Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which Tourniquet do you carry?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    I currently have on my person or vehicle (most all times) SWAT-T, however with my firearms gear (range, bump in the night) a SOF-TTW. I read through the post, it definitely seems CAT and SOF are the preference. Any thoughts on the SWAT? I have limited training, however do practice with each - I know I need more medical training though and am loking into that. TIA
    The SWAT-T is a good TQ if applied correctly and is good for edc but it's far from ideal. It's easy to use for buddy aid but applying it to yourself with one hand can get tricky and often involves teeth. The advantage of the SWAT-T is in it's size and for peds use. If you're putting together a kit to keep in a bag, vehicle, workshop etc. I would choose a CAT or SOFTT-W. For a pocket kit the SWAT-T is preferable to say the TK-4 or RATs in my opinion but that's up to preference. One thing I like about the SWAT T is that it can be used as a pressure dressing which is more than likely what you'll be needing anyway VS a TQ. But if I'm being dispatched to a call and I know what I'll be walking into I'm grabbing the CAT.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    The SWAT-T is a good TQ if applied correctly and is good for edc but it's far from ideal. It's easy to use for buddy aid but applying it to yourself with one hand can get tricky and often involves teeth. The advantage of the SWAT-T is in it's size and for peds use. If you're putting together a kit to keep in a bag, vehicle, workshop etc. I would choose a CAT or SOFTT-W. For a pocket kit the SWAT-T is preferable to say the TK-4 or RATs in my opinion but that's up to preference. One thing I like about the SWAT T is that it can be used as a pressure dressing which is more than likely what you'll be needing anyway VS a TQ. But if I'm being dispatched to a call and I know what I'll be walking into I'm grabbing the CAT.
    Thanks for the reply. I also read through some other threads here in the EFA forum and the consensus definitely seems to say CAT or SOF, however the SWAT is good for lightweight EDC or if it is all you got. And this is basically why I have the SWAT, it is lo pro to have with me the majority of the day and in all sorts of places. All this being said, I need to add another or two more TQ's and so I may branch out to try a CAT.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CAT, I carry a few of them. A couple on my PC, in my car, and my med bag. I also have a RATS, but the CAT reigns supreme IMHO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I haven't seen any or much discussion on the RATS. What are the thoughts on it here?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I haven't seen any or much discussion on the RATS. What are the thoughts on it here?
    It is OK. I feel it's not as intuitive to use as the CAT, which isn't good, especially for people without medical experience, or in a stressful situation. However, it is pretty good to carry around, as it is thin, and easily concealable on a belt etc for simple edc. It would never be my first line of defense for hemorrhage control, but it would probably be my third, I really dislike the SWAT-T TQ. In order of preference CAT, SOF-T, RATS, SWAT-T.

Feedback Score
    I spoke with the man behind the RAT. The gist of the conversation was that Afghan National Army Soldiers would not apply the appropriate amount of pressure with CAT or SOF-T when training. Seeing that the ANA guys were adverse to the pain of TQ application, they needed something else and the RAT was born. The RAT is misleading because it has TC3 approved stamped or engraved into the metal, but The Comitee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) in Ft Sam Houston, TX has not recommended it.

When training with your TQ you have to remember that it is painful! Have a TQ specifically for training and a few for actual life threatening bleeding. If you wear them mounted on your kit, change them out every six months or so and use the old TQ for training. And never ever use your FAK to store your iPhone, cigarettes, Copenhagen, skittles, or anything but your 1st Aid gear.
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zekus480 View Post
    I spoke with the man behind the RAT. The gist of the conversation was that Afghan National Army Soldiers would not apply the appropriate amount of pressure with CAT or SOF-T when training. Seeing that the ANA guys were adverse to the pain of TQ application, they needed something else and the RAT was born. The RAT is misleading because it has TC3 approved stamped or engraved into the metal, but The Comitee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) in Ft Sam Houston, TX has not recommended it.

When training with your TQ you have to remember that it is painful! Have a TQ specifically for training and a few for actual life threatening bleeding. If you wear them mounted on your kit, change them out every six months or so and use the old TQ for training. And never ever use your FAK to store your iPhone, cigarettes, Copenhagen, skittles, or anything but your 1st Aid gear.
    Well said. I also read the same thing about the RATS not being TCCC certified. We didn't even use/talk about one when I did my TCCC course, nor have I met any other medics that actually like it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789