Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Moderation

Feedback Score
    Todd, the analogy about flipping off the LEO is close. I guess I missed the point or seperation of how mods work here. I played on a team made up of State Troops (my dad retired from there), and we would play other police teams. No blood no foul and everyone caught the elbows and sometimes illegals blocks, but it was part of the game and we laughed about it later. however, the ref never stopped the game, said we were disrespecting them by giving them an elbow, and awarded a technical. When they were in uniform I definitely treated them different, and they acted different as was their responsibility.

the forum just like b-ball game has rules and we played by them and accepted the ref's decisions; no problem with that. But when you play the game, realize there will be contact. If you voice an opinion, realize there may be a counter opinion. As you pointed out, had the "BS" call been to any other member, it would have be swept along with the thread and forgotten, but it was made to a mod that was participating in the conversation of the thread...............they were in the game.

Perhaps this will serve to educate others on how to converse with mods and will save future grief. Hopefully everyone will learn from it. I have.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Oddly enough, I also received my first "b*tch slapping" this morning for an inadvertent violation of the Obama/AWB post policy.
    AC
    AC, I too received my 1st *Infraction* recently, and it required my going to counseling because I felt un-American and seedy for my disobedience.

Prior to counseling I prepared a spectacular rebuttal to the heinous charges leveled against me.

I went and re-read the MSF rules regarding sales and indeed I had broken the law; granted the violation was unintentional and certainly not for personal gain.

I pondered the reality of my situation and decided to disengage.

The *Infractions* have since expired and my counseling sessions, 1 1/2 hours away from where I live, have been cut down to 2 times a week.

Just my > DEEP< >THOUGHTS < (with reverb and echo) ......by Jack Handy

Guns kill people who have guns and want to kill people.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've been "smacked" once or twice by a mod, but I would never say I was treated unfairly even if I disagreed.

I'm appreciative of the mods and whatever the rules/standards might be, they go out of their way to apply them consistently.

They don't play favorites and in my experience, even when I've been less than appreciative privately, they keep an even hand publicly.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    They don't play favorites and in my experience, even when I've been less than appreciative privately, they keep an even hand publicly.
    I would concur with that.

In a perfect world, I would much prefer that a member's past history and reputation be considered when meting out punishment, but I've held Moderator responsibilities on boards that are exponentially larger than this one, and the truth of the matter is that it is unrealistic to expect every staffer to be able to discern the wheat from the chaff in a given situation. It's the difference between justice and fairness ... and we tend to get justice around here. Can't really argue the point, even if the voltage on the Infractionometer is a cranked up a bit too high for my tastes at times. I don't want idiots to get free rein, but I would like to see core contributors treated with a modicum of deference when there is any doubt in such matters.

Yes, I'm still mortified to be labeled an evildoer -- even on a minor league scale -- but I'm pretty sure that I'll recover. Eventually.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I've been smacked a few times and all but 2 were warranted imo as I was in direct violation of a printed rule. The other 2.... I chalked it up to bad days on the part of the moderator and moved on. We all act like children sometimes on here at one time or another and katar and the others running around with a ruler smacking us has got to be tiring, annoying, and frustrating. I'd rather have it like it is than any other way I'm damn sure of that. Keeps to bullshit out of here and the cream at the top.

It ain't perfect, but it's the best I've come across.

Feedback Score
    I was permanently banned from another site for telling of various problems I have personally had with a company. Not things I read about on the errornet, heard at the local greasy spoon, but issues that I have personally experienced. I had emails from 3 Mods and the Head Honcho himself with in minutes. All of them banned me. I guess if your a paid sponsor you can get away with murder.

Mods are people too.
    Some people I would invite into my home, some I'd slam the door on.
    Usually if you keep your senses tuned, you can tell which is which.

Feedback Score
    Like with all websites, there are moderators who enjoy their job way too much, and let others know it.

There are those who are good at it, and who are bad at it.

All forums suffer from these problems, it is what it is.

My experience here calling bullshit on moderators comments has never been negative per se, usually things are edited and threads are trashed, which in itself could be a whole other discussion.

It is a thankless job I agree, but it is still a *voluntary* thankless job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Like with all websites, there are moderators who enjoy their job way too much, and let others know it.

There are those who are good at it, and who are bad at it.

All forums suffer from these problems, it is what it is.

My experience here calling bullshit on moderators comments has never been negative per se, usually things are edited and threads are trashed, which in itself could be a whole other discussion.

It is a thankless job I agree, but it is still a *voluntary* thankless job.
    I have caught OS Moderators lying threw their teeth. Usually when they veer off firearms related topics, sometimes not. I called one out on an outrageous whopper. I learned never to do that again, just let them tell their lies to the unknowing and remain fools to the knowing.

Again most are good people. Some, well....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HAIL-CAESAR View Post
    I have caught OS Moderators lying threw their teeth. Usually when they veer off firearms related topics, sometimes not. I called one out on an outrageous whopper. I learned never to do that again, just let them tell their lies to the unknowing and remain fools to the knowing.

Todd made a good analogy and it applies here. You get pulled over by LEO and even though you know it's a chicken s#@t stop, you don't tell them they are full of it. You just accept it cuz it's a no win situation. Most LEO's play fair, same as mods; others are in the game for reasons beyond enforcement. I guess bottom line is that regardless of the situation, whether right or wrong, don't contradict 'em, and don't complain, because it only adds to the misery. I've only had a very few LEO's, or mods that ever admitted to a mistake; those are the ones that retain the trust they started with.

What's that saying.............Who watches the Watchers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HAIL-CAESAR View Post

Todd made a good analogy and it applies here. You get pulled over by LEO and even though you know it's a chicken s#@t stop, you don't tell them they are full of it. You just accept it cuz it's a no win situation. Most LEO's play fair, same as mods; others are in the game for reasons beyond enforcement. I guess bottom line is that regardless of the situation, whether right or wrong, don't contradict 'em, and don't complain, because it only adds to the misery. I've only had a very few LEO's, or mods that ever admitted to a mistake; those are the ones that retain the respect they started with.

What's that saying.............Who watches the Watchers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast