come in that would have still had to pay the $26.

I've got other stories but for another time.
    Last edited by halo2304; 12-04-13 at 23:14.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I'm on the other side of the counter, but I'm like you: Clean shaven, young, educated, in good shape, and I get treated like crap by a lot of customers because I don't look like Duck Dynasty and smell like an armpit covered in cigarette ashes.
    No Boring,you get treated like crap because the customers are assholes. Sad to say, this sport / hobby / avocation attracts assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Being called "son" makes me irrationally angry. It actually doesn't happen a whole lot, which surprises me considering I look like I'm a 16 yr old high school student and I'm a minority living in the South.........
    I love to call people "son" to have a little fun. Every now and then I will get a little rise especially from an old man. I don't know what the word 'son' has to do with being a minority. 'Son' is a term of endearment. A black man would never, never have been called 'son' by a white person under Jim Crow unless maybe he had been adopted by the white person, a relatively rare phenomenon. 'Boy' was the insult of choice among many others but 'son', no, never.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The same thing being young and educated does - I'm an "outsider".........
    When I was a child, and I mean 16, 17, 18 years old my buddy and I would go to Gateway Rifle Pistol Club on the weekends before opening day of hunting season to help folks sight in. Lots and lots of them were too proud to accept help from a child. Then they would waste a box or two or three of ammo futilely trying to do it themselves which would humble them a bit.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-05-13 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post

I love to call people "son" to have a little fun. Every now and then I will get a little rise especially from an old man. I don't know what the word 'son' has to do with being a minority. 'Son' is a term of endearment. A black man would never, never have been called 'son' by a white person under Jim Crow unless maybe he had been adopted by the white person, a relatively rare phenomenon. 'Boy' was the insult of choice among many others but 'son', no, never.

I understand you are doing it for your own amusement. I would offer a bit of advice, however. When you throw chum in the water to watch the sharks thrash, don't be surprised or offended when a hungry one jumps in the boat with you.

Feedback Score
    Sad to say, this sport / hobby / avocation attracts assholes.
    Sad but true.

I love to call people "son" to have a little fun. Every now and then I will get a little rise especially from an old man.
    Why do you think it's fun to intentionally antagonize others? A lot of men will tell you that if you ain't their daddy, you best not be calling them son. And they won't be smiling when they say that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just went to academy, there was a guy and his buddy looking at ar's. His buddy kept telling him to buy either the sig m400 or the bushmaster because they were "better". There were 3 6920s and 2 DDM4s sitting right there. he then takes the bushy, pulls the CH back and says: "o yea, properly staked gas key" i hope he doesnt convince him to buy either of those.. I wanted to say something, but i didnt want to make his buddy look like an ass.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Just went to academy, there was a guy and his buddy looking at ar's. His buddy kept telling him to buy either the sig m400 or the bushmaster because they were "better". There were 3 6920s and 2 DDM4s sitting right there. he then takes the bushy, pulls the CH back and says: "o yea, properly staked gas key" i hope he doesnt convince him to buy either of those.. I wanted to say something, but i didnt want to make his buddy look like an ass.
    In that situation you should have made his buddy look like an ass. I pissed off one of my supervisors at work because I was informing him why I would never touch a Bushmaster, then he proceeded to grab his out of the truck and ask me what was wrong with it. Yeah, it would have been nice going into that conversation that he owned one and loved it. He pretty much hates me now.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    He kept focusing on all the exterior aspects of the guns and not once mentioned materials and craftsmanship. He did however, love how the sig had a "reciever tensioning screw" "the other ones dont have that!" I felt like telling him you turd, any decent rifle will not have any wobble between recievers, thus that screw should be a red flag. Just to add: the sig, and the bushy were both $1299, and the colt was $1200. The dd was $1500 but hey! Its a DD!! I really wanted to lean that guy towards the colt, but i let his buddy keep talking away. Lol
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 12-05-13 at 16:11.

Page 181 of 408 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast