Thread: 40 Highpower

Feedback Score

40 Highpower

I know its not the 1st choice in HPs(9mm) but how does it hold up compared to the modern plastic guns. Is the plastic stronger than the cast steel. Also how is accuracy and reliablity as compared to hks, glocks, or m&ps. Only reason I ask is I have been playing with a 9mm and they are so small and slim for what they are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IIRC .40 caliber Hi-Powers don't have a stellar track record for durability.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I broke a range rental personally.

Feedback Score
    They are pretty good but the gun was reverse engineered to handle the 40 and isn't your best solution for long term or heavy use. I had one that Don Williams customized for me and if I was told that it would be the only gun I could ever carry I wouldn't feel short changed. It just requires a different approach to use than one of the plastic fantastics. Some people don't see that as a trade off that they would be willing to make. You might. Only you could answer that question.

My experience, sample size of one, was that the gun was very accurate and very reliable even before having it worked on.
    Last edited by rubberneck; 09-16-10 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    dutch,

I received some good info to a similar question a while back:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20590

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    As others have said, it does not have a very good durability or reliability record. Most 9mm that are tweaked into a .40S&W in order to share similar external dimensions are not going to be as durable as pistols that were designed to be .40S&Ws from scratch. The frame and slide of a .40S&W pistol needs to have thicker parts in order to withstand the additional shock, and that means wider frames and slides.

Some examples of pistols that were designed from scratch to be .40S&Ws and have good durability and reliability records are:
    -Sig P229
    -Steyr M-Series
    -S&W M&P .40
    -S&W 4006
    -H&K USP .40

Feedback Score
    What do you guys think of turning a 40 into a 9mm to shoot +p and +p+ as a 9. Any better and is it expencive.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    What do you guys think of turning a 40 into a 9mm to shoot +p and +p+ as a 9. Any better and is it expencive.
    If I were to start carrying a BHP, that's the approach I would take. The real question becomes, why spend all that money to jury-rig something into a durable & reliable 9mm pistol when there are already half a dozen or more excellent options on the market?

I'm not saying it's a fool's errand and if it's what you want, rock on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    I'd like to do this conversion someday and I know for fact that Bar-Sto makes a barrel for just this purpose. You'll get better longevity out of the platform by converting from .40 to 9mm, but if you're just looking for a good carry piece in 9mm, then there's other excellent solutions out there. If you're just into High Powers then carry on and let us know how it comes out.