Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Tourniquet do you carry?

Feedback Score
    The CAT I picked up is in 'rescue orange'. Since it's in my range 'oh-shit' bag, I wanted to make sure that it was very plainly seen. Right now it's in the bag, but I might pick up the TourniquetNow! from Blue Force Gear since my range bag has PALS webbing outside.

They're definitely tools you need to practice with to become proficient with.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    I carry two tk-4's on the chest rig and two more in the range bag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone know anything about the MAT?
    The MAT is severely flawed. If yu crank down to the point that you get occlusion and then crank once or twice more, the 550 cord guts will pop and the device will lose all tension. It's a neat concept, but the execution isn't there yet.
    "He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers." -- Charles Peguy

I currently teach for Tactical Response.

I have taught for Options for Personal Security, Tac Pro Shooting Center, and Shivworks, as well as teaching under my own banner.

I have given presentations at Tom Given's Polite Society Conferences, the National Tactical Invitational and Gabe Suarez's WarriorTalk Symposia.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doc Mike of CSM Gear has the McMillan Tourniquet

http://www.csmgear.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=3
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    The NATO tourniquet is the best one I have seen. No parts to break, useful for self treatment, cheap, and light weight.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/natotourniquet.aspx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon08 View Post
    The NATO tourniquet is the best one I have seen. No parts to break, useful for self treatment, cheap, and light weight.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/natotourniquet.aspx
    The problem with the NATO is that it came in last place in the testing done by the Navy Experimental Diving Unit. I posted the link to the PDF earlier in this discussion. This is probably one of the better reviews done so far. I was surprised how well the MAT did...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So far I've received those marked in red, with those marked in blue in-bound. Once they're all here I'll get some pics of the group and singly to get relative (to each other, a magazine, and a round) size as well as weight of each. I also have a BFG Tourniquet NOW! strap inbound to check compatibility with each product.

Feedback Score
    I was issued both CAT and SOF while in Iraq. Both are very good tourniquets, but I'm more partial to the SOF because I don't like the idea of a chance of the CAT snapping.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    I was issued both CAT and SOF while in Iraq. Both are very good tourniquets, but I'm more partial to the SOF because I don't like the idea of a chance of the CAT snapping.
    My understanding of some of the CAT windlass strap durability problems is that troops were overusing their CATs for training, whereas the CAT is supposed to be a single use item. Perhaps having a separate CAT for training purposes is the way to go?

One of the interesting things to me about the Navy study on tourniquets is that the SOF-T did not prove statistically more durable than the CAT (both experienced a very low failure rate; see page 27 and appendix C-1). Also, if the subjective data is excluded and only the empirical measurements are used, the CAT moves up into the list of 'A' tourniquets (this is discussed on page 32).
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 03-15-09 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, they do sell a blue trainer version of the CAT.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast