Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Glock +2 extensions

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Functional reliability with the Glock factory +2s is not a normal issue, assuming decent magazine springs, etc. What IS an operational problem with them is the tendancy for them to be knocked OFF the holstered weapon on car doors, steering wheels, wall corners, etc. Of course when that occurs, the magazine vomits the ammo, mag spring and follower out for all to see and enjoy. Murphy's Law says that will happen when you really need it and the contents will go down the nearby storm drain! For that reason, they shouldn't be in the gun. If they are used on the range or possibly for a reload, that's another matter to consider.
    I've had non-extended Glock mags explode in similar fashion.

You make a good point about Murphy's law, but it can happen at any time. By definition it happens most frequently when you've done everything in your power to compensate for it.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 02-24-09 at 10:21.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I've had non-extended Glock mags explode in similar fashion.

You make a good point about Murphy's law, but it can happen at any time. By definition it happens most frequently when you've done everything in your power to compensate for it.
    How did they blow John? Dumping one on the deck? conctrete?

ToddG Guest
    Call me crazy, but if I wanted a 17-round 9mm Glock magazine for a G19, I'd use, oh I dunno, a G17 mag?

Like Wayne, I've seen too many people lose the floorplate on those +2 extenders. It just isn't worth the risk for two extra rounds. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Call me crazy, but if I wanted a 17-round 9mm Glock magazine for a G19, I'd use, oh I dunno, a G17 mag?

Like Wayne, I've seen too many people lose the floorplate on those +2 extenders. It just isn't worth the risk for two extra rounds. YMMV.
    Thanks Todd but im using them on G17 mags, as of yet primarily on range mags. Have you seen the new style of extensions shit the bed? They seen alot more secure than the old ones..

ToddG Guest
    beau -- I cannot say off the top of my head that I've seen the newer ones have problems, but I don't normally stop everything and ask people to carbon date gun parts when I see failures on the range, either. So the only honest answer I can give you is that I don't know.

The question remains, what are you gaining from a practical standpoint with those two extra rounds and what are you giving up by using the extension? For me, I'd rather stick with the tried and true factory 17rd configuration.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beau1911 View Post
    How did they blow John? Dumping one on the deck? conctrete?
    Nope no impact at all just erupted. Heard the "sproing" and this tinkling of 9mm rounds raining down my leg. It was very disconcerting since I was in a store at the time. It's always fun to blow your cover in such a spectacular fashion.

It was a used mag I got with a G17 and it may have been dropped earlier and I didn't know, it may similarly have been a bad mag. The baseplate looked a little warped.

The statement wasn't meant to be a critique of Glock magazines at all. Just a statement that Murphy was an optimist and bad things can happen even when you do everything right.

I do agree with Todd however, in a G17, what does 19 rounds of 9mm get you that 17 does not?
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 02-24-09 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nope no impact at all just erupted. Heard the "sproing" and this tinkling of 9mm rounds raining down my leg. It was very disconcerting since I was in a store at the time. It's always fun to blow your cover in such a spectacular fashion.

It was a used mag I got with a G17 and it may have been dropped earlier and I didn't know, it may similarly have been a bad mag. The baseplate looked a little warped.

The statement wasn't meant to be a critique of Glock magazines at all. Just a statement that Murphy was an optimist and bad things can happen even when you do everything right.

I do agree with Todd however, in a G17, what does 19 rounds of 9mm get you that 17 does not?
    Got it, thanks John. Good points by all.

Feedback Score
    I would not use any extention for carry. I had 2 different Glock +2's come off during reloads in USPSA matches. They are OK for practice but my personal opinion is not to bet your life on them.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see a virtue of maybe having ONE 33 round mag on your thigh rig as a last ditch contingency, but when you start talking about more than one it means giving up rifle mags for the same weight cost.
    I really see no application for those 30+ round pistol mags other than "range toy." Any contingency involving a true application of them (if there is one) as you describe would have me up the Class 5 rapid portion of the crap creek and probably already drowned.

The point about the +2 extensions popping off and "pez dispensing" your ammo out rapidly seems valid. I've never seen it or experienced it, but it certainly seems like a plausible and worrisome event. I'll have to consider whether I want to keep using them on my G26.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 02-25-09 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    I really see no application for those 30+ round pistol mags other than "range toy." Any contingency involving a true application of them (if there is one) as you describe would have me up the Class 5 rapid portion of the crap creek and probably already drowned.

The point about the +2 extensions popping off and "pez dispensing" your ammo out rapidly seems valid. I've never seen it or experienced it, but it certainly seems like a plausible and worrisome event. I'll have to consider whether I want to keep using them on my G26.
    I don't dispute the wisdom of your statement, like I said "maybe". Though not having to reload for a while might not be a bad thing.

There has to be an application beyond the range toy concept...why else build the freakin things? Especially when you haven't changed your underlying pistol design in a quarter of a century and every magazine is essentially the same.

The pez dispenser can happen at any time with a bad mag, the extensions only increase the probability it will happen with a good one.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 02-25-09 at 16:51.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast