Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want a .45 HD gun - USP45 vs M&P45

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    M&P definitely, especially for the cost it's as good a gun as the USP. For the record, I've owned both and sold both. I love the Glock (in 9mm) but I wouldn't get it in .45.

Cost aside I believe it to be a much more shootable handgun. The USP .45 shoots like a brick and is noticeably bigger. USP Muzzle-flip is much more significant though felt recoil is less than the M&P. That said, the USP is built like a tank, but imo it's overengineered...like most things in Germany.

The reason I got rid of the M&P had nothing to do with any flaws in the gun, but rather because I am simplifying my collection: Glock in 9mm and 1911 in .45.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Funny this thread should pop up. I've been wondering the same thing.

I really like the HK45. But it is so expensive, and the pricing on the mags is absolutely insane.

The M&P 45 can be had in FDE which I think is really cool, and the mags are semi-reasonable.

Since I am trying to keep with the same system, the Glock should be mentioned, but I have heard not very good things about the G21.

I know I will get hung for this, but I don't care for the 1911.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Funny this thread should pop up. I've been wondering the same thing.

I really like the HK45. But it is so expensive, and the pricing on the mags is absolutely insane.

The M&P 45 can be had in FDE which I think is really cool, and the mags are semi-reasonable.

Since I am trying to keep with the same system, the Glock should be mentioned, but I have heard not very good things about the G21.

I know I will get hung for this, but I don't care for the 1911.
    What have you heard against the Glock 21? I've got a Glock 21SF and its by far one of my favorite Glocks. I prefer the feel of the larger Glock 20SF/21SF grips to the Glock 17/22 grip. I don't care for the hump on the 21 and 20, but the SF models are perfect for me. I've shot about 300 rounds so far through my Glock 21SF with zero problems. I mean that's not an amazing round count or anything but so far the pistol seems good to go.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    HK for durability, mechanical accuracy, and out of the box trigger. M&P for value. 1911 for general awesomeness.
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 03-11-09 at 23:47.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Stroker View Post
    What have you heard against the Glock 21? I've got a Glock 21SF and its by far one of my favorite Glocks. I prefer the feel of the larger Glock 20SF/21SF grips to the Glock 17/22 grip. I don't care for the hump on the 21 and 20, but the SF models are perfect for me. I've shot about 300 rounds so far through my Glock 21SF with zero problems. I mean that's not an amazing round count or anything but so far the pistol seems good to go.
    I love Glocks, and while the 21/21SF is a fine weapon in terms of reliability, it's not necessarily appropriate for every sized hand. I tried the SF after the standard 21 thinking it would improve, but it did not.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    +1 for FNP 45

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
    I carry a USPf 45 on duty and a USPc 45 off duty.
    ...then there's your answer.

Does having the laser grips on a HD gun outweigh having the familiarity with the USP?
    In my opinion, no. I'm certainly a HUGE fan of the laser for use in low light, but if I was given a choice between a weapon I wasn't familiar with that had a laser and a weapon that I was very familiar with that had only night sights, I'd pick the devil I knew. I know how well I can perform with night sights and a flashlight and while there's certainly room for improvement, I can still get the job done.

The M&Ps seem to be the cat's meow right now and it's always nice to branch out. What do the pros think??
    Here's my 2 cents:

What can you afford? If your budget is so tight that you're making this purchase with little breathing room then sticking to the weapon you know best would be the best way to go.

If, however, you have some breathing room and have more than just the basic goal of saving your bacon with this pistol in mind (such as T&E of a new design you've heard a lot about) then go ahead and buy the M&P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Stroker View Post
    What have you heard against the Glock 21?
    This thread.

Not saying it should matter one way or another, but you can't pretend that the information does not exist.

ToddG Guest
    <-- confused

If you're issued a USP45, can you not use that as your night stand gun?

If you bought the M&P45, can you use it as your duty gun?

If you are locked in to the USP45 as a duty weapon, my recommendation is to use and carry guns as similar in operation as possible. While I'd choose the M&P45 over a USP45 in a heartbeat, I wouldn't want to be stuck training with both and needing to wrap my brain around which gun I had in my hand when something scary wakes me up at 0130 ...

Between the HK45 and the M&P45, I think you have a much tougher choice that is going to come down to features (trigger options primarily). Again, since you're already using a hammer-fired HK, the HK45 makes more sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    This thread.

Not saying it should matter one way or another, but you can't pretend that the information does not exist.
    I wasn't. I hadn't seen that thread before, nor have I ever heard anything negative about the Glock 21. The main complaint I've always heard was that the grip was too large for some people's taste. While I respect and value the opinions of Larry Vickers and other professionals in the industry, I don't hang on their every word. That test in that one thread was with one Glock 21 from the sound of it. Hardly a reliable sampling. The results are interesting to say the least and somewhat shocking. While its good to know that the pistol in question may not be the best in a sandy enviroment, at least I now know that there is some concern with the Glock 21 in that regard. Good food for thought. Though I won't be trudging through the sands of Iraq anytime soon with one and probably never will. So far mine has been flawless and while it may not be perfect (no gun is IMO) I think that it suits my purposes well. Many people had similar feelings in the thread you linked. Most of us, even the LEOs among us won't ever put any sidearm through that type of abuse.
    Last edited by Jack_Stroker; 03-12-09 at 14:40.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast