Thread: Reloading Info

Feedback Score

Reloading Info

I am a LEO and I am interested in a reloader that I can use to reload my .223 for practice, and reload them pretty fast, but still be able to handload my duty ammo. I would appreciate any help yall can give me.

Feedback Score

Dillon

Last edited by blktie8; 03-09-09 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nevermind
    Last edited by jackinfl; 03-09-09 at 22:17. Reason: re-thought my opinion

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPD102 View Post
    still be able to handload my duty ammo.
    HUH?

What agency will let you load your own duty ammo?

Feedback Score
    I am the assistant chief for a small town police dept, and I am also the number 2 man on the local drug interdiction squad. We are allowed to load our own duty ammo, but it has to be Hornady TAP or Talons. We can only load our own duty ammo for our long guns. Pistols they frown on, and we barely got the approval to load our own long gun ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I see. It's hard to recommend anything other than the Dillon 550 if you want to do practice ammo. It's bit of an up front cost to get fully operational, but reloading is just like anything else... There's no free lunch.

Feedback Score
    Also consider the Hornady LNL AP, it is more comparable to the Dillon 650 than the 550 and more affordable and they are usually running a promotion where you get 1000 free Hornady bullets with purchase of the LNL AP.

Both the 650 and the LNL AP have an auto indexing shell plate which serves to speed up the process a bit and make it a bit harder to achieve a double charge (though you can still do it if you are motivated to do so ).

If you are new to reloading consider getting the ABC's of reloading and possibly a single stage press first instead of a progressive. If you do go progressive run it as a turret for the first thousand rounds or so. To run it as a turret have just one piece of brass on the shell plate at a time so only one operation is occurring at a time and then gradually add more brass to the shell plate until you are running full progressive.
    Last edited by shadowalker; 03-10-09 at 13:40.