Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $1200 Max Home Protection

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m6scout View Post

I am looking for info/input on the best rifle/accesaries for a home defense AR rifle

Why do you want an AR to protect your home? I've always considered a pistol with low velocity rounds or a shotgun with bird shot better for protecting the house. If you have any neighbors every squeeze of the trigger on an AR can be a liability.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    WTF is with all these DPMS-huggers around lately? It's getting disgusting.
    Yupp.

Its all the same type of people:

"I can get a DPMS for less and its just as good as the rest"
    "I can buy a hi-point for less and its just as good as a glock"
    "I can buy UTG/Leepers rails for $60 and they are just as good as DD"
    "I can get natural lite and its just as good as miller light"

Oh and the famous line:

"Oh I'll just get the cheaper one right now, I don't see no sense in buying the original, real, more expensive one, if this one is just as good for a lower price"
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Why do you want an AR to protect your home? I've always considered a pistol with low velocity rounds or a shotgun with bird shot better for protecting the house. If you have any neighbors every squeeze of the trigger on an AR can be a liability.
    This would be incorrect thinking. Remember that a pistol is used to fight your way to a long gun. I would suggest that you do a little more research on ballistics and the .223.

Think about the fact that the majority of ALL SWAT teams in the US use an AR.

We are also not interested in "wounding or scaring" the intruder.

Dean men tell no tales.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Actually, I think that an AR is the perfect HD weapon, and is even better if you have an SBR.

Low recoil and collapsible stock means anybody can use it, plus the low recoil makes it easier to stay on target for followup shots
    Short weapon, even with a 16" bbl.
    RDS easily mounted securely
    Quick reloading
    Has the range if you are fighting outside. Important consideration for me, as I live out in the country.
    Last edited by Avenger29; 03-20-09 at 10:03.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Actually, I think that an AR is the perfect HD weapon, and is even better if you have an SBR.

Correct.

C4

Feedback Score
    I'd say look for a Charles Daly Defense D-M4, it is set up with proper staking and ready to go. They should be able to be found for around $1,000 plus tax and background check, that will be near $1,100. Get 4 P-Mags for it to start, you can find them for around $15-$18 each. That takes you to your $1200 once you pay shipping.

Wait a paycheck or 3 and get yourself a Streamlight TLR-1 light and you can get an inexpensive front site side mount rail to put it on. That should total out at about $150 plus shipping.

Then, above and beyond your cost for hardware, you need to find ammo and spend some hours getting to know your new tool. Ammo is hard to find currently for just about everything.

This is my Charle Daly D-M4 with the light as I described. The light was crooked, I have since loosened the bolt and adjusted it to be parrallel to the barrel. Also, the scope is from another rifle, it was on there for short term playing. I keep a red dot on it.

I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"man money"

And if you haven't already discovered the following..........

There is "common" money in a relationship, and there is "individual" money - on BOTH sides. It sounds like the $1200 will come out of common money. The accessories will need to (slowly & carefully) come out of your "man money" account.
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    You can put together an LMT for about $1k ($480 for an upper, $130 for the bolt carrier group, $330 for a lower, $30 for handguards, $20 for charging handle). Add 4 Pmags for another $60 and a LaRue rear sight for $90, and shipping should bring that to about $1200.

Granted, this will be an exercise in patience, too.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

hahaha, good one! you almost had me.

hahahha...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    hahaha, good one! you almost had me.

hahahha...
    Didn't someone post that crap in the "Dumbest Things You have Heard in a Gun Store" Thread?

...keep your bird shot, I'll keep my AR.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 03-20-09 at 15:26. Reason: wording
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast