Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x39 bolt needed

Feedback Score

Beware of MGI

I too have been dealing with MGI for a while. Just understand two things with MGI, you're mostly bound to them if you want the best, most reliable bolt/firing pin and modified 7.62 bolt carrier. However, they are one of the worst "customer friendly" companies out there. Overburdened and understaffed, I'm sure. But don't expect updates or truthful answers to inquiries. Just order what you want and know it will take weeks to months to come in, but every time you call they will tell you "any day now."

Feedback Score
    Oh, I'm well aware of MGI's customer service issues but I do appreciate the heads up. While my lower arrived in a timely fashion, the upper receiver was another matter and for a while, it was lost in the system with no one able to tell me if it had shipped or not.

With all that taken into account though, I'm happy with the end product. I had some minor fitting issues with the lower as some of the pin holes were either undersized to begin with or had been partially filled during the finishing process. The roll pin and plunger holes for the bolt release were particularly bad. Not something I expect on a piece of kit that costs as much as it did.

Got my 20 inch 7.62 x 39 barrel in from Mod 1 sales the other week. It looks good and fits the MGI upper with no issues but the proof is in the shooting so I'm stuck until the BCG comes in from MGI.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer. I have found ton's of posts on this particular topic but, it seems, no actual answers. What sized gas tube is necessary for the 7.62 x 39 system to function propery? Can I get by with a regular 5.56 one or do I need to get one designed for the AR-10? Sorry if this has been answered but after scanning a couple hundred posts on various sites, I could not find a definitive answer (if there is one)

Feedback Score

MGI

mskdgunman, Rutro

how are your MGI rifles going?
    7.62 bolts/ barrels and deliveries?
    has any one shot there MGI much and or changed cal.
    I'm wating on upper and 7.62 barrel/ bolt

Feedback Score
    Overall, the MGI is running well. I haven't gotten around to ordering the 7.62 bolt yet but thats all I'm lacking for that particular caliber. I hope to get it ordered in a month or so once I get some other obligations cleared up.

As it sits now, I've got an Olympic Arms 16 inch bull barrel in 5.56 in it. The longest range I have available is about 60 yards and with a Millet DMS (from a bench) it'll put 5 rounds of 55 grain TAPs inside 1/2 inch all day. I imagine with somebody who can actually shoot, it's capable of better.

As far as changing out barrels goes, when I was first zeroing it, I shot with the bull barrel from 25 yards, pulled it, replaced it with a 16 inch M-4 profile, shot that for a while and then swapped the bull barrel back in. I didn't notice any change of zero at all but, I understand that the range was short and any differences may not have shown up. Bear in mind that I haven't even gotten 500 rounds through it yet which isn't enough to even test reliability but so far, all is going well. The QD barrel feature does make cleaning a breeze.

I've been waiting on a 5.45 barrel for about 5 months now and that will be my next caliber followed by .45. I'll probably be done after that.

Feedback Score
    I'm hoping my upper will be at my upper will be delivered this week, I've got a mid length barrel and bolt in 5.56 ready to go.. planning on 458 socom or 450 thumper after 7.62 set up. I'd like to use for hogs and deer maybe.

Feedback Score
    I originally ordered my bolt back in march of this year. I got tired of waiting and no answers to my e-mails to I called and cancelled my order for the bolt. I was able to get a bolt from Model 1 sales. It worked after I made the firing pin protrude a little more. To MGI's credit, I was finally able to speak to a very nice new receptionist by phone who was very apologetic and graciously credited my money back to my credit card. I do have an MGI barrel that is doing well so far. It seems to headspace nicely and has had no malfunctions other than the light primer strikes due to the shallow firing pin protrusion.

Feedback Score

7.62x39

still waiting on 7.62x39 BCG, barrel for mine.. I'll probly order 450 barrel and bolt from Ballistic Advantage or whoever has one and have to call back weekly for a order status. great product as far as use so far.

Feedback Score
    I've had a chance to shoot my 7.62x39 rifle a bit now. No malfunctions with the model 1 sales bolt after modding the firing pin. The Model 1 bolt was at my house within a week of ordering it. The M-4 feed ramps on the MGI barrel were a nice addition because the rifle seems to feed very smoothly. The springs on my 30rd C-products magazines are noticable less stiff than they were, but still seem to be working ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12