Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo 38 Special 4" Barrel

Feedback Score

Ammo 38 Special 4" Barrel

I believe that I should have defensive ammo for all large bore handguns that I own. This includes a S&W Combat Masterpiece in 38 Special that I inherited. I have been able to find information for 38 Special used in 2" BUGs. However, I have been unable to find much regarding 38 Special ammo for a 4" barrel. There does appear to be a general consensus that the "FBI" load of a 158 grain LSWCHP is a viable round, but I have not found supporting data. I suspect that since the 38 Special is no longer being used by law enforcement (I did see some federal rent a cops still packing S&W M&P Model 10s) that nobody is doing any meaningful testing or development for more traditional barrel lengths.
    Last edited by BillORights; 07-18-09 at 17:34.

Feedback Score
    I'm 99% certain DocGKR has advised that the Speer 135 +P grain Gold Dot would still be a good load for 4" barrels. It's my load of choice in my 4" Model 10.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm 99% certain DocGKR has advised that the Speer 135 +P grain Gold Dot would still be a good load for 4" barrels. It's my load of choice in my 4" Model 10.

The 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot +P is indeed king of the hill......and if I couldn't get any of that, then yes, the old FBI 158 gr. LSWC +P would be what I'd go with.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I also use the Gold Dot 135 +P.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I like the Winchester 158 grain 'FBI load' in a 4 inch barreled .38 Special...
    Winchester 148 grain HBWC in anything shorter than that...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot +P is indeed king of the hill......and if I couldn't get any of that, then yes, the old FBI 158 gr. LSWC +P would be what I'd go with.

This is what I do for my 38's same two loads

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    135gr Gold Dot or DPX, then the LSWCHP "FBI" loadings by one of the big three, then whatever I can get my hands on in a pinch.

That's my preference list for .38 ammo.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate all the responses. They pretty much match what I had gleaned from digging through this forum. However, all due respect, nobody has cited any data to back up the consensus.

There seems to be evidence that the 135 grain gold dot and the DPX do well from 2" barrel. It probably is reasonable to conclude that they will perform well with the nominal increase in velocity from a 4 inch barrel.

But I have not found any data, other than anecdote, about the "FBI" load. Although my personal prejudice towards heavier bullets tends to make me receptive to that premise.

Generally, for example, Speer does well in developing good performing defensive ammunition with its Gold Dot. So, I wonder about the performance say of their 125 grain +P 38 special ammunition, but I cannot find any data.

Again much obliged for all the people that have taken the time to respond with their considered thoughts.
    Last edited by BillORights; 07-20-09 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is tons of info available on the LSWCHPs, it's just most of what I have seen has been from the FBI.

It's also been used for a very long time in various venues where bad guys get shot often, Chicago and St. Louis come to mind.

These loadings are very much a known quantity, hence my answer.

Feedback Score
    Winchester's FBI load has been around since about 1972-73... the load number is X38SPD, the 'SPD' stands for St. Louis Police Department... the original customer for the load. This load was used by at least one agent in the Miami Shootout of 1986. The final shots used were this load, in fact. Expansion is about .57-.60", penetration is about 13.5". This is an extremely consistent performer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast