Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfishman View Post
    Suggestions? Pics? Offers?
    Looking for something small that packs a decent punch.
    Some sort of S&W J frame is going to be the pocket gun that packs the bare minimum of "punch" necessary for a primary handgun, in my opinion. They adapt well to pocket carry either as a primary or a backup piece, they are extremely reliable, and with the addition of CT Laser Grips they are more capable than most people realize.

I own the Ruger LCP and I carry it on occasion as a tertiary handgun, but I don't consider it to be potent enough to use as a primary carry gun. It's certainly better than fingernails, but it's not something I would carry as a primary defensive tool unless I really had no other choice. Mine has been reliable through about 600 rounds so far, but small automatics are not known for their reliability. A CT laser module is of great benefit to the LCP (and similar handguns) as well.

EDIT -- as for your "no revolvers" stance, I strongly urge you to reconsider. There is a reason why the J frame is probably S&W's all-time best selling handgun. There is a reason why S&W has a wide variety of small, light, concealable revolvers in their lineup. The S&W J frame is quite possibly THE most practical handgun ever invented. They certainly aren't perfect, but it is extremely difficult to find another weapon that combines concealability, reliability, power, safety, and versatility like the J frame.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 03-12-09 at 08:00.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Ruger LCP or Smith 442 seem to be very popular choices.
    I have, and have carried, both as BUGs and rare-occasion primaries. The LCP is with me every day, now.

Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Hasn’t the Ruger had numerous recalls in its fairly short life? Not sure I would trust my life with it especially when you’re behind the curve caliber wise do to size.
    One recall. No question, the gun has suffered some growing pains. Mine has been 100% post-recall.

The .380 isn't a .45; the .45 isn't a .308; the .308 isn't a .50; the .50 isn't a 16" naval gun. Carry something bigger when you can, sure. But the .380 beats the hell out of having nothing at all, and there are times I can carry my LCP (due to environment or clothing restrictions) that I'd otherwise be unarmed.

Feedback Score
    I knew the no revolver comment would get ya'll going. Just looking for a small semi for pocket carry, call it personal prefrence.

The kel tec is certainly on the list.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have owned two P3ATs and both have been great guns. I had two for awhile but sold one to buy a Taurus 605 (the poor mans Snubby). I put Crimson Trace grips on it and really like having a choice between tiny and small weapons to choose from.

I just picked up an Armalaser for the P3AT that is my always gun. It has no useful sights and yes I assume that I will be point shooting at .380 distances, but it gives a measure of comfort just in case...

It even slips into my pajama pockets!

Most difficult now is finding .380 ammo. Cabela's was totally out yesterday. Good thing I have a stash. I did order some from sportsman's warehouse last week.

Just my $.02

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

ToddG Guest
    Between the P3AT and the LCP, I much prefer the LCP.

From the samples I've used, the LCP is much more accurate especially at greater distances. The LCP is more likely to be properly regulated (POA=POI). Kel-Tec had the same exact issue that caused the LCP recall, but instead of recalling old guns they simply changed production so the new guns wouldn't have the problem; so while Ruger took extremely costly and embarrassing steps to make sure we weren't walking around with guns that could go off when dropped, KT simply decided it wasn't a big enough risk to worry about.

My expectation is that the LCP will prove to be more robust over time, as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Hasn’t the Ruger had numerous recalls in its fairly short life? Not sure I would trust my life with it especially when you’re behind the curve caliber wise do to size.

With spring and summer coming, I definitely understand the need. What about a KelTec?
    They were essentially the same pistol when the LCP came out. Ruger recalled it for a redesigned part but Keltec still hasn't after all this time. That tells me a little bit about both companies.

Ruger pays for overnight shipping to and from the factory, and gives you a free magazine for your trouble. I still haven't had any luck with Kel-Tec after trying to get a dummy gun from them for almost two years. I know who would get my money....

Feedback Score
    how do the ruger and keltec compare pricewise?

Feedback Score
    When I got my LCP, back in May, I paid $290 plus tax. that brought it to about $310. The Kel-tecs were in the $270 range.

Just checking on Gunbroker, I see some LCP's are bidding close to the $400 range . One dealer has a Buy Now price of $370. Wow! this panick buying is getting out of hand.

I love my LCP. But, for that much, I would look at a S&W 442, or look at one of the newer .380s coming out.

eta: forget what I said about the newer .380's. They are even more expensive.
    Last edited by woodandsteel; 03-12-09 at 11:47. Reason: Changed my mind after more research

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfishman View Post
    how do the ruger and keltec compare pricewise?
    The resource I use to gauge these questions is the facility on GunBroker that permits you to review auctions that have closed. I believe you need to be a member to access this capability. I use a 30 day horizon and check closed auctions that have ended in a sale.

Using this method gives you a good measure of the market because they are real sales, not auction starting prices. It also gives you a measure of the frequency of actual sales so you can decide if it is worth your time to use GunBroker as an acquisition path. 30 days is my horizon, but you can select other time frames.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    what about 9mms, I know keltec has the PF9. are there other similar sized ones? what are your experiences/opinions on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast