Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best light weight 16" Mid-Length 1/7 Barrel?

Feedback Score

Best light weight 16" Mid-Length 1/7 Barrel?

I hope that 2007 will hold a new upper for me. I'm currently running a Noveske 16" mid-length. The barrel is far more accurate than I am but this accuracy seems to be wasted since its a patrol gun with an 4moa Aimpoint for optic.

I'd like to build a lighter weight upper but don't know what to choose for a barrel. I like what I've read about the BCM barrels but it doesn't sound like you can actually get one.

What does the group recommend, chrome lined is definitely preferred.

thanks in advance........

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You could reprofile a Sabre Defense 16" Middy barrel to .625" but if I already had a Noveske I'd just keep using it.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    If you are happy with the accuracy, I agree, send it off to get turned on a lathe, lighten it up a bit. That is too good a barrel to sit in a closet unused.

AR15 Barrels site

I know they can do it!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    CMMG has a 14.5" Lightweight Mid-Length Barrel w/Permanent Hider. I don't see a 16" Lightweight Mid on their site but you could ask -- it's possible that the 14.5" starts out as a 16" somewhere in its life.

I don't have any direct experience with CMMG though.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    You could try a Cavalry Arms midlength upper. It is .625 under the handguards, and .75 forward of the handguard cap. Mine shoots very well for a chromelined upper.

EDIT: Just saw that you want 1/7 twist. Sorry. Please disregard.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    I have had lots of success with Lilja blanks, profiled to whatever specs you'd like. They make a competition barrel, profiled by Compass Lake, fluted, middy...might want to look at the route..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor
    I have had lots of success with Lilja blanks, profiled to whatever specs you'd like. They make a competition barrel, profiled by Compass Lake, fluted, middy...might want to look at the route..

Mr. Connor,

Is CLE the source for the barrel you describe above?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JFPATCH
    Mr. Connor,

Is CLE the source for the barrel you describe above?
    Lilja Precision Barrels makes the blanks, then you can have them sent to Compass Lake Engineering for the final finishing.

Be ready to wait though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne
    What does the group recommend, chrome lined is definitely preferred.
    Given your Cr lined preference....and assuming your not wanting to wait for a
    BCM middie....

I'd go with the Sabre Defence govt profiled 16" mid length gas system...and have it re-profiled and cut to 14.5 and a vortex flash hider pinned by Randall Rausch ..aka ar15barrels.com

I've heard that going 'thin' on stainless barrel is contra-indicated (why I am not sure) other than stainless being softer..compared to CrMoly...hopefully someone will more expertise will jump in and shed some light on light profiled stainless barrels...go or no go?
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    if you want lighter-go shorter. i'd keep the 16" like you have it and build a second w/ a 12.5, either noveske or lilja/frank white. it's a nice high-speed size that's reliable (more then a 10 or shorter) w/ a mid-length gas system. my two-cents anyhow.
    I would rather be judged by twelve, then carried by six.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast