Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pistol for my Dad

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    He has also shot a Sig 228. The Sig was a sweet shooter. Very smooth. Too bad you can't buy them new anymore.

I'm looking at the Sigs. I'm just not sure if the newer Sigs are as smooth or as well made as that 228 was. Opinions?

I also recommend the Glock 17 or 19 with my preference being the 19. If I could only have one choice for myself it would still be the G19.
    The SIG P228 is currently available in a new railed version. This will appearently finally be the last ones made as I read on SIG's German site that the machinery that makes the stamped slides was shut down back last summer.
    I got one of these new 228Rs and really like it. They are currently available from Sports South, RSR, and straight from SIG.

Here it is with my older 228

I think its just as nice as my older one and balances the same also. The rail doesn't change those characteristics for me.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score

j/k

You're no help! I was recently bidding on a model 19. When the bids got close to $500.00 before shipping and FFL fees, I knew my dreams of one day owning a model 19 were over. Although, I do have a model 66 no-dash, that I will never part with. I love those old Smith's

Moral of the story, never ever pass up an opportunity to buy a nice gun.
    ^This.

I've been screwed over several times on that. I've passed on a few good deals periodically and always kick myself for it too. Among the highlights, I passed on a Barrett M82A1 for $7,000, an AR-50 for $2,600, a like new Bushmaster AR-15 with 5,000 rounds of ammunition for $1,000. (Several years ago, not recently.) a Beretta 92FS for $350 (because I already had one) and an H&K USP Compact for $450.00. (On that last one I really didn't have the money at the time as this was several years ago.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    I

Here it is with my older 228

I think its just as nice as my older one and balances the same also. The rail doesn't change those characteristics for me.

Wow! That is nice! I thought the 228 was long gone. I'll need to look at one of those for myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Stroker View Post
    ^This.

I've been screwed over several times on that. I've passed on a few good deals periodically and always kick myself for it too. Among the highlights, I passed on a Barrett M82A1 for $7,000, an AR-50 for $2,600, a like new Bushmaster AR-15 with 5,000 rounds of ammunition for $1,000. (Several years ago, not recently.) a Beretta 92FS for $350 (because I already had one) and an H&K USP Compact for $450.00. (On that last one I really didn't have the money at the time as this was several years ago.)

Yeah, there are a few deals that I passed on that I keep kicking myself for.

It looks like 100 percent of you are recommending the Glock. Cool! I only have .40cal Glocks. So, maybe my Dad and I can go in and get a group buy on a couple of 9 mm Glocks.

I always thought that a gun collection wasn't complete unless it had a Glock 19 in it. One day, I hope to have a glock 34 as well. But that is for another thread.

Thank you all for your responses.

Feedback Score
    I'll be another one recommending a G19. They are boringly reliable, simple to use, no drama guns.

Feedback Score
    I hope you guys don't mind, but I do have one more question.

For those of you with both the Glock 17 and 19, which do you prefer. I'm looking for which one you think is the better shooter. And which when feels better in your hand. I know this is very subjective. But I have heard people before say that they shoot better with a 19 then they do with the 17.

As I said earlier, my Dad will probably use this as a range gun and maybe home defense. I don't see my dad ever getting a CCL for it. Although he might, due to a newly elected Sheriff who has made it easier for people to get CCLs.

Feedback Score
    me personally and most of my co-workers liked the m&p design over the glock. our qualification scores rose dramatically and those that didn't enjoy shooting now do. we are shooting the full size .40 and so far i've heard nothing but compliments for the gun selection.

Feedback Score
    I hope you guys don't mind, but I do have one more question.

For those of you with both the Glock 17 and 19, which do you prefer. I'm looking for which one you think is the better shooter. And which when feels better in your hand. I know this is very subjective. But I have heard people before say that they shoot better with a 19 then they do with the 17.

As I said earlier, my Dad will probably use this as a range gun and maybe home defense. I don't see my dad ever getting a CCL for it. Although he might, due to a newly elected Sheriff who has made it easier for people to get CCLs.
    I've handled plenty of Glock 22's and 17's. I own a Glock 21SF, Glock 20SF and a Glock 23. I prefer the larger guns over the smaller 23 as the grip on the 23 is borderline too small for my hands. My pinky almost hangs off the bottom.

Feedback Score
    My first two issued Glocks were 2nd generation Glock 22's. I bought my first Glock from my department. I now wish I would have bought the second one as well.

When we went to the 3rd generation Glocks, we had a range session where they allowed us to shoot a total of three rounds out of the Glock 22 or 23 to see which we prefered. I thought the 23 felt better, so I chose that as my duty weapon.

When we trade our Glocks in again, I will be sure to go with the larger Glock 22 again. I like the fact that the 23 is slighlty easier to conceal off duty. But, I also find that I get a better grip with the Glock 22.

I'll have my dad shoot my 22 and 23 and see which is more comforatable to him. I'll let him know that the 9mm will be softer shooting gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firecop019 View Post
    me personally and most of my co-workers liked the m&p design over the glock. our qualification scores rose dramatically and those that didn't enjoy shooting now do. we are shooting the full size .40 and so far i've heard nothing but compliments for the gun selection.
    I'll have my Dad look at the S&W.

I don't know why, but for some reason the M&P series really doesn't appeal to me personally. I haven't heard anything negative about them. It could be that I am still upset about them putting the lock on their revolvers. Plus, S&W doesn't make the equivualent of a six shot K frame anymore. If you want anything that resembles a K frame you have to go with their 7 shot model 619 or 620.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast