Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legality of shotgun pistol

Feedback Score

Legality of shotgun pistol

I like to go hiking, and the more i go, the more concerned I get. I want to take a more powerful deterrent for the animals mainly the two legged variety (there have been problems with meth cookers and weed farmers in the area where I hike). I wanted to know if it would be legal to buy a single double barrel shotgun and cut it down to make a pistol to fit into my rucksack. I am not sure if this is legal. Can someone shed some light on this?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm sorry I have nothing to advise about shotguns, but here is a alternative the Glock 20. Sixteen shots that will blow Kimbo out of his sneakers. Lighter than a shotgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy a high quality concealable pistol up to the task required.

The previous recommendation of a G20 is excellent for a woods gun, and others will do well too.

Feedback Score
    I like my pistols too much to take on week long hikes where I might not be able to take care of the way i want. On the other hand a $100 shotgun i would not care about banging up.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    I like my pistols too much to take on week long hikes where I might not be able to take care of the way i want. On the other hand a $100 shotgun i would not care about banging up.
    Seriously?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    On the other hand a $100 shotgun i would not care about banging up.
    Not sure where you are going to find what you asked about for $100, but if it is a FNA AOW the transfer fee is only $5: http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Edited to add: But it still may not be legal in your state. Check your state laws.
    Last edited by austinN4; 03-08-09 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, why limit yourself to 2 rounds...why not 5? Not many people on this site like Taurus firearms, but I've had nothing but smooth sailing with mine. Here's the Taurus Judge...a 5-round .410 magnum revolver.

http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/revolvers.cfm
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, you could get a Mossberg Breacher. It has a pistol grip. As long as the barrel is 18" with an overall length of 26" you should be ok. But check your State laws.

That said, I think it would be a terrible choice for two legged varmits, and a double barrel is more so. Very hard to shoot and fight with.

I guess you don't own a Glock. That would be my choice...
    Last edited by Iraq Ninja; 03-08-09 at 17:48.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    What you need is a Glock. Its tennifer slide will not scratch easily and it will serve you well. Practice often and eventually it will never leave your side. Mine even sleeps under my pillow at night.Oh, and it's probably more hassle than it's worth to have to fill out the paperwork required to convert a shotgun to a pistol. That's like something the bad guy would have in an Indiana Jones movie. If you ever did have to use the thing for self defence, the unusual nature of the firearm and the fact that it was registered as a short barrel shotgun,or AOW, I don't know much NFA stuff, would probably raise eyebrows.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 03-08-09 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wanted to know if it would be legal to buy a single double barrel shotgun and cut it down to make a pistol to fit into my rucksack.
    I clearly didn't read your OP well enough. I am no FNA expert, but I don't believe you can make a pistol from a regular shotgun. You can make it into a SBS (short barreled shotgun, but it must be NFA registered as such before you cut the barrel. I don't believe you can cut the stock off, however. Shotgun pistols, I believe, must have never had a regular stock on the receiver from the manufacturer in order to qualify as a AOW. But even if you could get it to be FNA legal, it could still be illegal in your state.

I agree with the others, go with a good hicap autoloading pistol. But if you really want to explore a shotgun pistol, here is a thread on SBS that might have some answers for you: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=80131

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast