Want a .45 HD gun - USP45 vs M&P45

USPf 45 - $750
    MR09 rail - $80
    Total - $830

M&P45 - $470
    CTC grips - $300
    14 rd mag - $35
    Total - $805

I already have an extra x300 in the safe. So I can get the USP with a light or the M&P with the light AND laser grips for about the same price.

I would have (4) 10 rd mags and (1) 14 rd mag for the M&P. I already have (15) 12 rd mags for my USP.

I carry a USPf 45 on duty and a USPc 45 off duty. At night, I slide the x300 onto my USPc for bedside duty. I would like to get another gun dedicated for HD. Should I go with another USPf 45 or try the M&P45? Does having the laser grips on a HD gun outweigh having the familiarity with the USP? The M&Ps seem to be the cat's meow right now and it's always nice to branch out. What do the pros think??

Thanks for any feedback guys/gals!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even though I prefer the M&P far more than the USP, I'd say go with what you're familiar with. In a SHTF situation in your home, you don't want to be thinking about which gun you're carrying and how to change the mags. Plus, in a pinch, your duty mags would work in your HD gun, right? Streamline the system....
    Last edited by citizensoldier16; 03-09-09 at 23:32.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Because you don't have Glock as an option, I'd go with the next best thing, the S&W. Cheaper and arguably more reliable.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    Since you appear to be willing to change pistols I would say go for an HK 45 over another USP. Better ergo's than the older HK's. I also really like the M&P .45's. Great ergo's better than the HK45 for muzzle flip and far better customer service than HK. Very accurate too.

Feedback Score
    Arguably more reliable than what?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    Because you don't have Glock as an option, I'd go with the next best thing, the S&W. Cheaper and arguably more reliable.

Feedback Score
    I vote M&P45 (The Mid size, with 10 round cap mags). A great balance between full and compact. If you haven't shot one, you should try it. One of the better shooting .45's for me. The recoil management is outstanding. The trigger and cosmetic twiks can be done buy several smiths out there. The HK45 is a great weapon as well, but you can own 2 M&P's for the price of one HK and there CS sucks. The M&P is very affordable and you can't beat S&W's excellent customer service.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 03-11-09 at 22:34.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with the above post..Try a HK45, Better ergo's and very accurate from what I've read. As far as HK's customer service goes, Well, I have had some very recent dealings with them. I bought a new HK P-2000 (9mm) with a LEM trigger, I noticed after getting it home that the LEM trigger wasn't working properly, It wasn't always engaging and leaving me with the heavy stock D.A. pull. I called Hk,(got someone on the first try) and explained what was going on, They issued me a R.A.# and told me to send it to them and they'd fix it and send it back...They did, total time down and back 13 days, it showed up yesterday.(S.A took 30 days to repair a 1911 I have) The problem was a bent flat spring, and I guess when they had my pistol, looking it over, they also found a out of spec firing pin spring,(I never noticed anything wrong with the F.P. spring) they replaced that too.. Test fired it, Of course parts, labor shipping back to me all on their dime, I was impressed, considering the horror stories I've read.. My pistol was fixed promply, they answered my questions on the phone, What more do you want??I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Test fire each of your choices and go from there. For me; the M&P would be the choice.

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the FNP-45?

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...020&gid=FNG001

Highly ergonomic, the FNP-45’s magazine release, decocking/manual safety levers and slide stop levers are all fully ambidextrous. The FNP-45 features an external hammer, 4.5" hammer-forged stainless steel barrel, stainless steel slide, full-length guide rod, C-More Systems™ fixed three-dot combat sights and a checkered polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and an integrated accessory rail. Every FNP-45 comes standard with three magazines, a locking device and a lockable fitted hard case. FNP-45 USG high-capacity models come standard with one 15-round and two 14-round magazines.

Between $550-$650.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=124744673

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    No Glocks! I know they are great guns and are dead tits reliable, but I can't stand the ergos (and cant them shoot well, but that's my issue not the gun). But I think the way it feels to me has a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Since you appear to be willing to change pistols I would say go for an HK 45 over another USP. Better ergo's than the older HK's. I also really like the M&P .45's. Great ergo's better than the HK45 for muzzle flip and far better customer service than HK. Very accurate too.
    I've felt/shot the HK45s and they are dead sexy. But an HK45 will run me over $1K with tax and all. If I was buying my duty gun (and if we were allowed HK45s), no problem. But not for something that will live on my night stand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast