Thread: Transfer into a Trust

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Transfer into a Trust

I did a search but did not come up with an answer.

If I already own a NFA item on a form 1 or 4 [in my name] and want to transfer it into my family trust, do I pay another $200 for each item? And, I would use a form 4?

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Damn! I think you'd have to F4 it.

Why would you want to do this? I guess if you're talking about expensive machine guns the $200 is negligible, but still.

I look at the whole thing like this... I just want to have some damned document to show to the man if I have to. I don't care if it's a trust, a Shcmust or whatever. Just give me the stamp and leave me alone.

Feedback Score
    All of my F1 and F4 are in my trust. You would have to pay $200 for the new owner (the trust) to be transferred the item. The only exception, I think, would be if you die first. That may still require the fee, I'm not positive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The law generally views a legal entity as a separate "person" - that includes a trust, a corporation, a LLC, etc.

So if you are transferring a NFA item that you own personally to that entity then yes, that is a separate taxable transfer from you (person A) to the entity (person B) - you would have to do a Form 4, pay the $200, wait the 2 or more months for it to be processed, etc.

I know it seems bizarre and arbitrary especially if you are the sole owner/officer/trustee in the entity, but you have to do it if you want the trust to be the owner.

Feedback Score
    Why would you do this transfer?

The ATF has now decided that items do not transfer out of a trust on a form 5.

Leave it where it is and it will go to an heir on a form 5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everyone, thank you for the info.