Thread: A barrel-extending muzzle device mounting system?

Feedback Score

A barrel-extending muzzle device mounting system?

A curious idea came to me this morning and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever seen or contemplated such a thing. Here's my problem: I was thinking about welding a suppressor to my barrel so that its total length would come out to just over 16 inches. That way I wouldn't have to jump through the SBR hoops (another $200 tax stamp, can't take my SBR'd receiver across state lines without ATF approval, or to a state that doesn't allow them, etc.).

So, while I was wondering about the practicality of doing such a thing to my poor barrel, I started thinking: Is there a better way to achieve the same goal? That is, is there another way to extend the legal length of the barrel, besides welding on the can?

My first thought was, OK, why not weld on a simple steel tube so that it protrudes four or five inches beyond the threaded end of the barrel, thus making its legal length just over 16 inches. Then I would simply insert the suppressor into the tube and screw it on to the barrel. I could even drill holes in the tube to make it lighter and easier to clean.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

A more advanced conception also occurred to me. Imagine a 12" barrel that sharply flanges out to, say, 2" in diameter at its end. From this muzzle face extend three 4"-long integral steel pins that are arranged in a triangle. This brings the barrel to the legal overall length. Then you could buy a variety of compatible muzzle devices (flash hiders, brakes, suppressors, etc) that slide snugly over these pins and lock in place by means of some simple screw-type system that interfaces with ridges or notches in the pins. (Hopefully the pins would not interfere too much with the design & operation of the devices. I don't think they would pose too much of a problem, but I'm not an expert here.)

So that's my weird muzzle contraption idea for today. Any thoughts? Am I insane or totally misguided?

(P.S. Here's another strange idea along the same lines: What if you welded a steel bayonet underneath your barrel? Would that extend its legal length?)
    Last edited by Pericles; 03-05-09 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just pay the $200 and enjoy an SBR.

Perming a can is a bad idea. After you own one for a while, you'll be glad you never permed it to a barrel.

Feedback Score
    If you welded the suppressor to the front of the barrel, wouldn't you still need to follow NFA regulations as far as crossing state lines?

The contraption you suggest seems a bit complicated. It might simply be easier to have 2 uppers - a 16" barrel when you travel and a 12" barrel for suppressor and local use.

good luck,
    al

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    SIGH

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would think you could just have the flash hider permanently attached if you used a suppressor that attached directly to the FH.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    OP-
    This is a road wrought with heart-ache.
    I would advise sticking to the tried and true methods, even having a pinned and welded FH is a PITA for some users.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-05-09 at 13:06.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com