Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking my off duty gun

Feedback Score
    I have been looking at getting one.

Thanks for the information

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    Same applies to the M&P or other brand of your choice. Cross training between two dissimilar pistols is counter productive in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    The more you train and practice with one type of handgun, the more I feel you should stay with that type of handgun for all of your defensive needs.
    I agree. And while many say it's possible to learn multiple systems...why? I'd rather not take the chance. I carry a USPf .45 on duty and a USPc .45 off duty. Occasionally I'll carry my SW442 or LCP as a 2nd gun off duty, but they are both no safety, point and pull guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decon View Post
    How do you like the LCP? Wasn't there a notice from Ruger, recently. What was that all about?
    I know it's not directed to me, but I love my LCP. I put about 600 problem free rounds through it before ever carrying it. Now I have over 1000 rds through it. Still not a single FTF/FTE/etc. At one range session, I shot a cpl hundred rounds through her, carried it in my pocket for a cpl wks to get it 'linty', took it back out and shot another 100 rds w/o ever cleaning or lubing it. Not bad for a $300 pocket rocket IMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    I really like it. I had the early model, with the 370 serial number. I reluctantly sent my gun into Ruger for the recall. I had no problems with it, so I didn't really see the need to send it in. But, I sent it in and had it back in five days.
    I'm in the same boat. 370-xxx and I've read of ppl having issues after getting their gun back. Still haven't sent mine in. I will eventually

ToddG Guest
    What is your duty gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by .357sigger View Post
    Sig P229R in .40 s&w....
    SIG P229R in .40 S&W, then.

I love the easy ones.

Feedback Score
    I carry a Glock 21SF most of the time these days. Though I occasionally carry a Glock 23, Beretta 92FS or a Springfield Armory M1911A1 TRP Stainless Steel. I always carry at least 1 spare magazine and my Smith & Wesson 637 J-Frame always goes with me for backup.
    Last edited by Jack_Stroker; 03-11-09 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    I generally prefer to dress around the gun and just carry my duty pistol. My duty pistol is a stainless 5" P220 Elite so I don't want to hear any whining about carrying a P229. If you don't think it can be done, try a quality holster like a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

In the very rare instance, like shorts and a t-shirt, when I can't carry the P220, I carry a P245. I really like the direct transfer of all my training time.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 03-09-09 at 09:28.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    If you are issued a compact P229 then why not carry it for off duty? The G19/G23/USP/P239 will not be that much smaller to warrant a change. I carry a P229 on and off duty without any issues. Nothing wrong with what you have.

Feedback Score
    go with something similar to your duty gun
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .357sigger View Post
    I can carry any pistol I want in any caliber that I want. All I have to do is qualify with it. What gun would you carry and in what caliber...then tell me why. I have some ideas but I want to hear yours
    You can't go wrong carrying a S&W 642 or 442 .38 special J frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    Unless you encounter a shooting problem that requires more than five rounds...
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    J-frames are best as BUGs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast