Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pouches on Carrier vs Chest rig over Carrier? Opinions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pouches on Carrier vs Chest rig over Carrier? Opinions

Looking for opinions on this....

Looking for your opinion on whether to directly attach my pouches, mag holders, etc directly to my interceptor carrier, or get something like a TT chest rig to fit directly over the carrier.

It seems like there are benefits to both. I kind of like the idea of being able to take all of my gear off without taking off the armor....

Your thoughts?

The next question then is which Carrier would you recommend as a replacement to the original Interceptor carrier?
    Last edited by Wilco; 03-08-09 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is this for professional use or for personal?

I'm struggling a bit with the same concept for personal use. I currently run a chest rig with no armor, and am considering adding concealable armor (with included plate pocket) to run underneath and adjustable stops on the chest rig straps to make it easy to bump it out to allow for the armor.

However, I'm also considering going to a plate carrier with standalone plates and wearing that all the time, with similar adjustable straps to bump out when I add the soft armor underneath.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob,

Personal, but I want it for real world use, you know....just in case things go to hell in a handbasket......

Feedback Score
    While AD, I have had and used both but that was because Uncle Sam bought it for me. The mission dictated what I would use. If it was my own coin and had to chose one I would use a separate chest rig and plate carrier...more flexible.
    Dulce bellum inexpertis

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have been running a separate vest/chest rig for some time now. It gives me better flexibility when my mission dictates a lower profile.

It works for me in my job.
    Seler * Silens * Mortalis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool, I like that idea of having a carrier with the chest rig as well. If I want to where soft armor, I can use the chest rig as well.

What type of Carrier would you all suggest for Interceptor armor with SAPI plates? I just want to switch from the Interceptor Carrier to a new, maybe more low profile carrier.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To me, mission flexibility means tossing mission-specific items into an assault pack and carting that, too. Otherwise, you need your armor and you need to access 4 things: bullets, band-aids, tools, comms. Flexibility by itself means you can reach them all from virtually any position you end up in after getting flattened. So, I go the other way for what I consider my no-shit Danger Danger Will Robinson kit.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of having to fumble with more than one system, for one. You hang it all on one platform, you only have one thing to put on. I'll go so far as to pull plates if I'm feeling delicate that day, but that doesn't happen often because that armor is required for work, and the weight provides me incentive to keep up with my PT. Otherwise, it's tossed over the head and one side of the cummerbund pulled snug and secured

Two, there's nothing wrong with it being comparatively heavy, since I seriously doubt I'm going to be chasing anybody here the way I had to IOT detain durkas overseas. All my modification/configuration efforts have always been geared toward reducing bulk, which I find to be more tiring than overt weight. A piece of gear can be as heavy as it needs to be if it interferes less with my range of motion than a lighter piece that gets in the way more.

All that said, if I'm just going to the range to throw lead, I've got an Eagle chest harness I wear instead of all that other heavy-ass BS.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    All that said, if I'm just going to the range to throw lead, I've got an Eagle chest harness I wear instead of all that other heavy-ass BS.
    Which isn't a bad idea either; configuring a simple chest rig similar to the big armored rig such that magazines are in the same place on both rigs. I know several people that operate this way.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I run my stuff on my armor.

If I was just wandering around for my own enjoyment and needed to carry around a few mags I would just use a chest rig of some type. I don't have much tome for that though. Instead, I am stuck training in my full battle-rattle since that is how I go to work.

I do not like having layers to work through on my gear. Minor shifts of each layer will wind up with excessive movement of the end item away from where you train to habitually find it. However, if you do not need to wear body-armor, a direct-attach chest rig will work well.

The only time that it is arguable better to have a chest rig separate from armor is when using concealable armor in a concealment role. At least in my opinion and experience. However- wearing a rig over armor will feel and interact differently than without armor.

If you need armor, train in it. If you don't need it, you will be much better off without it. As far as armor goes, the Interceptor is about 10 years behind. Are you using rifle plates? If not, the armor is pretty much just excess weight for no reason. Really though, if you want to be light, agile, and relevant, I would recommend plates in a plate carrier with attached pouches. You might want to take a look over at lightfighter.net and see how different people use different gear as it pertains to their use.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-08-09 at 12:51.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok,

I what type of Carrier with cumberbund is recommended to carry replace the Interceptor carrier? This will carry the armor + SAPI plates....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast