Page 91 of 408 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: DUMBEST things overheard at the gun store.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmanus View Post

Second, just because an officer is in the room and decides to not address something, doesn't mean that what they aren't addressing is legal. If NJ is anything like NY it IS illegal for your girlfriend to hold/fire/or be in any form of possession of a firearm without the NJ card. Just because three or fifty officers at a gun range enjoying some time away from work decided not to address this doesn't change the law.
    The thing is, I asked a number of officers if it was illegal to her to put a hand on a firearm inside a store, they all said no it is no. I asked the clerks in 3 stores, only one said no.

If she can not be in possetion of a firearm, then how can she shoot with me at the range, which is mind you located int he back of the store? How can a 12 year old shoot a .22LR rifle his dad bought if a 12 year old can not get a NJ Firearms ID card? She is allowed to hold the weapon under the supervision of someone with a NJ FID which I, and everyone working at the gun store have.

The thread is dumbest thing heard at a gun store, for my experience or lack there off, that is lol

Also, stupid question on the 5.56mm vs. .223"

Mathematicaly 5.56mm is .218897" not .223 and .223" is 5.6642mm not 5.56 so why do we call them the same? Does someone not know math? Sure we are talking about .004102" but why the difference? In engine building 4/1000 in some areas is HUGE, I cant imagine it being negligible in a fire arm...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Also, stupid question on the 5.56mm vs. .223"

Mathematicaly 5.56mm is .218897" not .223 and .223" is 5.6642mm not 5.56 so why do we call them the same? Does someone not know math? Sure we are talking about .004102" but why the difference? In engine building 4/1000 in some areas is HUGE, I cant imagine it being negligible in a fire arm...
    Irrelevant to thread, but 5.56 may not be 5.56, 9mm isn't 9mm, it is a title so to speak. And the cases are different, but .223 works in 5.56. The cases differ ever so slightly, but there is a reason the reverse doesn't work safely all the time.

On topic: Had someone tell me at an indoor range they dont want me to use any ammo I brought with me for .22lr AR in case I decided to "reload a hot round that will penetrate their backstop"...

I understand this really is the case for any other caliber, but I had one mag loaded with federal bulk that was visible. .22lr... Reloading... Seriously?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shrockster View Post
    THank you for the thread and the advice I will check into it... I love my XD but like I have said I haven't gotten to shoot it yet
    You love your XD but you haven't gotten to shoot it yet?

That's a statement that CLEARLY belongs in this thread.

Feedback Score
    I Sh*t you not.......

"This is the end where the round exits..."

Yes, it was actually said!
    Don't ask how many guns I have. You should be more concerned with which one I am proficient at!

"We don't believe in advanced shootings skills, we only believe in perfect execution of the fundamentals understress!" - TigerSwan Staff

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    it just baffles me how people can arrive at some the the conclusions they do, and pass them around as though cannonical to poor unsuspecting customers. how the crap was he able to spew some pretty obscure and totally incorrect information, and with such authority, at the drop of a hat like that?
    Are you kidding?? They're starting to arrive HERE and do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post

If that were the case the brass would weigh more...they don't. I have heard that this is the case with .308 and 7.62x51, but I haven't measured or weighed them to see.

Yeah, like I said I know nothing about the topic. Only what I have read on this forum. It was in the reloading section. Someone asked what the difference was between loading .223 vs 5.56, and that was the answer that was given.

I guess someone filled several different brands of brass up with water and measured how many CC's each would hold. And almost every time the 5.56 brass had less volume. But it wasn't by much. We are only talking about a couple cc's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Are you kidding?? They're starting to arrive HERE and do it.
    Ads in magazines will do that.

ETA:I understand the reasons for promoting the site, and don't think it's bad...it just means that the old guard has to keep up the good work keeping the nonsense out.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 05-21-10 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrhazzrd View Post
    Yeah, like I said I know nothing about the topic. Only what I have read on this forum. It was in the reloading section. Someone asked what the difference was between loading .223 vs 5.56, and that was the answer that was given.

I guess someone filled several different brands of brass up with water and measured how many CC's each would hold. And almost every time the 5.56 brass had less volume. But it wasn't by much. We are only talking about a couple cc's.
    My information is based off of my own scale and calipers. Before I did that, I would have said the same exact thing based upon posts I've dug up from Pat Rogers, Randall at ar15barrels, and a few other relatively well respected folks.

Web thickness can vary more from manufacturer to manufacturer than from 5.56 to .223. If you use a little google you can probably come up with a picture Molon posted where he cross sectioned various brands.

Back to stupid gunstore quotes, sorry for the hijack....

Within the Miasma of the corruption of Chicago.
    Feedback Score
    Before we get the thread all the way back on track. 5.56 differs from .223 mainly in that it's made out of thicker brass. Thus it has smaller case capacity. The same amount of powder burning in this reduced capacity case creates significantly higher pressures.

Now back to you can't fix stupid.

I had a buddy call me this morning with a problem that a mutual friend left with him. It seems three years a go he was cleaning his Colt .357, and pushed a patch down the barrel without opening the cylinder first. Breaking the jag off with the patch stuck half in the cylinder half in the bore. We cleared it out quite handily by making a kind of corkscrew out of half of a wire bore brush.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    I heard this last week at one of the area store fronts that I rarely go into because of the idiots behind the counter:

Store guy: "yeah the XD is better than the glock, because you can bump fire it faster. With the XD, for every 4 shots fired you only hear one shot go off. With the Glock, you hear each shot."

dumb punk kid: "wow, really! Can I see one?"
    I would have laughed my Glock-Aid out my nose on that one !
    Last edited by Tang419; 05-21-10 at 17:07.
    God Bless our troops,
    and all the veterans that came before them.
    Thank you all for the sacrifice.

Page 91 of 408 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast