Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on build... getting a Cav Lower (ended up with a STAG too).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Advice on build... getting a Cav Lower (ended up with a STAG too).

Well, my Cavalry Arms Lower (OD green) should arrive Wednesday. I have a Colt 6920 already and this will be my first AR that didn't already come as a complete rifle.

First, what do I need as far as a LPK? Obviously I won't need a grip or buttstock. Do any parts vary or will any LPK do? Of course I have to find a LPK that's actually in stock.

Second, I'm leaning toward a BMC middy. I have tossed around the idea of an 18" upper or Possibly a 14.5" upper for the shorter length, but may leave that for a second build down the road with a collapsible stock and aluminum lower. What do you think.

Hummm... maybe I sould get two more lower and have them all.
    Colt 16" CAR
    Cav w/ 16" middy
    14.5"
    18"

but, the budget may not be able to fund that dream any time soon.
    Last edited by RojasTKD; 03-18-09 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    The front take-down pin is different on the Cav lowers. It's been a few years since I had a CavArms rifle, so I don't remember if any of the other parts differ from the norm.

Feedback Score
    The Cav lower comes with a pivot and TD pin I believe that is similar to the KNS push button type.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys...

So all I need as a Lower Parts Kit and that should do it.

Should 16" middy run find with a H3 buffer or should I run something different.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post
    Thanks guys...

So all I need as a Lower Parts Kit and that should do it.

Should 16" middy run find with a H3 buffer or should I run something different.
    LPK and you're all set, although you'll have a few parts leftover. The recommended buffer is a standard carbine buffer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Eric... Now to find a LPK in stock somewhere.

I already have to bug for an aluminum lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post
    Thanks Eric... Now to find a LPK in stock somewhere.

I already have to bug for an aluminum lower.
    You will find the the buffer retainer hole is bit undersized. You will have to chase the hole with a 1/4" reamer to get it to fit. If you don't, your buffer retainer will get stuck.

Ask me how I know.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."--- Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Bob View Post
    You will find the the buffer retainer hole is bit undersized. You will have to chase the hole with a 1/4" reamer to get it to fit. If you don't, your buffer retainer will get stuck.

Ask me how I know.
    How do you know?.... LOL... Thanks for the heads up.

While I was at my FFL today picking up my Cav lower I discovered he had just gotten a shipment of Stag lowers. I walk out with both, what could I do he offered me a bit of a discount if I wanted one. Considering how lowers are hard to get especially at a decent price I just had to do it.

Hummm... To SBR or not to SBR one... that is the question?

Now, if only I could find a couple of LPKs in stock.
    Last edited by RojasTKD; 03-18-09 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    From what I have seen, the LPK may be the hardest to get for a decent price. I've seen them go from 75 bucks up. If I see some, i'll give you a shout.

Red
    ‘‘Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined’’

— Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks...

yeah, LPKs are nowhere to be found. If you do find some they are asking BIG bucks.

Is there a good place to order at a fair price and get on the back order list. I'd be willing to pay $75/$85 for one (actually I'd get two) as long as it a decent brand. I hear DPMS has issues with not always being in spec, missing parts and lousy trigger so rather stay away from them.

Is there some rank to who make the better LPKs? I've seen Stag, RRA, CCMG, Bushmaster, Hi Standard, and of course DPMS (is that a good orger?).
    Last edited by RojasTKD; 03-18-09 at 22:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast