Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pistol for my Dad

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    I'll have my Dad look at the S&W.

I don't know why, but for some reason the M&P series really doesn't appeal to me personally. I haven't heard anything negative about them. It could be that I am still upset about them putting the lock on their revolvers. Plus, S&W doesn't make the equivualent of a six shot K frame anymore. If you want anything that resembles a K frame you have to go with their 7 shot model 619 or 620.
    The Smith & Wesson M&P doesn't really appeal to me either. I'm sure its a fine gun. By all accounts they are. After handling them, I just sort of feel "meh" about them. The lock doesn't bother me. I am not sure why it would bother anyone. I think that's just people being stubborn and traditional. I don't care for the reasons why the lock is there, but it isn't as if it has ever engaged on me when it shouldn't have. I've just ignored the feature on my post-lock Smith & Wesson and I largely forget the gun has it. I've also got a pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolver. (K-Frame actually) and while I have looked at some of the newer revolvers and I've never been impressed with any of them enough to buy one (outside of the .500 Magnum) I can't see how adding more ammunition capacity is a bad thing.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say that they hated a gun because it held to many bullets.

Remember the Villian? A seven shot six shooter is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    That picture of Arnold is funny. I was actually going to talk about that movie while discussing "seven shot six shooters" in my earlier comment.

I guess I'm just too much of a traditionalist. I am actually a fan of their J-Frame revolvers. I was also looking at ther 686p in a 3 inch configuration. I am hesitant though. I have to wonder how much bigger the cylinder would be on a 7 shooter. I would want the three inch model for carry purposes. Just wondering if the 7 shot revolver is concealable enough.

Feedback Score
    That picture of Arnold is funny. I was actually going to talk about that movie while discussing "seven shot six shooters" in my earlier comment.

I guess I'm just too much of a traditionalist. I am actually a fan of their J-Frame revolvers. I was also looking at ther 686p in a 3 inch configuration. I am hesitant though. I have to wonder how much bigger the cylinder would be on a 7 shooter. I would want the three inch model for carry purposes. Just wondering if the 7 shot revolver is concealable enough.
    I don't think the seven shot cylinders are larger. I think the chamber walls are thinner due to advances in metallurgy that allow for them to make thinner strong walls and thus put more chambers in a similar or same sized cylinder.

Feedback Score
    I'll admit that I am actually very ignorant on the newer Smith and Wesson revolvers. I've never seen any of the newer ones up close and personal. And I can be accused of being stubborn. It's the Czech and Irish blood in me.

There is a gun show in a couple of weeks. I will have to look for a 686p and see how it feels. If it isn't much bigger than a standard 686, I think I might just put a three inch model on my list of guns to buy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    S&W doesn't make the equivualent of a six shot K frame anymore. If you want anything that resembles a K frame you have to go with their 7 shot model 619 or 620.
    Actually they do. The 10, 14, 64, 67, & 315. I think thats all of them. All 6 shot .38Spl K frames.
    The seven shot models are L frames, one size up from the K. I agree, the 3" 686 would be the cat's meow.
    Last edited by cathellsk; 03-19-09 at 23:20.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    Model 19 S & W.....I have kicked myself so many times for selling that gun, it's not even fun anymore. Model 19-6. Went through the academy with it.

Anyway, I agree with the revolver route. Several nice choices from S & W, Colt, Ruger. .357 so he can shoot .38 and then shoot the .357 loads when his confidence is built up. Or, a J frame is an excellent choice. I have a 642 and enjoy shooting it. Maybe get his feet wet then move to a semi auto down the line?

YMMV
    Red
    ‘‘Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined’’

— Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Actually they do. The 10, 14, 64, 67, & 315. I think thats all of them. All 6 shot .38Spl K frames.
    The seven shot models are L frames, one size up from the K. I agree, the 3" 686 would be the cat's meow.
    Ooops!!

I screwed up that one. In my head I was thinking K Frames as being .357/.38's. I totally forgot about the .38 models.

I know they make the 64 in a three inch. I wish they would do the same with the new model 10's. I like blue revolvers the best.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ooops!!

I screwed up that one. In my head I was thinking K Frames as being .357/.38's. I totally forgot about the .38 models.

I know they make the 64 in a three inch. I wish they would do the same with the new model 10's. I like blue revolvers the best.

You are right about K frame .357s, they are a thing of the past.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    You are right about K frame .357s, they are a thing of the past.
    Not for me. I still have my Model 19.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    To the OP, I'd go with a 9mm. The Glock 17 or G19 are both excellent. Different people prefer one over the other. Let him feel both at a shop and decide.

I have been carrying the M&P for around 3 years as an issued gun. The more I shoot them, the more I like them. This is from a HUGE Glock 9mm fan. The current rebate for the M&P (two additional magazines) adds to the appeal.

I too am not happy with the current state of the S&W revolvers, and with the locks. But the M&P's are a totally different animal...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast