Page 90 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2010

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

  1. #1781
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    It's the same at most stores that sell items that take a great deal of experience and expertise to master. Motorcycle shop, gun store, saw shop. You'll find the same clueless jerks behind the counter at most any of them.
    It’s not just the uninformed at your friendly LGS. A couple of hours ago I received an email from Brownell’s which reads in pertinent part:

    Save Over 15% on DPMS AR-15 Complete Receiver Parts Kit
    The easiest way to stock and sell genuine, mil-spec AR-15 parts, or use to assemble rifles on your receivers. Much lower in total cost than buying the parts one at a time. All kits listed contain only new, current-production, genuine, mil-spec parts; never pull-offs or direct-exchange surplus.


    Since when is DPMS making mil-spec parts?

  2. #1782
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    569
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The same thing being young and educated does - I'm an "outsider" to their clique and thus not deserving of any special treatment, you know, like being able to buy stuff at their store.
    I'm on the other side of the counter, but I'm like you: Clean shaven, young, educated, in good shape, and I get treated like crap by a lot of customers because I don't look like Duck Dynasty and smell like an armpit covered in cigarette ashes.
    "Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."-Gun expert Joe Biden

  3. #1783
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,038
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    "Son, I'm in the business of selling cars, not indulging people in a showroom." Oh, and can you guess how much I HATE being called "son" by anyone other than my father?
    Being called "son" makes me irrationally angry. It actually doesn't happen a whole lot, which surprises me considering I look like I'm a 16 yr old high school student and I'm a minority living in the South.

    There's a gun store in Henderson (south Las Vegas), NV that has an owner just as bad as what Eurodriver describes. He believes that Bushmaster, Condor, and Gemtech make the best ARs, tactical gear, and silencers. I shopped there and he made me feel like I was not only unwelcome, but that I was wasting his time looking through his stuff. What's worse is that I'm close with one of his employees and he even knew that. I heard he threw out NV's Battle Comp rep for no real reason other than something like "if he wanted products, he'd order them." I know the (now former) BC rep, who is very professional and quite knowledgable on the subject matter. There's no reason to treat anyone like that, and it's not like BCs are snake oil.

    Basically, I'd never shop there again.
    I might disagree with your religion, your politics, your TTPs, and your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.

  4. #1784
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The same thing being young and educated does - I'm an "outsider" to their clique and thus not deserving of any special treatment, you know, like being able to buy stuff at their store.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I'm on the other side of the counter, but I'm like you: Clean shaven, young, educated, in good shape, and I get treated like crap by a lot of customers because I don't look like Duck Dynasty and smell like an armpit covered in cigarette ashes.
    … which causes me to wonder why so many gun guys speak like hicks, write like seventh-grade dropouts, or just don’t know that the &^#* they’re talking about. I can’t count the number of “Belgium” Brownings I’ve seen for sale at gun shows … the number of times I’ve heard cartridges being referred to as bullets … the number of times I’ve seen someone handed a firearm and immediately put his finger on the trigger (it’s always a man) … the number of times … well, you get the point.

    Is it any wonder Mrs. Soccer Mom thinks we're all little Attilas? Apart from the nasty, horrible things we like to play with, we are portrayed as being ignorant, stupid, uncouth, and smelly, and the sad thing is, many of us are exactly that. Our public image stinks, and it’s our own fault. Shows like ‘Sons of Guns’ and ‘Duck Dynasty” serve only to perpetuate that image.

  5. #1785
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,148
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Being called "son" makes me irrationally angry. It actually doesn't happen a whole lot, which surprises me considering I look like I'm a 16 yr old high school student and I'm a minority living in the South.

    There's a gun store in Henderson (south Las Vegas), NV that has an owner just as bad as what Eurodriver describes. He believes that Bushmaster, Condor, and Gemtech make the best ARs, tactical gear, and silencers. I shopped there and he made me feel like I was not only unwelcome, but that I was wasting his time looking through his stuff. What's worse is that I'm close with one of his employees and he even knew that. I heard he threw out NV's Battle Comp rep for no real reason other than something like "if he wanted products, he'd order them." I know the (now former) BC rep, who is very professional and quite knowledgable on the subject matter. There's no reason to treat anyone like that, and it's not like BCs are snake oil.

    Basically, I'd never shop there again.
    You just gave me flashbacks, Koshinn.

    When living in Hawaii for several years I decided to jump through hoops and purchase a firearm there. Applied for my permit and walked into a gun shop...biggest mistake of my life.

    I was not doing *anything* other than browsing holsters on his wall. The guy literally said "Hey dumbass! It's a f*cking holster, you idiot. Why are you finger ****ing it? FUNCTION FOLLOWS FORM" and kicked me out of his store. This is not an exaggeration and his "function follows form" statement was screamed so loudly that he was spitting out of his mouth. Dude is a grade-A ****ing nutcase.

    About the only nice thing I can say about him is that he spends considerable time and money countering the liberal anti-gun agenda in the Hawaiian state legislature and he's big on the "Chart" for AR15s.

    You guys can check him out. I wonder if he's a member here.

    http://www.kaneohegs.com/ is his website

    http://www.kaneohegs.com/MusingsandO...AndExperiences is a wonderful little gem.




    Deep down, I think his logic is sound and he makes good points on certain things. But he's got a ****ing screw loose. Just to make a point, when I registered my lower receiver a few months later at the police station, someone was registering a handgun they bought from him and the guys working the desk said "Haha, you made it out of Kaneohe Gun Shop alive? We're just waiting for that dude to lose it one day"
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-03-13 at 15:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Ah ok. I thought there was some kind of maple syrup conspiracy afoot or something

  6. #1786
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    569
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    … which causes me to wonder why so many gun guys speak like hicks,
    The same way urban culture has their wannabe gangsta white boys, the rednecks have their wannabes. We get guys in all the time who talk like Larry the Cable Guy. No joke; they talk with a very obvious fake accent that's usually a mix of general Southern, Pittsburgh, Appalachia, and Cajun, as though sounding like trailer trash gives them some extra credibility in a gun store.

    write like seventh-grade dropouts, or just don’t know that the &^#* they’re talking about. I can’t count the number of “Belgium” Brownings I’ve seen for sale at gun shows … the number of times I’ve heard cartridges being referred to as bullets … the number of times I’ve seen someone handed a firearm and immediately put his finger on the trigger (it’s always a man) … the number of times … well, you get the point.
    Ehh, I forgive calling cartridges "bullets" or magazines "clips". It's colloquial, and we generally know what someone means when they refer to a "5.56 bullet" or a "30 round clip". It's best not to do in formal discussion with anti-gun people though.

    Is it any wonder Mrs. Soccer Mom thinks we're all little Attilas? Apart from the nasty, horrible things we like to play with, we are portrayed as being ignorant, stupid, uncouth, and smelly, and the sad thing is, many of us are exactly that. Our public image stinks, and it’s our own fault. Shows like ‘Sons of Guns’ and ‘Duck Dynasty” serve only to perpetuate that image.
    The best argument against the 2nd Amendment is your average gun enthusiast. Being presentable doesn't mean turning in your man card and going metrosexual. Seriously. A lot of these people need to take a shower, clean their clothes, learn to friggin' speak properly, and for God's sake, get someone up to date on technology. If you're 90 and near time to meet God, I can understand, but if you're 60 or younger, you have no excuse whatsoever not to learn how to at least type. I'm not filling out your 4473 on the computer for you (which is the only way our store does it) because you're too stubborn to get with the 21st Century.
    "Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."-Gun expert Joe Biden

  7. #1787
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    791
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Deep down, I think his logic is sound and he makes good points on certain things. But he's got a ****ing screw loose. Just to make a point, when I registered my lower receiver a few months later at the police station, someone was registering a handgun they bought from him and the guys working the desk said "Haha, you made it out of Kaneohe Gun Shop alive? We're just waiting for that dude to lose it one day"
    That dude is not ok in the head.
    Crossing the Noobicon

  8. #1788
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    19,783
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    I was in a store a few days ago when I overheard a guy asking about how to purchase a full auto M16/M4. The person behind the counter (who is part owner) told the guy you can only buy machine guns if you are a dealer. So you have to get your FFL first, and then apply for a permit (WTF?). Then he proceeds to show him a Windham Weaponry carbine which he explains is the "closest thing to a Colt military issue carbine but much better". Of course they only wanted 1300.00 dollars for it.

    Then I see surplus aluminum magazines (heavily used) for 12.99 each!





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  9. #1789
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    7,816
    Feedback Score
    0
    Haven't been in the store in while, but I walked in on a screaming match between a customer, and a guy behind the counter.

    They were arguing about weather or not the Navy SEALS were issued Mk. 25 pistols, or Beretta M9s.

    Full on yelling at eachother, and in between fits of screaming, the guy behind the counter was trying to sell me things, and be uber professional about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.
    We miss you, AC.

  10. #1790
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    658
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I was in a store a few days ago when I overheard a guy asking about how to purchase a full auto M16/M4. The person behind the counter (who is part owner) told the guy you can only buy machine guns if you are a dealer. So you have to get your FFL first, and then apply for a permit (WTF?). Then he proceeds to show him a Windham Weaponry carbine which he explains is the "closest thing to a Colt military issue carbine but much better". Of course they only wanted 1300.00 dollars for it.

    Then I see surplus aluminum magazines (heavily used) for 12.99 each!
    That's Rich!

  11. #1791
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,458
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Haven't been in the store in while, but I walked in on a screaming match between a customer, and a guy behind the counter.

    They were arguing about weather or not the Navy SEALS were issued Mk. 25 pistols, or Beretta M9s.

    Full on yelling at eachother, and in between fits of screaming, the guy behind the counter was trying to sell me things, and be uber professional about it.
    That's one of those cases where "the customer is right." No reason to get into a pissing match with a customer if they are absolutely, positively right about it and "you can't tell me otherwise!" You just kind of nod and press on.

    Professionalism goes as far as what your customers see. And seeing an employee getting into a screaming match with a customer is not the kind of image one wants associated with their store.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

  12. #1792
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    2,351
    Feedback Score
    0
    FWIW, In the movie, "Lone Survivor" they carried M9s....not P226s.

    (got to see a sneak preview)

    Marcus Luttrell was pretty hard nosed on making sure Berg told his story correct, so if they carried M9s...maybe some SEALs so use this as their sidearm over the P226. I am pretty sure those guys can carry whatever they want.

    -brickboy240

  13. #1793
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    867
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Wow. I thought this was a particularly useful set of statements:

    Shooting a few (or many) guns every week at a square range is not training - it is just shooting

    Military / Law Enforcement Qualification is not training - it is testing under controlled conditions

    Attending many courses but avoiding force-on-force work is not training - it is lying to yourself

    If we claim to each other that our defensive firearm skills are adequate, but don't challenge ourselves weekly with training regimen involving sweat-pouring, physically demanding fight skills to also include force-on-force variables with & without guns, knives, implements - we have no business recommending any defensive tools, tactics, or even discuss ideas involving such decisive life-changing predicaments.

  14. #1794
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    1,730
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I was in a store a few days ago when I overheard a guy asking about how to purchase a full auto M16/M4. The person behind the counter (who is part owner) told the guy you can only buy machine guns if you are a dealer. So you have to get your FFL first, and then apply for a permit (WTF?). Then he proceeds to show him a Windham Weaponry carbine which he explains is the "closest thing to a Colt military issue carbine but much better". Of course they only wanted 1300.00 dollars for it.

    Then I see surplus aluminum magazines (heavily used) for 12.99 each!
    Where is this store?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

    [QUOTE=Magic_Salad0892;1823265]THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT CHRISTMAS GIFTS, NOT MY CRABS!

  15. #1795
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,533
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You just gave me flashbacks, Koshinn.

    When living in Hawaii for several years I decided to jump through hoops and purchase a firearm there. Applied for my permit and walked into a gun shop...biggest mistake of my life.

    I was not doing *anything* other than browsing holsters on his wall. The guy literally said "Hey dumbass! It's a f*cking holster, you idiot. Why are you finger ****ing it? FUNCTION FOLLOWS FORM" and kicked me out of his store. This is not an exaggeration and his "function follows form" statement was screamed so loudly that he was spitting out of his mouth. Dude is a grade-A ****ing nutcase.

    About the only nice thing I can say about him is that he spends considerable time and money countering the liberal anti-gun agenda in the Hawaiian state legislature and he's big on the "Chart" for AR15s.

    You guys can check him out. I wonder if he's a member here.

    http://www.kaneohegs.com/ is his website

    http://www.kaneohegs.com/MusingsandO...AndExperiences is a wonderful little gem.




    Deep down, I think his logic is sound and he makes good points on certain things. But he's got a ****ing screw loose. Just to make a point, when I registered my lower receiver a few months later at the police station, someone was registering a handgun they bought from him and the guys working the desk said "Haha, you made it out of Kaneohe Gun Shop alive? We're just waiting for that dude to lose it one day"


    He was in a couple of classes I co-instructed with my former employer. Seemed like a good guy, but I can see how the two probably get along well, seems they both like to act like douches to customers.

  16. #1796
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    KalifoЯnia
    Posts
    306
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    FWIW, In the movie, "Lone Survivor" they carried M9s....not P226s.

    (got to see a sneak preview)

    Marcus Luttrell was pretty hard nosed on making sure Berg told his story correct, so if they carried M9s...maybe some SEALs so use this as their sidearm over the P226. I am pretty sure those guys can carry whatever they want.

    -brickboy240
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the SEALs have access to whatever they want/need for any particular mission. I've worked with a few SEALs in my day and it seems to me that I've heard P226's, HK MK23's and a few others...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  17. #1797
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,458
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the SEALs have access to whatever they want/need for any particular mission. I've worked with a few SEALs in my day and it seems to me that I've heard P226's, HK MK23's and a few others...
    I thought they carried Desert Eagles!

    At least that's what the guy in the gun store told me...
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

  18. #1798
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,148
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    He was in a couple of classes I co-instructed with my former employer. Seemed like a good guy, but I can see how the two probably get along well, seems they both like to act like douches to customers.
    And that is exactly what makes everything even more confusing. Outside of his store, he's a totally normal guy. I've seen him (but admittedly, didn't talk to him) at Kokohead public range days and he's like a different person. He's helping out little kids shoot .22 rifles and he brings many, many guns to let the public try out and shoot for free. He attends public hearings regarding gun control laws and is always donating money to Pro-2A groups.

    But if you're a customer in his store he acts like he doesn't even want your money.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-04-13 at 11:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Ah ok. I thought there was some kind of maple syrup conspiracy afoot or something

  19. #1799
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    347
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post

    There's a gun store in Henderson (south Las Vegas), NV that has an owner just as bad as what Eurodriver describes. He believes that Bushmaster, Condor, and Gemtech make the best ARs, tactical gear, and silencers. I shopped there and he made me feel like I was not only unwelcome, but that I was wasting his time looking through his stuff. What's worse is that I'm close with one of his employees and he even knew that. I heard he threw out NV's Battle Comp rep for no real reason other than something like "if he wanted products, he'd order them." I know the (now former) BC rep, who is very professional and quite knowledgable on the subject matter. There's no reason to treat anyone like that, and it's not like BCs are snake oil.

    Basically, I'd never shop there again.
    I'm going to guess Lock N Load ;-) How did I do?

  20. #1800
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,038
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm going to guess Lock N Load ;-) How did I do?
    Nope
    I might disagree with your religion, your politics, your TTPs, and your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.

Page 90 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •