Page 190 of 408 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 4073

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I called a lgs (who also does ar builds) to see how much they would charge to check headspace on my .300blk barrel and my bolt. Them: "nah we dont even check headspace on em' unless its a match gun"

UPDATE: 3/5/14 rifle shoots just fine.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 03-05-14 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Some names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Saw an AR at a shop today. Didn't appear too too bad at first glance (MI Gen 2 thin FF system, std 6-pos stock, Ergo pistol grip, no sights). When I asked what kind it was the clerk handed it to me for inspection and said, "it's a Spikes"

Now, that alone would have stopped me from looking any further but hey, he already handed it to me. The lower indeed was a Spikes. As for the upper? Well, it didn't match the lower whatsoever. It was some kind of off-hue. I asked what make the barrel was he replied, "that is a match barrel. The barrel alone goes for five hundred dollars. Dan [presumably their assembler] only uses match barrels"

So I look at the barrel. 16" M-4 profile, marked 'DB 5.56 1/9'. In what world is a chrome-moly DiamondBack barrel, "match"? Of course, this piqued my interest further so I actually gave everything a closer look. Here's what I found in about seven seconds:
    -A2 flash hider not properly aligned. Was off by almost 30 degrees
    -Free-float forend not aligned with upper
    -Receiver extension was not staked nor even close to being aligned. As such, the buttstock was at a goofy angle.

Didn't bother to break it down. Why would I? I just politely passed the rifle back.

The price?

$950.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bubbas just wanting to press their ignorance on every average joe that walks in. I myself, have been played the "dpms is used by st6" quite often. Maybe I just look like a dumbass? Lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I went shooting today with my good friend. A few days ago he tells me he is going to the gun store by his house to pick up some M118LR they had a good price on. He goes in and asks if they still have any m118LR left and they guy has no idea what he is talking about. So after a few iterations of "What?" ... M118LR ..... "What?". My buddy asks where the 308 is at. He goes over to the shelf where all the 308 is at and starts looking at the boxes. The SAME guy walks over and asks him what kind of 308 he is looking for.

The store used to be the kind of store that catered to the "tactical" crowd and knew their stuff. But recently all their Colts, DDs and AAC rifles are being replaced with Windham and DPMS. Sad.
    How many people have me in their sig line? Lmao.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear Boring, these two guys were the proprietors of the gun store! One is the president of the LLC, the other the treasurer. I am working next door to them for the next couple of months upgrading a substation, I think I'll drop in from time to time on my lunch break to see what other interesting things they have to say. Stay tuned ya'll!

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out why the 458 Lott is particularly well suited for splitting some effin SOB's head. Guess I should have asked.
    Should mention they definitely need to modify a slide fire to one, as it turns the bolt action into a fully automatic rifle.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Bubbas just wanting to press their ignorance on every average joe that walks in. I myself, have been played the "dpms is used by st6" quite often. Maybe I just look like a dumbass? Lol
    My very favorite LGS is a small independently owned pawn shop. The guy is great and usually very knowledgeable. I was in there the other day buying some Pmags, and a customer asked to look at an AR he had behind the counter. He handed them the rifle, guy starts looking at it, he says to the guy "It's a DPMS Oracle, 100% mil-spec." My heart broke a little right there. It was probably a sales tactic because this guy owns personally and shoots Noveske's almost exclusively, but still.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    My very favorite LGS is a small independently owned pawn shop. The guy is great and usually very knowledgeable. I was in there the other day buying some Pmags, and a customer asked to look at an AR he had behind the counter. He handed them the rifle, guy starts looking at it, he says to the guy "It's a DPMS Oracle, 100% mil-spec." My heart broke a little right there. It was probably a sales tactic because this guy owns personally and shoots Noveske's almost exclusively, but still.
    Sales tactic. If a guy is spending the coin needed to get a Noveske, I'm 100% sure that he was just probably trying to get the gun off the shelf. Think about it this way: You're behind the counter, some guy comes in and says he wants to purchase his first AR. So, you recommend the Colt 6920 you have hanging there. He sees the $1000 price tag and says that's more than he wanted to spend, and do you have something in the $500-700 range? You say yeah, but they're all junk. But this guy's best friend has a DPMS he swears by and it was only $600. You try and teach the guy, but he just says he'll "think about it." He goes home and asks his buddy with the DPMS, who reassures him that DPMS is the top of the line and the Colt is just overpriced junk (lowest military bidder and all that). He goes to another store and the guy behind that counter says that DPMS is "not bad." So, the guy buys the DPMS and that's $600 you cost the store.

At the end of the day, I don't care if a person gets one of those Omni polymer receiver ARs or a KAC SR-15. I'll say that the Omni or DPMS is "okay," or "not bad" and "a good range gun". Let's face it, 99% of the people buying them are going to put between 20 and 50 rounds through them in a month, max. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose if I tell a guy the $600 he was just about to spend would be worth saving until he can get another $400 and spring for the Colt. He might not come back. Maybe he will buy the Colt, but he might buy it somewhere else. Now my boss is mad at me because I cost the store $600.

It's a soul sucking position, like I said. All retail is.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Sales tactic. If a guy is spending the coin needed to get a Noveske, I'm 100% sure that he was just probably trying to get the gun off the shelf. Think about it this way: You're behind the counter, some guy comes in and says he wants to purchase his first AR. So, you recommend the Colt 6920 you have hanging there. He sees the $1000 price tag and says that's more than he wanted to spend, and do you have something in the $500-700 range? You say yeah, but they're all junk. But this guy's best friend has a DPMS he swears by and it was only $600. You try and teach the guy, but he just says he'll "think about it." He goes home and asks his buddy with the DPMS, who reassures him that DPMS is the top of the line and the Colt is just overpriced junk (lowest military bidder and all that). He goes to another store and the guy behind that counter says that DPMS is "not bad." So, the guy buys the DPMS and that's $600 you cost the store.

At the end of the day, I don't care if a person gets one of those Omni polymer receiver ARs or a KAC SR-15. I'll say that the Omni or DPMS is "okay," or "not bad" and "a good range gun". Let's face it, 99% of the people buying them are going to put between 20 and 50 rounds through them in a month, max. I have nothing to gain and everything to lose if I tell a guy the $600 he was just about to spend would be worth saving until he can get another $400 and spring for the Colt. He might not come back. Maybe he will buy the Colt, but he might buy it somewhere else. Now my boss is mad at me because I cost the store $600.

It's a soul sucking position, like I said. All retail is.
    Exactly what I do.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    How many people have me in their sig line? Lmao.
    Maybe we should do a head count?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPDtI_UZ0Do

"they are all the same thing"

Watch the vid, this guy is full of shit.
    Last edited by SilverBullet432; 03-08-14 at 18:21.

Page 190 of 408 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast