Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "State of the Art" SPR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"State of the Art" SPR

In the Centurion Arms SPR build thread it was said that not everything there would be considered "State of the Art".

What are recommendations for a "State of the Art" SPR.
    Barrel
    Rail
    Muxxle break/flash hider
    Upper Receiver
    Front and Rear BUIS

Thanks.
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You are going to get lots of opinions on your question. There is no solid answer on specific parts as you really don't need "billet" uppers and lowers, and sometimes a WOA barrel will shoot as good as a Noveske barrel.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the question becomes one of whether you're looking to be faithful to whatever the current issue guns(s) is or looking to build to your own purpose.

To me, for my purpose, it's going to be a 6.8 barrel at the heart, if I can just find the one I want.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys.
    I guess what I am asking is this, IF right now the same shooters could spec out what they would want on the Mk12 SPR what would be changed/updated. Obviously these guns have had some serious testing.

Flip that to the civilian side, what barrel is performing like the Douglass in the Mark 12 SPR. Obviously the Noveske Stainless and the Larue Stainless are doing good things.

WHat other barrel makers are getting this kind of performance.

The 3 gun shooters Like Taran Butler(?) what barrels are these guys running?

Jack
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well, starting here, the FF tube is probably the first thing I'd change. I'd lean more towards something like the Daniel Defense Lite Rail. I'd also prefer a cantilever throw-lever scope mount like the Larue SPR or SPR-E to the traditional rings on the issue gun. I'd use a collapsing stock like the Magpul UBR or Vltor Emod. For barrels I'd prefer a Noveske as (current market aside) they are available in several profiles and lengths. I'm leaning towards a 12.5" since with the right ammo in 6.8 the 12.5 can be a 200+ yard gun. Finally I'd finish off with something like the Leupold 1.5-5x MK4. I'd also like a relfex mount can for it that sits back over the barrel to reduce overall length of the can/rifle combo, like the Surefire FA68FR.

So basically it wouldn't look anything like a military SPR, but it would serve the same basic function. With a 16" barrel instead of the 12.5" I'm leaning towards, and perhaps a more powerful optic, I'm sure the 6.8 would have at least the same effective range.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-16-09 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you want to keep it as close to the SPR profile as possible with minor improvements:

Lothar/Lilja/Noveske/CLE/Douglass barrel (any of the above)
    LT Stealth Upper, Handguard
    Noveske Switchblock, or just Vltor Gas Block
    Leupold TS30 (ITMR 2.5-8x36mm) on SPR mount
    TROY BUIS, Harris bipod

If you want the nicest suppressed setup: OPS Collar, SEI Canadian G7 Vortex, OPS 16th Can (or 12th if reprofiled)
    Otherwise, the AAC SPR can would fit as well.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, starting here, the FF tube is probably the first thing I'd change. I'd lean more towards something like the Daniel Defense Lite Rail. I'd also prefer a cantilever throw-lever scope mount like the Larue SPR or SPR-E to the traditional rings on the issue gun. I'd use a collapsing stock like the Magpul UBR or Vltor Emod. For barrels I'd prefer a Noveske as (current market aside) they are available in several profiles and lengths. I'm leaning towards a 12.5" since with the right ammo in 6.8 the 12.5 can be a 200+ yard gun. Finally I'd finish off with something like the Leupold 1.5-5x MK4. I'd also like a relfex mount can for it that sits back over the barrel to reduce overall length of the can/rifle combo, like the Surefire FA68FR.

So basically it wouldn't look anything like a military SPR, but it would serve the same basic function. With a 16" barrel instead of the 12.5" I'm leaning towards, and perhaps a more powerful optic, I'm sure the 6.8 would have at least the same effective range.

Hey... my SPR build resembles your specs... except I have the 16" Lothar Walther barrel...

Last edited by Cameron; 03-16-09 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    I took the SPR rifle and expanded it to more of just the concept of an accurate portable AR. I ended up ordering a JP Enterprises 18 inch upper with the LMOS operating system, tunable gas port and heat sink. Going to drop it on top of a DPMS lower with Geissele Match trigger and UBR stock (might switch to a PRS).

Still going back and forth on an optic, but I have 4 months till I get the upper. Probably will really be my 3-gun rifle more than anything.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    MUR/noveske/geiselle/ubr/mark4/larue 11"

perfect SPR. i'm halfway there..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast