Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sig now shipping just 1 mag with commercial pistols

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by losbronces View Post
    I agree, but I can see the new CEO making his presentation to the BOD. He will show them how he has increased sales volumes and margins (not giving appropriate credit to BHO). I'm sure he will get a nice bonus, a salary increase and yet all the while he is leading Sig Sauer into future problems by creating the perception (at a minimum) of diminished quality and value in the product line. This will force Sig at some point to either lower prices or lose significant sales. At least, that is my opinion.
    The assumption made above is that the owners are more concerned with long term health than short term profit. On the contrary, indications are that Cohen ("The Kimber Guy") is doing exactly what the owners want and achieving precisely the goals the owners laid out.

After all, look at how much money Kimber makes every year without worrying about things like QC, service, LE sales, etc. ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    A local dealer here claims that Glock is doing the same thing, only putting one mag in with every gun (I've never seen anything official from Glock though). When I bought my P229 in 1994, it only came with one mag and this same dealer said Glock was on the one-mag policy then too. I had a suspicion that the dealer was taking the mags out and reselling them, but couldn't prove it.

Either way, it sounds like these manufacturers (or dealers) are dredging up ban-era policies to maximize their profits in these crazy times.
    I agree totally. This is BS of the highest order. Just like the last AWB when gun dealers were taking the extra mag out of the box, then leading you to another area of the store where he had a ton of extra mags at an extremely marked up price. Soon, other manufacturers will follow suit with the same steaming heap of crap. They should be totally shunned and boycotted.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The assumption made above is that the owners are more concerned with long term health than short term profit. On the contrary, indications are that Cohen ("The Kimber Guy") is doing exactly what the owners want and achieving precisely the goals the owners laid out.

After all, look at how much money Kimber makes every year without worrying about things like QC, service, LE sales, etc. ...
    I am stating my opinion that short-term decisions can lead to undesired consequences over the long-term. In this case, I think it will cost them, but time will tell.

Having been in a few BOD meetings, they always want the short term results and an improved long-term outlook. However, with bonuses, restricted stock and the like to be considered, decisions tend to favor the short-term results. And, yes, I know long-term we will all be dead.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by losbronces View Post
    I am stating my opinion that short-term decisions can lead to undesired consequences over the long-term. In this case, I think it will cost them, but time will tell.
    I agree 100%. But let's consider a scenario:

1. A bunch of Germans buy a gun manufacturing conglomerate because they love big game hunting and the conglomerate owns one of the best hunting rifle companies in the industry.
    2. The owners reorganize the conglomerate and the marketing plan to maximize exposure and sales for the hunting rifle company.
    3. The hunting rifle company fails to grow by any significant amount because in the world's largest market (USA) the guns are seen as too different and too expensive.
    4. While all this is happening, the pistol part of the conglomerate unexpectedly wins a huge (8-digit) contract.
    5. The Germans shift focus to make the conglomerate appear as financially attractive as possible over a few years.
    6. Once the conglomerate looks like it's printing money in the back room, it gets sold at a tidy profit to another company or group of investors that doesn't really appreciate just how damaged the conglomerate's reputation has become.

As an aside, 1-5 have already happened.
    Last edited by ToddG; 03-20-09 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This move is one step closer to the bubba category. Bubba pistols only come with one magazine.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Doesn't bother me, I don't like Sigs to start with. For the price of a couple Sig mags I can buy another Glock. This just goes along with the chinese optic clones, cheap light combos etc they have been starting to sell.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The cheap chinese red dot and light stuff they sell is an embarrassment.

If their CEO had his shit together, they wouldn't be selling these extra "trinkets" and all the handling and bullshit time they waste including them with a gun.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The cheap chinese red dot and light stuff they sell is an embarrassment.
    It's akin to Colt or LMT peddling Leapers/UTG as a marketing ploy. Shows how out of touch the management is at SIG.

Feedback Score
    Eh who cares. There are already a dozen reasons not to buy a SIG as is. This is just something else to add to the list.

SIG just isnt the same company anymore. They are a hair from being Taurus 2.0
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123