Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $1200 Max Home Protection

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Why do you want an AR to protect your home? I've always considered a pistol with low velocity rounds or a shotgun with bird shot better for protecting the house. If you have any neighbors every squeeze of the trigger on an AR can be a liability.
    birdshot is for birds
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    + 1 Daly M4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This would be incorrect thinking. Remember that a pistol is used to fight your way to a long gun. I would suggest that you do a little more research on ballistics and the .223.

Think about the fact that the majority of ALL SWAT teams in the US use an AR.

We are also not interested in "wounding or scaring" the intruder.

Dean men tell no tales.

C4
    I think it depends on the internal demensions of the home/appartment. A hand gun is a defensive weapon that could be kept in a small under bed safe or in a night stand. A rifle is an offencive weapon. My home is very small including the size of the rooms ( my bed room is 9x9 plus furishings) . Imo a hand gun would be a lot easier to grab and confront an intruder that breaks in while I am a sleep especially if he/they got to my bed room before I heard them. I just dont see a lot of room to manuver with a rifle, plus with a hand gun I have a free hand if I choose for a light off to the side or for the phone. Just my HUMBLE opinion.

If you do choose an AR (you may allready have a hand gun) I agree with all that Grant says. My 1st AR was an LMT I purchased from Grant. I am not sorry It is a quality weapon the S&W I just got dosnt compare to the LMT.
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 03-20-09 at 20:27. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Think about the fact that the majority of ALL SWAT teams in the US use an AR.

We are also not interested in "wounding or scaring" the intruder.

C4
    Well, we're not talking about swat here. We're talking about home defense. If you are worried about taking the fight outside your house and into the streets you had better worry about some jail time as well. If the intruder is outside your house, getting the heck out of dodge, why would you want to gun him down in the street? This is not a scenario from the movies, this could be the real deal.

Over-penetration is a liability. If you are like the majority of Americans and live in an urban area and decide it is a good idea to use an M4 inside your house you are a fool. You will put your family and everyone near your house in danger because you will shoot through your walls. Half an inch of sheetrock, a little insulation and 7/16" plywood will not stop a high velocity round.

Aside from that, it is much easier to retain control of a pistol than an AR. You can keep your pistol tucked to your side with your hand out to fend off an intruder, while still being able to pump rounds into his gut if need be. Inside close quarters, when it is just you to defend yourself with no back-up it would be much easier for a perp to hide around a corner, wait for that muzzle to come around and get you tangle****ed up with your weapon. This is an easy scenario to imagine, especially if the perp has had any martial arts training that works on close-in fighting, like kenpo.

And I am interested in wounding and incompacitation. Anyone that would say they want to kill is a sociopath or a fool. Would you want to live with that on your conscious? Not an easy thing to do, no matter how justified.

Bird shot is for birds. Do you want to get shot with it? It would ruin your day.
    Last edited by panzerr; 03-21-09 at 08:59. Reason: sp
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

ToddG Guest
    Over-penetration is a liability. If you are like the majority of Americans and live in an urban area and decide it is a good idea to use an M4 inside your house you are a fool. You will put your family and everyone near your house in danger because you will shoot through your walls. Half an inch of sheetrock, a little insulation and 7/16" plywood will not stop a high velocity round.
    You're pullin' our leg, right?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, we're not talking about swat here. We're talking about home defense. If you are worried about taking the fight outside your house and into the streets you had better worry about some jail time as well. If the intruder is outside your house, getting the heck out of dodge, why would you want to gun him down in the street? This is not a scenario from the movies, this could be the real deal.

Aside from that, it is much easier to retain control of a pistol than an AR. You can keep your pistol tucked to your side with your hand out to fend off an intruder, while still being able to pump rounds into his gut if need be. Inside close quarters, when it is just you to defend yourself with no back-up it would be much easier for a perp to hide around a corner, wait for that muzzle to come around and get you tangle****ed up with your weapon. This is an easy scenario to imagine, especially if the perp has had any martial arts training that works on close-in fighting, like kenpo.

And I am interested in wounding and incompacitation. Anyone that would say they want to kill is a sociopath or a fool. Would you want to live with that on your conscious? Not an easy thing to do, no matter how justified.

Bird shot is for birds. Do you want to get shot with it? It would ruin your day.
    Considering bullet deformation/fragmentation and the amount of velocity lost from impact, I find the risk of over penetration being lethal being very low unless the bullet was a true AP round or heavier caliber. .223/5.56 is not known for its penetrating ability. I think over penetration is probably an urban myth in regards to .223/5.56.
    Last edited by Cagemonkey; 03-21-09 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    I'll try to find the link to the videos that show 9mm, 45, buck etc just cutting through 4-5simulated walls (drywall on both sides, 2x4's etc) and where the .223 effective stops going after the second wall.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Considering bullet deformation/fragmentation and the amount of velocity lost from impact, I find the risk of over penetration being lethal being very low unless the bullet was a true AP round or heavy caliber, for example, .50 Cal or greater. I think over penetration is probably an urban myth.
    I dont know what kind of castles (thick stone walls) you guys live in, but is very probable that a 5.56 round fired in your average plywood home would go through at least one wall or possible out of the home itself.. I live in a large city and at least a few times a year you read about a handgun round fired outside that misses its intended drug dealer and goes through the wall or door of a home and wounds or worse yet kills an inocent bystander while they are in there own home. You also read about houses with bullet holes in the country from a hunters wayward round and the nearest woods is a half mile away. I think Panzerr is also dead on about taking the fight outside of the home, you will likely end up in jail in most jurisdictions for that.

Feedback Score
    A mean person began shooting at me one day out the window of a mobile home, exposing only his face and the thing making orange flashes.

Finding this disconcerting, I fired one shot at him from 20 yards with a Glock 35 loaded with Remington GS 180s. It clipped the center frame portion of the window, blew glass into his face, missed his melon by an inch or 6, sailed through a closet full of clothes, the closet wall and zipped across the next room and lodged in the far wall of the trailer.

Our tactical team recently switched from MP5/40s to 6933s for better performance in such scenarios and reduced risk of overpenetration with handgun projectiles.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)

I don't want to get shot with a BB gun either, which has the potential to ruin my day as well. That doesn't mean it is the best choice for HD.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast