Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Which Tourniquet do you carry?

Feedback Score
    I went looking for this thread as I had remembered reading it a while back as I had occasion to use a personally-owned CAT tourniquet last month in Manhattan. We had been issued them and carry it on our duty rig but after seeing and hearing about how effective they were I bought a few and put them in my carry bag and one in my vehicle. At the time of the incident mentioned here I had finished my tour for the day and was actually driving home on the West Side Highway when I came across the truck that had jumped a curb. The truck had smashed into a light post and I noted that there was a person being attended to by two other people. What struck me was that it was so odd in the middle of New York City to not see any emergency vehicles or anyone in uniform, so I decided to stop.

IMG_20161011_171433570.jpg

This is a description taken from an email sent by our director of operational medicine:

"The FBI has its own uniformed police force securing several of our key facilities across the country. The FBI Operational Medicine staff has trained them in our version of TC3 combat lifesaver and equipped them with TQs carried on their patrol belts and IFAKS in police vehicles and guard posts.

Last week one of our police officers in Manhattan came upon a victim of a reported auto-pedestrian accident sitting on a bench at the scene. He observed a large quanity of blood running through the slats of the bench from a wound in the victim's thigh. Another rescuer was attempting to use a belt as a TQ without effect. The officer applied his issued TQ 'high and tight' over clothing per TC3 principles with good result. I am told the victim was transferred to EMS awake and alert."

The victim had been standing by the road waiting to cross when she was struck by the vehicle. Driver had fallen asleep after working an overnight shift and jump the curb. She sustained a broken pelvis, a broken kneecap and a deep laceration on her thigh. One of my lieutenants has since spoken to the attending physician and was told that had the tourniquet not been applied when it was the victim would have needed at the very least a transfusion due to blood loss.

I wanted to put this on m4c as the most positive thing that has come out of the event has been all the agents and support staff that have located, re-located or purchased either an IFAK or a tourniquet themselves to keep in or around their person all the time. We had received our Care Under Fire (CUF) training from a couple of medics on the New York SWAT team and I felt more than prepared when the incident actually occurred. I can say from experience that the CAT is both extremely simple and effective. As I had never used one other than in training before the incident mentioned above.

Anyway, that's my story and I thought it was fitting to add into this thread.
    Last edited by rocsteady; 12-11-16 at 07:29.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Well done sir!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Well done sir!
    Thank you. It was quite the interesting event. Learned a bit about myself and more about the tourniquet itself.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used a CAT about a month ago on a machete wound to the arm. The laceration was pouring blood, and the patient had TWO arteries severed. After proper application of the tourniquet, I was able to get the bleeding completely stopped and the patient to the operating room. I carry two of them in my truck and I think that proper tourniquet training is essential for people who may encounter serious trauma (including people in the shooting sports)

Feedback Score
    Now that is good work! A machete!? Whole different ball game there.
    Last edited by rocsteady; 12-14-16 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    Excellent work!
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great job by the two of you for 1. Having a TQ, 2. Knowing how to use it, 3. Being willing to help.

A note for anyone who carries a TQ, direct pressure and elevation should be the 1st choice if applicable. A lot of factors go into that decision and must be weighed against the possible down sides of tourniquet use. As with everything, training is paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longball View Post
    Great job by the two of you for 1. Having a TQ, 2. Knowing how to use it, 3. Being willing to help.

A note for anyone who carries a TQ, direct pressure and elevation should be the 1st choice if applicable. A lot of factors go into that decision and must be weighed against the possible down sides of tourniquet use. As with everything, training is paramount.

Elevation is out.
    What possible downside of TQ use are you referring to?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Elevation is out.
    What possible downside of TQ use are you referring to?
    Mainly loss of limb, still preferable to loss of life of course. I know people have different opinions on tourniquets so I tried to edit that part out but forgot to hit save.

"These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    I carry 2 SOFT-W TQ's with me all the time & I keep 4 CAT's in my trauma kit in my car. I'm a retired Army medic, TC3 instructor, am currently an EMT for a 9-11 service, and a paramedic student. The modern CAT AND SOF-T-W are my go to choices for life threatening hemorrhage control. In theater I have seen the CAT AND SOF-T left in place or replaced by cleaner TQ's by surgeons until they have achieved hemostasis in the Operating Room. Sacrificing a limb for a life has been dispelled by observations and studies by the Comitee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care. Civilian pre hospital care providers (ER Physicians and EMS agencies nationwide) have adopted some of the principles of TC3, specifically that manufactured or improvised TQ are the method of choice and a best practice for life threatening bleeding.
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast