Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yrac View Post
    Probably not the best start here, eh?

You may well have gotten hits at that distance. However, the fact that the .338LM is superior to the .300's at the distances described is not in dispute. I have made hits on steel at 150-200yds with a 9mm handgun, but I wouldn't choose that platform over a .308 bolt gun for regular shooting at that distance. I think most folks interpret the OP's question as "what would be the best choice for the conditions I have described?" as opposed to "what can I get by with in a pinch?"
    i was responding to the fact people that admittedly had no experience with the cartridge were making it sound like it couldnt be done. well it can easily be done, and its a GREAT mile cartridge. ive probably gotten more first round hits with it than my 338 lapua. is 338 a little bet, well yes. will a 300RUM do 1 mile without a problem, you bet you ass it will.

thats all i was trying to say.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yrac View Post
    Probably not the best start here, eh?

You may well have gotten hits at that distance. However, the fact that the .338LM is superior to the .300's at the distances described is not in dispute. I have made hits on steel at 150-200yds with a 9mm handgun, but I wouldn't choose that platform over a .308 bolt gun for regular shooting at that distance. I think most folks interpret the OP's question as "what would be the best choice for the conditions I have described?" as opposed to "what can I get by with in a pinch?"
    I have no experience with either cartridge, but I'd take the word of someone who has experience with both over someone who, just like me, has no experience with either cartridge. I might as well just ask myself at that point.
    Last edited by 87GN; 02-23-09 at 12:27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12